Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

verticalspeed 09-26-2007 08:29 PM

Ameriflight
 
Thinking of going to work for Ameriflight. I'm currently employed by a 135 Canyon tour operator flying 402's. Can anybody give me an idea of what it's like working for the company. Do their aircraft have autopilots? What is a typical day like? Thanks

freightdog 09-26-2007 09:09 PM


Originally Posted by verticalspeed (Post 237869)
Thinking of going to work for Ameriflight. I'm currently employed by a 135 Canyon tour operator flying 402's. Can anybody give me an idea of what it's like working for the company. Do their aircraft have autopilots? What is a typical day like? Thanks

PM me for details

azvandriver 09-27-2007 05:56 AM

Much better than King, no Canyon West!

verticalspeed 09-27-2007 09:04 PM

Sure, thanks

propfails2FX 10-01-2007 03:29 PM

Might have already been said, but could anyone tell me the junior street captain domiciles?

Cheers.

Ziggy 10-01-2007 04:02 PM


Originally Posted by propfails2FX (Post 240392)
Might have already been said, but could anyone tell me the junior street captain domiciles?

Cheers.

AMF does not really rely on the seniority system to much like the airlines do. Most peope who get hired in to a base will stay there for the duration. For instance I was hired into SLC for the 99, then after a while they upgraded me to the Metro within that base. Now if a position had continually gone unfulfilled, then they would offer it system wide. In that way it benefits you to stay in base.

If you're looking to get hired on then transfer to a prefered base. That will prove to be harder.

propfails2FX 10-01-2007 07:19 PM

Good info. Thanks. Is there anyway to influence base selection at all? Or do you simply go where you're told?

1st2000 10-01-2007 08:06 PM


Originally Posted by propfails2FX (Post 240505)
Good info. Thanks. Is there anyway to influence base selection at all? Or do you simply go where you're told?

I do not think Ameriflight tells you to go anywhere. My experience: I was asked where I wanted to go and it happened. They try and fill the openings, but you go where you want. I hear San Juan is hard to get, but I think San Juan is growing so you never know.

I just came here and this is a great place. Entry level pay is now at 28000 for the PA31 and BE99. Before I came here I did not know about the pending pay raise. If you are willing to move, it seems you can get an opportunity for something bigger fairly fast. As I have said in other posts the pilot management at Ameriflight is the very best. The ACP at my base says the VP is a fighter for the pilots and that everyone in the flight departemnt respects him. I think good leadership makes all the difference.

You should call Sylvia or Joanie in pilot recruiting. I just filled out the online application and was called for an interview in two days. A friend who also applied was not hired so they don't hire everyone.

Let me know if I can help further.

propfails2FX 10-01-2007 10:44 PM

Nice Info
 
Sounds good. Still have some time left on active duty, but am looking hard at the street captain option.

What would you consider the top bases to be? Will be able to move anywhere once my service obligation is complete.

1st2000 10-02-2007 12:20 PM


Originally Posted by propfails2FX (Post 240567)
Sounds good. Still have some time left on active duty, but am looking hard at the street captain option.

What would you consider the top bases to be? Will be able to move anywhere once my service obligation is complete.

My advice is to talk to the VP. He is a retired military and an easy guy to talk with. He is also a 20 year Capatin from US Airways. Great guy and very informative. His email is: [email protected]ght.com

1st2000 10-03-2007 07:06 PM

propfails2FX. Some more good news about Ameriflight. A 2500 hour PA31 and BE99 training captain just was picked up by Continental for their 30 October class. This is the 3 pilot to go there in a short time and I understand that a few have went to Alaska and other major airlines.

TangoBar 10-10-2007 09:00 PM


Originally Posted by propfails2FX (Post 240567)
Sounds good. Still have some time left on active duty, but am looking hard at the street captain option.

What would you consider the top bases to be? Will be able to move anywhere once my service obligation is complete.

PDX has a good mix of equipment- PA-31, BE-99, 1 BE-1900, a few Metros. Compared to other areas, the QOL is very good Sure there's ice, fog, and rain all winter long, but that's just a bonus! Who wants to fly in warm VFR conditions all year long?

Out of curiosity, what kind of equipment do you fly now/ what are you interested in flying at AMF?

Wherever you decide to go, try to get a written guarantee that you'll be based there. IMO, most ACPs are always looking for willing pilots, so talking to them helps, too.

AKfreighter 10-12-2007 10:00 AM

So I keep seeing Ameriflight advertising for the Billings, MT base (among many others). Since I'm interested in moving to that area, can anyone tell me what the equipment and runs are like out of there? Is it typical of other bases?

Ziggy 10-12-2007 11:20 AM


Originally Posted by AKfreighter (Post 246175)
So I keep seeing Ameriflight advertising for the Billings, MT base (among many others). Since I'm interested in moving to that area, can anyone tell me what the equipment and runs are like out of there? Is it typical of other bases?

