Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Airnet vs. Ameriflight

Old 02-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

By June its really anyones guess which props will be where. right now there are barons pretty much everywhere. The caravan is just another prop as far as Airnet is concerned. For upgrade to the lear you need 500 ME Piston or SE Turbine PIC to go along with the seniority so either way you'll get there. Its not uncommon for guys to fly all three props as well. If you bid a run that flys a caravan, you'll go to school on it right out of training. Theres no contract or anything for van school just a week in wichita ks. Sounds like you work for pictometry, a lot of guys here did that as well. Enjoy those blue skies while you can. If you work for Airnet or AMF they'll be few and far between lots of alone time at night and it seems like the weather always sucks but maybe I'm just in a rut.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:57 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: CRJ-700 FO

What AirNet aircraft are in Dallas (DAL)? It looks like just the Lears. Are guys able to hire right into the Lear? Just trying to think through a scenario in which I could keep working in Dallas, even if I didn't get the Lear right out of the gate.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by CitationJason View Post
What AirNet aircraft are in Dallas (DAL)? It looks like just the Lears. Are guys able to hire right into the Lear? Just trying to think through a scenario in which I could keep working in Dallas, even if I didn't get the Lear right out of the gate.
Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.... Got to work your way up through the senority system. Lears only in Dallas.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: CRJ-700 FO

Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.... Got to work your way up through the senority system. Lears only in Dallas.
Thanks. I kinda' figured. Where are the vans based?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

IMHO you would be better off at AMF, although that isn't a knock against Airnet.

The reason I think you'll be better off at AMF is based on the opportunity to move into a multi engine turbo-prop rather quickly. It varies with experience, but many of the Chiefton pilots move into the 99 with in months. I've even heard of some that flew a route for a week and then started training in the 99. That is the exception, not the rule.

As with any upgrade time, it is subject to change. However, you can pretty much bet on 6 months or less so long as you are not adverse to moving. In fact, I wouldn't sign a lease, buy a house or keep anything you can't fit in your car and move at a moments notice. You can settle down, if you like, once you have a run with a 1900 or Metro. You will be in that position for about a year.

In all, you can be in a 1900 or Metro in a year or so and make enough money to survive on something other than balonga and catsup sandwiches.

You won't reach the lear and if all you care about is jet time, AMF is not for you. However, you'll find that time in a 1900 or Metro is quality time and well respected in the industry.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: BE-1900 CA

Some thoughts on Wildcat1's post:

Moving up to the 99 is dependent on what base you're at, your willingness to take an outstation when it becomes available, seniority, and luck. Some bases go very senior, and there's very little movement in the turbine a/c. And then, sometimes there will be several people departing, and there's a mad scramble to fill those slots. To be fair, I would emphasize that upgrading in a couple months is a rare exception- 8 to 12 months would be more likely, unless you're at a junior base or take an outstation.

Turbine upgrades have been all over the map recently- I upgraded after about 8 months, because several people declined to take the upgrade. Since then, we've had the next candidate pushed back several times. At the same time, we lost several outstation pilots, and low-seniority pilots from other bases who were willing to move have upgraded to the 99. Several months ago, we were hiring direct to the 99 to fill empty slots, and then suddenly several pilots who thought they had been hired to the 99 were informed that AMF needed Chieftain pilots at a different base- and that's where they ended up.

Having said that, I can say that at my base, I foresee a constant need for Chieftain pilots and possibly a couple 99 pilots within the next 6 months-1 year. I do expect one or more outstation pilots declining to stay at their outstations after their six months are up, which means openings that will most likely go to off-base pilots who upgrade to the 99 to take these outstations.

In summary, to get a quick upgrade, the best route is to be based in BUR as 'system reserve' and be willing to go out to the boonies as soon as an outstation opens.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:41 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by TangoBar View Post
Some thoughts on Wildcat1's post:

Moving up to the 99 is dependent on what base you're at, your willingness to take an outstation when it becomes available, seniority, and luck. Some bases go very senior, and there's very little movement in the turbine a/c. And then, sometimes there will be several people departing, and there's a mad scramble to fill those slots. To be fair, I would emphasize that upgrading in a couple months is a rare exception- 8 to 12 months would be more likely, unless you're at a junior base or take an outstation.

Turbine upgrades have been all over the map recently- I upgraded after about 8 months, because several people declined to take the upgrade. Since then, we've had the next candidate pushed back several times. At the same time, we lost several outstation pilots, and low-seniority pilots from other bases who were willing to move have upgraded to the 99. Several months ago, we were hiring direct to the 99 to fill empty slots, and then suddenly several pilots who thought they had been hired to the 99 were informed that AMF needed Chieftain pilots at a different base- and that's where they ended up.

Having said that, I can say that at my base, I foresee a constant need for Chieftain pilots and possibly a couple 99 pilots within the next 6 months-1 year. I do expect one or more outstation pilots declining to stay at their outstations after their six months are up, which means openings that will most likely go to off-base pilots who upgrade to the 99 to take these outstations.

In summary, to get a quick upgrade, the best route is to be based in BUR as 'system reserve' and be willing to go out to the boonies as soon as an outstation opens.
Agreed. Most people take an outstation to upgrade and then want out to get to a base. The Chieftain is always open in PDX and OAK. Even when they get people in those bases they can't wait to get out on something else or they just go to Horizon, Skywest or somewhere else.

Does anyone know with EM gone, will the 1 year integrity agreement still be a requirement?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by 1st2000 View Post
Does anyone know with EM gone, will the 1 year integrity agreement still be a requirement?
The integrity agreement stays in place. Just because he left doesn't mean that the integrity agreement leaves with him. It's only a year...
Old 03-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Are there any 135 outfits that don't make you stay for a certain period of time?

Seems as though most regionals and not cargo outfits have training contracts.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by cfii2007 View Post
Are there any 135 outfits that don't make you stay for a certain period of time?

Seems as though most regionals and not cargo outfits have training contracts.
Not any that i'm aware of. Most want a 1 year contract to try and re-coop the training costs on you. 1 yr isn't very long to gain experience and then move on if thats what you want.