Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Outside flying

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Lear 35
Default Outside flying

I'll toss this out for a little feedback from my fellow pilots on the line. The 135 operator I fly for (who shall remain nameless) has a policy restricting us from doing any commercial flying outside of our normal company flying. In other words... I am not allowed, on my personal time off, to go out and pick up contract work. They are essentially saying that, by signing on with them, I bequeath my ATP rating to them and them alone. I can see maybe one instance where I might agree with their policy... they wouldn't want me to "time out" for a given calendar quarter/two consecutive calendar quarters/calendar year (135.267). I have no problem with this other than the fact that I'm looking at doing maybe 250 hours this year. They claim it's a liability issue. I think I'll have to call BS on that. The only exception they give is for flight instructing. I don't know about anyone else, but making $15 an hour while someone tries to kill me in a Cessna 150 pales in comparison to any day rate for crewing a turboprop or turbojet. But that's just my thinking on that.

Any feedback from you guys and gals on similar policies at your operation, or any feedback on the merits of having such a policy at all, is most welcome!

And before anyone asks the question... Yes, I did know about this when I signed on. At this point I'm simply trying to build a case for or against the policy.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: Left

My company is has the same policy. I was really upset about it when I was first hired. Over time, I realized that majority of 135 operations out there have this same policy. I've also seen this used for grounds in terminating one's employment at certain companies. Gotta love the world of 135!
Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

I'm split on the issue, but you're only doing 250hrs per year? I hope you are salary, in which case you being salary with guarantee'd pay would imply to me that yes, you are tied to them.

The liability is more for them, if you are doing something else when they need you. I'm not sure what you exactly fly/do within the realm of 135, but obviously it's turbine, non-freight, and probably EMS??? Maybe bring it up with the Chief, or feel it out with other higher-ups and find out what you can get away with.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: LJ35 PIC

Our company allows for this, but they want you to inform the company ahead of time so that they can "look it over" and approve it. I guess the guide is that it can't interfere with your "day-job".

GL,
Old 01-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006

If the company you currently work for has put you through any training event (CRM, recurrent, initial,etc.), and then you go out and use that training for a different company (ie. contract work) and you tear up something, your current employer which has provided training to you could be brought into a lawsuit.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Lear 35

I'm currently flying 135 Pax, salary, 8 on/6 off, turbojet (type rating paid for by company, 1 year training contract).

What I'd like to do is be able to go out and pick up contract jobs during my 6 days off. This would in no way interfere with my availability during my 8 days on. I would also most likely not be picking up work utilizing my type rating, but instead seek out Part 91 pilot services gigs in light/medium piston and/or turboprop equipment. If I log an extra 20 hours over 4 or 5 days a month I’d be lucky, but at a decent day rate it would definitely be profitable.

I understand the company's position on rationing my commercial flying, so that I don't put myself in a position of "timing out" for the year... affecting my availability. But heck... even if I flew EVERY DAY that I had off over the course of a year, I could fly 6.5 hours each day and still not get close to my 1400 hour limitation for the year.

Unfortunately, if you work in an "at-will" employment state, and the company tells you that they don't want you to do something... and you do it anyway... they can show you the door. I'm trying to get a grip on the reasoning behind the policy so that I can go to the "head shed" and discuss the policy intelligently. I actually think the CP and DO could care less, but one of the management types has passed down the declaration and they just have to play along.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: LJ35 PIC

That, or someone did screw it up, at some point, and that's when this policy came about!

Last edited by Iflyfr8; 01-12-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Tired
Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!

Yeah, that's a tough one. Both sides have merit, but I would go with making a case to improve currency and safety. I never did buy that fact that a pilot flying less than 300 hours a year is as sharp as one that flies 1,000 or more hours a year. Safety being the key, if you pick up more flying, you'll be a safer pilot at work. I should find a wheel plane to fly on my days off... it's been nearly a year since I put rubber on a runway!

If it does work out, make sure to note the outside commercial flying on your flight time/duty sheets.

Good luck,
Ronin
Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Why allow flight instruction? Unless you like to teach, you're putting up with the most dangerous, unregulated, fatiguing, frustrating flying job there is.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:41 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by JustGetDeiced View Post
Why allow flight instruction? Unless you like to teach, you're putting up with the most dangerous, unregulated, fatiguing, frustrating flying job there is.
Some of us really enjoy teaching though, just my two cents