Billings is an all turbine base. Half the pilots are based in BIL the others are out stationed. BIL has a really tight group of people, great place to work. Especially if you like the outdoors. Recently they lost a couple of good DHL runs, so most of their business comes from UPS. Upgrade times from the 99 run longer that others due to the atmosphere and over all QOL.

AKfreighter 10-15-2007 06:31 AM

Thanks Ziggy. What about hours? And is it still the typical run of leaving early am, waiting around, coming back in the late afternoon?

Ziggy 10-16-2007 08:08 AM


Originally Posted by AKfreighter (Post 247353)
Thanks Ziggy. What about hours? And is it still the typical run of leaving early am, waiting around, coming back in the late afternoon?

This really depends on the run. Some have you wheels up at 02:30am and done for the day at 09:00am. While others it's 06:30am wheels up and back at 18:30. If you take an out station run, your QOL seem to be better than in base. But if you choose being based in station, then you can bid different runs.

AKfreighter 10-16-2007 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by Ziggy (Post 247964)
This really depends on the run. Some have you wheels up at 02:30am and done for the day at 09:00am. While others it's 06:30am wheels up and back at 18:30. If you take an out station run, your QOL seem to be better than in base. But if you choose being based in station, then you can bid different runs.

Huh, crazy. The job would be fun, but what do you do with all the dead time? If you are at an outstation, to you fly to the base in morning and come back in the evening or can you get back to the outstation during the day? Are there multiple stops? I wish I knew someone up here that had experience with AMFlt. Thanks for being patient.

Ziggy 10-18-2007 09:50 PM


Originally Posted by AKfreighter (Post 248136)
Huh, crazy. The job would be fun, but what do you do with all the dead time? If you are at an outstation, to you fly to the base in morning and come back in the evening or can you get back to the outstation during the day? Are there multiple stops? I wish I knew someone up here that had experience with AMFlt. Thanks for being patient.

You can find their BIL number in the yellow pages, just call and talk to either the ACP or Ops Manager. Both are good guy's, and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to answer your questions.

AKfreighter 10-20-2007 02:03 PM

All right! Thanks, I think I'll do that.

propfails2FX 10-20-2007 03:57 PM

1st 2000: PDX sounds good. Appreciate the gouge.

Tango Bar: USN P-3 and military IP background. Looking to add a few hundred more hours of ME TPIC in order to be competitive for everyone. Meet mins for a lot of companies, but I figure a year at AMF would provide a solid boost to the resume. Also a good insurance plan in the event of a furlough.

Cheers,

Fails2FX

TangoBar 10-21-2007 02:42 AM


Originally Posted by propfails2FX (Post 250413)
USN P-3 and military IP background. Looking to add a few hundred more hours of ME TPIC in order to be competitive for everyone. Meet mins for a lot of companies, but I figure a year at AMF would provide a solid boost to the resume. Also a good insurance plan in the event of a furlough.

Well, heck. I can't say for sure, but I would think those quals should make you eligible for SA-227 or BE-1900! I hear we're short on pilots for both, but I honestly don't know much about the hiring of street captains.

Best of luck when you apply! It was over a year ago, but the gouge I saw online was very accurate and helped quite a bit in prepping for the interview.

TransMach 10-21-2007 08:57 AM

Amf
 
propfails2FX

As for me, IUSS and P3 communities. Drop me an e-mail and I'll fill you on AMF. Worked there many years.

TransMach
[email protected]

propfails2FX 10-21-2007 04:49 PM

Tango and TransMach,

Thanks. AMF is a gamble I'm willing to take. One more year of working to get to "the show" seems worth it. Yes, it could be a year of seniority lost with a company Iím competitive for now. However, I'm a firm believer in developing options. My IP time on the Texan II doesnít count towards the TPIC requirements at UPS, FX, AS, or World.

Have 14 months of active duty obligation remaining, and itís possible the industry will change again in that time. For now, street CAPT on the 99, metro or 1900 seems like a smart move.

Fedex Dreamer 11-26-2007 03:22 PM

Pay during Training?
 
What does AMF pay during training?

freightdog 11-26-2007 08:38 PM


Originally Posted by Fedex Dreamer (Post 269186)
What does AMF pay during training?

Min wage during training until passing of the checkride.

Fedex Dreamer 11-27-2007 10:33 AM

Min. Wage?
 
Minimum Wage times 40 hours a week?

Thanks FreightDog.

verticalspeed 11-27-2007 12:33 PM

So are all flights with AMF done after dark? If not the day flights are probably all senior I would imagine.

freightdog 11-29-2007 09:08 PM


Originally Posted by Fedex Dreamer (Post 269607)
Minimum Wage times 40 hours a week?

Thanks FreightDog.

Actually, min wage for only the time that you are doing training. It kinda sucks, but i can understand why they do it. We've had a lot of people screw us over for some free multi time and then bail.

freightdog 11-29-2007 09:09 PM


Originally Posted by verticalspeed (Post 269687)
So are all flights with AMF done after dark? If not the day flights are probably all senior I would imagine.

