Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 03-10-2019, 02:02 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2019
Default UPS to UPS via AMF

Currently a truck driver at UPS(14 years) going to SDF 5 days/wk. Also currently at 600tt w/instrument and commercial SEL checkride scheduled and MEL checkride endorsement but not scheduled. Looking for the best pathway from the Truck to the airline. Hell of a pay cut to do it via AMF but that might be the least painful route? Any advice?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by 2ninerniner2 View Post
Currently a truck driver at UPS(14 years) going to SDF 5 days/wk. Also currently at 600tt w/instrument and commercial SEL checkride scheduled and MEL checkride endorsement but not scheduled. Looking for the best pathway from the Truck to the airline. Hell of a pay cut to do it via AMF but that might be the least painful route? Any advice?
You’ll have to accept the pay at this point. Until they run out of people showing up to work for that wage, it will not go up much. I suggest instructing to 1200hrs, go to a 135 flying 1900/metro and get 1000hrs pic. Then see where you want to go next.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by 2ninerniner2 View Post
A freight pilot and CDL holder here... I drove during a industry downturn for a few years....and actually drove for almost 7 years doing a couple years of OTR, but mostly running a day-cab as a USPS contractor, was actually a great break, and it was nice having a "regular" family life for a few years.
Guess it's going to come down to your flexibility, and how much time you can take a pay cut. Honestly, I made similar $$ as a driver/ typed ATP turboprop captain....this will be generally true at MOST flying jobs going from Union CDL teamsters position to a flying job until you get to a "major" or are off probation as a captain at the better paid regionals (not counting one time bonuses that come and go).
At your experience level, you might be able to to buy enough multi engine time to start at AMF (with a few more hours) in the accelerated captain program, but the exact path will be up to you....do you keep building hours, and honing you basic skills (it appears you are making a reasonable wage, and are buying time at a good clip) or keep your $$, and use your savings to supplement you income for a few years..
This is largely a lifestyle/family question... family? Kids? Car/house payments? Supportive spouse? Flexibility to move or be away from home for months at a time?
Yes, trucking and flying cargo has some parallels, the pressures, and to a certain extent the lifestyle (more OTR than day-cab), and having management being at a distance....but there are some difference that you will need to decide if the change in quality of life merit's the pay change in you case.
Anything you do at this point is going to cost you time or $$$....so careful evaluate you options. Heck...you might even find cargo suits your personality better than the airlines.
Sorry for not having a clear cut answer, but there are so many variables, everything from flexibility with the family (most AMF routes are NOT commutable, so the plane you start in, based on experience will limit you base locations...the be-99 is likely as you first PIC aircraft, ACP or new hire captain with some time) to skill level, since some people that have owned planes sometimes have many hours, but can be weak in skills or knowledge...and they all affect the choices.
If it's you dream, it's certainly an option once you get a few more hours of multi engine time, and honestly, the skills and judgement you learn flying cargo is priceless....for some of us, it become a career choice fully unto itself, for others just a stepping stone.
The biggest plus...the only texting idiots swerving in front of us are the ones we see on our commute to/from home/hotel.... likewise I still smile when I look down at traffic jams!
I would suggest you read a few pages back in the thread, there is lots of info, much of it should be helpful in making a choice.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Hi FreightDogs. I have the 1,000pic, but I am short of the 1,800 hours. Currently sitting at 1,400tt, 370 multi, and 150 turbine. Would I be considered for a b1900 captain spot? The Ameriflight website says 1,800tt is minimum.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Hi, J!

Yes, 1,000 PIC is mostly a hard min. If you're under by a little, it's not too big of a deal especially if you can compensate somewhere else.
But for the most part, you'll need 1,000 PIC!
Old 03-13-2019, 05:37 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by mcnitchell View Post
Hi FreightDogs. I have the 1,000pic, but I am short of the 1,800 hours. Currently sitting at 1,400tt, 370 multi, and 150 turbine. Would I be considered for a b1900 captain spot? The Ameriflight website says 1,800tt is minimum.

Thanks!
Nick,

Messaged you in full on the PM you sent, but in short yes, it's possible to be considered for a BE1900 Captain position under 1,800 TT. It's just a matter of your other hours and experience - whether you can compensate somewhere else.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Ameriflight

Default UPS® FlightPath Program

Just a little update for everyone. We added pages to the Ameriflight website specific to our UPS® FlightPath Program.
Here's the link if you want to check it out: https://w3.ameriflight.com/ups-flightpath/
There are two paths - 1. Low time pilot not yet qualified to fly for Ameriflight (would start with a 12 month internship at UPS) 2. All others (would fly for Ameriflight for 36 months before moving onto UPS as a First Officer)
Old 03-27-2019, 10:54 PM
Fly or Die

Joined APC: Jan 2019

- Does Ameriflight ever consider hiring pilots part time? I need to keep some sort of a “day job” for about 3 days a week to pay bills while flying/building time. Thx for the info.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:29 AM
Ameriflight

Originally Posted by ESQ702 View Post
- Does Ameriflight ever consider hiring pilots part time? I need to keep some sort of a “day job” for about 3 days a week to pay bills while flying/building time. Thx for the info.
Part time pilot positions don't really go well with our schedule. Our typical schedule is Monday through Friday, morning to evening - so nights and weekends at home. With that, a pilot has their own route and in turn operates it M-F if that makes sense.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:50 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Just a little update for everyone. We added pages to the Ameriflight website specific to our UPS® FlightPath Program.
Here's the link if you want to check it out: https://w3.ameriflight.com/ups-flightpath/
There are two paths - 1. Low time pilot not yet qualified to fly for Ameriflight (would start with a 12 month internship at UPS) 2. All others (would fly for Ameriflight for 36 months before moving onto UPS as a First Officer)
Hey, do you need at least 36 month for future hires? Or can you spend 1 or 2 years only if you have previous turbine time? Thank you.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Ameriflight

Originally Posted by Mbotr000 View Post
Hey, do you need at least 36 month for future hires? Or can you spend 1 or 2 years only if you have previous turbine time? Thank you.
At the moment, it's 36 months for all future hires at any experience level. Not sure what's in the future as the program continues, but not shutting any doors!