Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameritflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/21183-ameritflight.html)

SongMan 01-17-2008 10:10 AM

Ameritflight

Sorry if this has been covered before and bunch of newbie questions.

but can you guys share bit about ameritflight op in Oakland.

What are the chances of getting based there?

What is the pay like?

Do you work the weekends?

Thanks!

cfii2007 01-17-2008 02:29 PM

Very good.

Check their website, think its around $2400/month.

No.

freightdog 01-17-2008 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SongMan (Post 302021)
Sorry if this has been covered before and bunch of newbie questions.

but can you guys share bit about ameritflight op in Oakland.

What are the chances of getting based there?

What is the pay like?

Do you work the weekends?

Thanks!

Chieftain pay is $28,000/yr

If you want OAK they will be kissing your feet.

SongMan 01-17-2008 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 302453)
Chieftain pay is $28,000/yr

If you want OAK they will be kissing your feet.

uhh...Why if I may ask?
I would only want OAK because I live here and having family I don't want to move too far. Is there somethings I should know about OAK base? Less pay? bad equipment or weather?, the chief or all the above? Seriously, what's wrong with Oak?

thanks!

sqwkvfr 01-17-2008 07:25 PM

It's just a wild guess but I'm guessing there are some transients in Oakland that make more than $28K/year.

TangoBar 01-20-2008 03:36 AM

The main problem with OAK is cost of living- it's not easy to live in the Bay Area on $30k if you don't already have a place. It's not the ACP- from my experience, he's a pretty good guy. Weatherwise, it's no worse than up north, and often not as bad. The other main downside to OAK is slow upgrade time- I know there's not much in the way of 99 runs, and what few there are stay senior. However, it's possible to overcome this by bidding on outstations at other bases...

And some people DEFINITELY make more than $28k a year- there are several runs that pay more than 8 units per day. It's a matter of being able to bid them/having the will to fly long runs day after day.

freightdog 01-20-2008 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by TangoBar (Post 303860)
The main problem with OAK is cost of living- it's not easy to live in the Bay Area on $30k if you don't already have a place. It's not the ACP- from my experience, he's a pretty good guy. Weatherwise, it's no worse than up north, and often not as bad. The other main downside to OAK is slow upgrade time- I know there's not much in the way of 99 runs, and what few there are stay senior. However, it's possible to overcome this by bidding on outstations at other bases...

And some people DEFINITELY make more than $28k a year- there are several runs that pay more than 8 units per day. It's a matter of being able to bid them/having the will to fly long runs day after day.

The AMF pay matrix shows first year PA31/BE99 driver at $28,000/yr. I put this down because this is what most pilots will make. There are always possibilities to make more. But, I did not want to post any higher salaries so as to give a false impression of every day flying.

The OAK base always needs pilots. Just like TangoBar stated that if you don't already live there and have a place or a significant other with a secondary income, it can be tough. TangoBar makes another good point about upgrade times. OAK just doesn't have the turbine runs that the other bases have. Mather (MHR) is an outstation with only four (4) 99 runs I believe and there are pilots who have been waiting in Oakland a year from an upgrade. If you have a family then you might just want to "dig in" and wait out an upgrade time. Since PA31 and 99 drivers are on the same pay scale now, there is no need to upgrade because of pay, except for the turbine retention bonus. If you are single or can pick up and move easily then I might recommend hanging out in Oakland for 6-9 months then put in a bid for another base that has only turbine equipment.

1st2000 01-26-2008 06:06 PM

OAK is a great place to work. If you have a support group in the area and established housing it could be a great place to work. ACP is good guy, but he is a product of a change brought to AMF by our VP who is leaving in a week. VP is a pretty popular guy with the pilots. Not sure if others will follow, but a couple of training managers are leaving in a week also. I understand AMF is only hiring now for OAK and PDX. True, they will kiss your feet. Call Joanie in pilot recruiting.

TangoBar 01-27-2008 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 303976)
The AMF pay matrix shows first year PA31/BE99 driver at $28,000/yr. I put this down because this is what most pilots will make. There are always possibilities to make more. But, I did not want to post any higher salaries so as to give a false impression of every day flying.

I don't disagree with that at all, but it seems to me that some of the higher-paying runs might be unpopular enough that they'll go junior. I know that if I could get a run that pays more, I'd seriously consider bidding for it. If you don't mind 9 or 10 legs, or 6 or more hours of seat time a day, it's a way to make a bit more. Not sayin' it's necessarily a fun way, but 'money is money, my friend.'

utedrummer 02-01-2008 03:47 PM

you may work saturdays until you move up the list...this however is base dependent...in SLC the bottom 5 people in the 99 work every saturday until they move up to 6 from the bottom...sucks if there isnt anyone coming in for the next 5 months...
nothing like 6 on, 1 off for $28,000/yr