The bank stuff is going away so a lot of our flying is for UPS now with typical morning flights to a layover, sit for the day, and return in the evening.

Gurucito 12-19-2007 01:08 PM

If you can call departing Caracas or Port au Prince at night over water DARK, yes we fly after Dark.

flyman3456 10-02-2008 05:25 PM

Anyone have any new information on Ameriflight? I haven't seen any job postings for awhile. I'm guessing they won't be hiring for awhile?

opps just realized the other thread!

DC2495 10-02-2008 09:35 PM

I recently hit my IFR mins a bit ago, looking for another 135 company to go to, but everyone stopped hiring. I shot my resume off to AMF last week, with the last news bleak for hiring potential. Today I noticed on climbto350 that they are looking for PA31 drivers in an "Open" domicile. The post has little if any info on where you would be able to call home while on "Open" domicile. Any of you AMF guys know what this is all about, and what the hiring scene is looking like, hrs exp etc? I noticed they want previous 135 exp, I have VFR experience and am getting on the IFR ticket in the PA34 come next week. Is this the kind of experience they are looking for?

freightdog 10-03-2008 09:07 AM


Originally Posted by DC2495 (Post 472817)
I recently hit my IFR mins a bit ago, looking for another 135 company to go to, but everyone stopped hiring. I shot my resume off to AMF last week, with the last news bleak for hiring potential. Today I noticed on climbto350 that they are looking for PA31 drivers in an "Open" domicile. The post has little if any info on where you would be able to call home while on "Open" domicile. Any of you AMF guys know what this is all about, and what the hiring scene is looking like, hrs exp etc? I noticed they want previous 135 exp, I have VFR experience and am getting on the IFR ticket in the PA34 come next week. Is this the kind of experience they are looking for?

Reference my reply in the other thread...

scott7dc 10-05-2008 06:59 AM


Originally Posted by Gurucito (Post 283223)
If you can call departing Caracas or Port au Prince at night over water DARK, yes we fly after Dark.


There is lighting out there to light up the nights sky!

PS I hate Caracas!

Bukowski 10-06-2008 02:30 AM

I think they are hiring in PDX and OAK in the PA31.

hung05 10-23-2008 12:14 PM

other than base pay are there any pay for mileage flown?

Alti2d 10-23-2008 01:57 PM


Originally Posted by DC2495 (Post 472817)
I recently hit my IFR mins a bit ago, looking for another 135 company to go to, but everyone stopped hiring. I shot my resume off to AMF last week, with the last news bleak for hiring potential. Today I noticed on climbto350 that they are looking for PA31 drivers in an "Open" domicile. The post has little if any info on where you would be able to call home while on "Open" domicile. Any of you AMF guys know what this is all about, and what the hiring scene is looking like, hrs exp etc? I noticed they want previous 135 exp, I have VFR experience and am getting on the IFR ticket in the PA34 come next week. Is this the kind of experience they are looking for?

Open is probably referring to system wide TDY. You go out and fill in where they need you, for as long as they need you. Usually works as a 3 weeks on 1 week off situation, but... subject to change. Time on would typically be M-F, early starts, layover for the day, fly back to base at night. PDX or OAK would be most likely, I agree....

Oh, as for pay, daily per diem (last I know was $35 flat per day) while on TDY, so $35/day for 21 days, paid for M-F and then paid for the week at home with no per diem. That was the typical setup last year for TDYs. Pay was 8 'units' per 12 hours or less of duty time, including flight time. So 40 units per week, as TDY that would include 40 units for the week spent at home too. each aircraft pays units at a different rate, the PA31 was around $11-12, Metros/1900s around $20 ish, that may have changed, I'm not there anymore...

Clear as mud??
That's all I've got... good luck

TheOak 11-04-2008 01:05 PM

How is the change going from regional airline to cargo? Seems great to me. what are some cons?

GunnerV 11-05-2008 11:39 PM


Originally Posted by Alti2d (Post 484370)
Open is probably referring to system wide TDY. You go out and fill in where they need you, for as long as they need you. Usually works as a 3 weeks on 1 week off situation, but... subject to change. Time on would typically be M-F, early starts, layover for the day, fly back to base at night. PDX or OAK would be most likely, I agree....

Oh, as for pay, daily per diem (last I know was $35 flat per day) while on TDY, so $35/day for 21 days, paid for M-F and then paid for the week at home with no per diem. That was the typical setup last year for TDYs. Pay was 8 'units' per 12 hours or less of duty time, including flight time. So 40 units per week, as TDY that would include 40 units for the week spent at home too. each aircraft pays units at a different rate, the PA31 was around $11-12, Metros/1900s around $20 ish, that may have changed, I'm not there anymore...

Clear as mud??
That's all I've got... good luck

Makes perfect sense to me. Do they pay for a hotel as well?

own nav 11-07-2008 07:16 AM


Originally Posted by TheOak (Post 491882)
How is the change going from regional airline to cargo? Seems great to me. what are some cons?

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/pa...121-world.html


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:12 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands