Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #1  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Lear 35
Posts: 64
Default Caravan crash in Ohio

Got the call last night that everyone hates to get... a Caravan crashed coming out of LCK in Columbus Ohio Wednesday morning in incliment weather, killing the pilot and passenger. I use to work for AirNet and was based out of Rickenbacker, so I knew it couldn't be good. The aircraft was operated by Castle Aviation, and was on a charter flight for AirNet to BUF. Killed in the crash were the pilot for Castle as well as an AirNet pilot who was catching a ride home to BUF. I had met the AirNet pilot during my employment there, and he was a really great guy. A truly tragic loss.

My heart goes out to the family, friends and fellow employees of those lost. May they continue to fly on wings of Angels.

Story link below...

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=&story=site...954794829.html
fr8av8r_66 is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 07:05 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
motoboy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2007
Posts: 109
Default

That is terrible to hear, I'm taking lessons out of CAK and see the Castle Caravans sitting on the ramp all the time.
motoboy is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #3  
Flying Farmer
 
Ewfflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's
Posts: 3,159
Default

RIP and my prayers to the families
Ewfflyer is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #4  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Posts: 22
Default

Blue Skies and Tailwinds forever...RIP
Turnbase is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
mjarosz's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: DHC-8 100/300 CA
Posts: 238
Default

Being from the Buffalo area (and my dad knowing someone related to the passenger from Blasdell), I have special sympathies to this accident. I remember last year when an Airnow pilot from Buffalo I knew was killed on a missed approach at Bennington, VT (DDH) last year. It's a very risky business we operate in. I know we always try to put safety in front of all our operations but it's diffucult when we are trying to satisfy a paying customer. I'll be entering the Part 121 business in a couple weeks and hope I never have to face a safety vs. satisfying the customer situation again.
-MJ
mjarosz is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 05:16 AM   #6  
Flying Farmer
 
Ewfflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's
Posts: 3,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarosz View Post
I'll be entering the Part 121 business in a couple weeks and hope I never have to face a safety vs. satisfying the customer situation again.
-MJ
Off topic:
Honestly, in the Airlines they are going to want you to go into stuff just as much as any other operator. Planes don't make money unless they are flying. It is a reality and a huge responsibility put on the pilots everywhere, in every type of operation. Doesn't matter if it's 91, 121, or 135, so be on your A-game during poor weather, make the confident and experience appropriate decisions, and you should be fine, but there's always the unexpected which catches us all off guard. Lessons you learn as you go, and sometimes those lessons can give a false sense of security at that. Safe flying everyone
Ewfflyer is offline  
Old 12-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #7  
Moderator
 
Cubdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.
Posts: 5,988
Default

It doesn't sound as if this aircraft went down primarily due to weather related causes. It may have been fuel or loading, as a speculation. Weather would seem to be only a contributing factor. In any case our condolences to the families.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 12-08-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Cubdriver is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #8  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 23,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
Off topic:
Honestly, in the Airlines they are going to want you to go into stuff just as much as any other operator. Planes don't make money unless they are flying. It is a reality and a huge responsibility put on the pilots everywhere, in every type of operation. Doesn't matter if it's 91, 121, or 135, so be on your A-game during poor weather, make the confident and experience appropriate decisions, and you should be fine, but there's always the unexpected which catches us all off guard. Lessons you learn as you go, and sometimes those lessons can give a false sense of security at that. Safe flying everyone
Perhaps at mesa or a few other bottom-feeder 121 operations. The larger jet regionals almost never argue if a captain says no go. With Mx it's easy...once you are on record making the phone call (it's all recorded) they can't try to talk you into flying a with non-mel issue.

The only grey area might be weather that is technically barely OPSPEC legal but out of the CA's comfort zone. Ex. Poor braking action with precip and a 25 kt xwind on the only available runway. A CA can make the argument that two near-limitations factors are a no go when combined together. Or you can take a lot of gas, go have a look, and divert or RTB if it looks sketchy.

Most 121 is MUCH safer than 91/135, except the fractionals are pretty safe too.
rickair7777 is online now  
Old 12-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #9  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Former Freight Doggy
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Perhaps at mesa or a few other bottom-feeder 121 operations. The larger jet regionals almost never argue if a captain says no go. With Mx it's easy...once you are on record making the phone call (it's all recorded) they can't try to talk you into flying a with non-mel issue.

The only grey area might be weather that is technically barely OPSPEC legal but out of the CA's comfort zone. Ex. Poor braking action with precip and a 25 kt xwind on the only available runway. A CA can make the argument that two near-limitations factors are a no go when combined together. Or you can take a lot of gas, go have a look, and divert or RTB if it looks sketchy.

Most 121 is MUCH safer than 91/135, except the fractionals are pretty safe too.


I am going to go ahead and have to disagree..... Yeah..... (in my best Bill Lumburgh voice). AirNet is not your mom and pop 135 company. As a former pilot there, i can attest that the training there is just as good as the training I am getting at my LCC 121 major airline driving a 737. I would rather commute on an AirNet learjet with pilots who have been there, done that and have the t-shirt rather than your ERJ/CRJ with a 500 hour wonder kid as the FO at your regional of choice.

As far as the loading and fuel quality. From an AirNet source close to the investigation, we know that the Jet A-1 (they use phillips pre-mix jet a) was tested that day and that the caravan was sprayed with 150 gallons of Type 1 4 mins prior to recieving his TAKEOFF clearance. BTW the Type 1 was also analyized post accident and found to be in spec. As for the loading, AirNet weighs every bin as it comes out of the sort so I don't think it was a weight issue and with 1270 hours in a Caravan, if it is underweight, it really doesn't matter where it goes, it will fly.

Why don't we quit monday morning QB'ing this in respect to Mike and James and those of us who knew them and let the NTSB do their job.
FlyCMI is offline  
Old 12-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #10  
Flying Farmer
 
Ewfflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's
Posts: 3,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCMI View Post
Why don't we quit monday morning QB'ing this in respect to Mike and James and those of us who knew them and let the NTSB do their job.
Thanks for the post. I came from the 135 world, interviewed at Airnet and knew many of the pilots from the many stops where I'd see them there also(BKL, FWA, MDW mainly). I know they have a really tight rope around how things are brought in, loaded, and shipped out. Rather impressive system really.

Nothing is listed on the NTSB site yet, so wonder how long before we get any more info.
Ewfflyer is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plane crash in Sao Paulo LeoSV Hangar Talk 2 07-19-2007 06:02 PM
Brazilian A320 Crash ToiletDuck Hangar Talk 1 07-18-2007 08:04 AM
Fatigue: factor in 747 crash in Halifax RockBottom Cargo 9 10-28-2005 01:56 AM
Air France passengers survive crash Gordon C Hangar Talk 2 08-03-2005 06:35 PM
Walmart heir dies in plane crash Gordon C Hangar Talk 0 06-28-2005 06:19 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:59 AM.