Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 12:29 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Hello, I'm currently out on LOA from a regional in Atlanta and will probably move to another company once my SI is approved, since my wife and I don't want to move. I actually meet the captain requirements but would want to work in a FO position for a while since it been 2 1/2 years since I actually flew last and most everything has been VFR. I see that you have a route that comes through Atlanta, but no base here, what options would I have. Thanks for you help.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by dualratedchoppa View Post
You're doing an awesome service to this thread and all the pilot thank you. Any idea when the EMB120 FO position would open up in Dallas?

They don’t actually have any EMB120s in Dallas, but they do have the BE1900s there!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:36 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Default only needing Captains?

Looks like there are no open First Officer slots at the moment
Old 10-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by dualratedchoppa View Post
You're doing an awesome service to this thread and all the pilot thank you. Any idea when the EMB120 FO position would open up in Dallas?
Thank you!
Likely not any time soon as we do not have any EMB120 routes out of DFW. That's what we put our regular FOs in and our only required two crew aircraft.
We do have the Accelerated Captain Program which would allow you to operate while living near DFW.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: Commercial single/mult engine IFR pilot
Question AMERIFLIGHT BE99 captain training progam.

I meet all of the requirements, except night hours for the ameriflight
Training BE99 Captain program. I guess it’s the “pay to fly” program? I don’t. Fully understand it. I have called directly and gotten good, fast responses but still unclear how I get paid to reach the 1200 TT
Required to legally fly the job. So this is hwremi stand
-1000TT
-100 Sim IFR/ 5 actual
-175 XC 50+ Miles
-500 XC point to point
-81 night.
-HP endorsment. 80+ hours in HP airplanes.
-830 PIC
-400+ dual given
-100+complex.

When I hit the 100 night, how does the program
Actually work? Do they pay u to fly around in a skywhak
While studying mateial they send you? Until one hits 1200 TT?
I have called them but I didn’t get the full answer. Help me out
If you can please. Ameriflight seems like the right path for me.

Thanks a million for the help,
Todd.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:55 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Pineduck73 View Post
I meet all of the requirements, except night hours for the ameriflight
Training BE99 Captain program. I guess it’s the “pay to fly” program? I don’t. Fully understand it. I have called directly and gotten good, fast responses but still unclear how I get paid to reach the 1200 TT
Required to legally fly the job. So this is hwremi stand
-1000TT
-100 Sim IFR/ 5 actual
-175 XC 50+ Miles
-500 XC point to point
-81 night.
-HP endorsment. 80+ hours in HP airplanes.
-830 PIC
-400+ dual given
-100+complex.

When I hit the 100 night, how does the program
Actually work? Do they pay u to fly around in a skywhak
While studying mateial they send you? Until one hits 1200 TT?
I have called them but I didn’t get the full answer. Help me out
If you can please. Ameriflight seems like the right path for me.

Thanks a million for the help,
Todd.
Hi, Todd!

I'm hoping I can help you out with some answers.
We don't have any pay to fly programs, especially in regards to BE99 Captains.

You might be talking about our Accelerated Captain Program - that puts pilots that have over 800 TT in the right seat of a BE99 or BE1900. You'll go through training first then we'll put you on our highest timed routes to get you to Captain mins asap. During your time as an ACP FO, we'll pay you (not Captain pay, but you'll get paid!) and cover travel, lodging, and per diem while away from your home on assignment at any of our bases. You'll be on an actual route, flying with an Ameriflight Captain.
Once you hit 1,200 TT, 50 ME, 500 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument, you'd become a full BE99 Captain.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:14 PM
SkyPaPa

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Hi, Todd!

I'm hoping I can help you out with some answers.
We don't have any pay to fly programs, especially in regards to BE99 Captains.

You might be talking about our Accelerated Captain Program - that puts pilots that have over 800 TT in the right seat of a BE99 or BE1900. You'll go through training first then we'll put you on our highest timed routes to get you to Captain mins asap. During your time as an ACP FO, we'll pay you (not Captain pay, but you'll get paid!) and cover travel, lodging, and per diem while away from your home on assignment at any of our bases. You'll be on an actual route, flying with an Ameriflight Captain.
Once you hit 1,200 TT, 50 ME, 500 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument, you'd become a full BE99 Captain.

Hope that helps!
I am in a very similar situation although I did apply for the BE 99 FO position. I am just short of 1100 hours and just short of the cross country hours. I was in email contact with a recruiter and was told to let them know when I get close to 1100. I replied that I was at 1085 and I did not get a reply. I assumed that meant I needed to be at 1100 or more. So would that be the case? Would my combination of just short of 1100 and just short of the 500 cross country (aprox 490) be the reason I am not yet getting an interview?
Old 10-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2018
Default Where do Ameriflight pilots live???

I'm not clear on where a person calls home with Ameriflight, hoping someone can clarify. Do you live near the central base and just hang out all day at the outstation? If so, what happens on a weekend when the last flight leaves you and the plane at the outstation? I'm SO confused.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by AV810 View Post
I'm not clear on where a person calls home with Ameriflight, hoping someone can clarify. Do you live near the central base and just hang out all day at the outstation? If so, what happens on a weekend when the last flight leaves you and the plane at the outstation? I'm SO confused.
Simply put, it depends...
Some routes are based at the hub...so afternoons at the outstation, unless it's an out and back run...there are a few of those at some bases, and often they rotate with the based pilots to get you a bit more time at home.
Some are out based...so you fly into the hub, spend the night, then fly out in the AM, then have all day at home...when I was starting out, the outbased runs IMO were pretty good (lower cost of living) if you are ok with smaller town life. The oubased runs are now typically in the minority now.
And some pilots are Home Based....
So it will be situation dependant...
If you go to the website, you can usually see on the specific runs/postions that are open, what the situation is.
Sorry to not have a simple answer, but it actually is an advantage....you can find what suits you best!

Last edited by ZippyNH; 10-18-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Few things for those looking to apply here:

Pay is great, especially for this job.

Flying is extremely enjoyable, planes are good as well.

If you get a good base, not having to commute is amazing.

You will get a lot of good experience here that introduces you to the world of commercial aviation.

There are no flow agreements, don’t expect to get hired by any of the airlines they mention on their websites, especially not at certain time periods.

You will not know your base ahead of time. You will likely not get the base you want. You will not get home based, don’t expect it. That’s how they rope you in.

You will get more pay than the standard they quote for most routes.

A lot of the cities they operate in have good standards of living.

Management is nearly universally terrible. The people themselves can be amazing, but no one department knows what the other is doing and communication is awful. Expect to not get answers or critical information without going out to ask for it. Assume the answers you get are wrong. The new ceo seems promising, but delivering on what’s promised seems to be a recurring issue.

Ameriflight will take care of you- probably. Have cash on hand to take care of expenses when you’re here, they might get you transportation and rental cars, they might not.

This is a great place to start your career, don’t plan on staying unless you fall in love with the flying and the schedule you get. Some bases have very dependable schedules, others will change it on you multiple times a week. There is no consistency here, until you’re very senior.

You will not get time off around the winter holidays-don’t expect it.

You will be in class with, and asked to fly with dangerous people. Do not assume they know how to fly just because they’ve been there longer than you or have been in aviation longer. The worst ones are typically the retirees looking for a second career, Ameriflight loves them, there’s reasons they should stay retired but Ameriflight keeps hiring them. If they break procedure report it-just don’t expect anyone to do anything about it. Keep yourself safe, follow procedure and speak up. Again, they probably won’t do anything about it, but don’t sacrifice your life just to get your hours. Lots of pilots here do things differently, that’s okay, but a lot of them do and say dangerous things because no one is watching them.

The training pipeline is awful, they have no idea what they’re doing week to week, much of the stuff you’ll learn is wrong or outdated, and you’ll be fed contradicting information by everyone. Study, in order, your GOM and opspecs(for Indoc), then your systems(for week 3), and then your flows (for simulator and checkride). You will be confused and lost and until they gut the training and get someone who knows how to run it, this won’t change.

You will get to fly some amazing airplanes in some amazing places while you’re here. Some runs will get boring fast, but that’s cargo life. As long as you follow procedure, keep your IFR skills up, and don’t get lazy, you’ll get paid well and get some good turbine time. Just don’t expect anything from Ameriflight management, and don’t let other pilots kill you, and you’ll be fine.

It’s not the best job, it’s not the worst. Solid B-.

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard nothing but good about FreightDog. Have them get you in contact with actual pilots if you have any questions.