Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Old 04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO
Default Cape Air

Anybody on here from Cape Air? I'm looking into their F/O program until some of the regionals stabilize with hiring and with hiring mins going up. I have about 600/45 and the decent regionals are shooting up their mins and I don't want to burn myself out from instructing. I'm looking for insights from people about the company, if they like it. I had also heard something about a lot of their captains going to JetBlue. Just looking for some insight.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: DHC-6 right seat

I interviewed there in February. I really liked the company. They fly all Cessna 402s. The 402 can be operated single pilot since it only carries nine passengers. Most of their operations are single pilot. They hire FOs so they can help you build hours, get an ATP, and upgrade to Captain. They pay you $9/hour as an FO, I think that is for duty hours and not just flight hours. But if you look at it like they are paying you to build time and upgrade it's a pretty good deal. Plus you are home every night. I was offered another job which was closer to home so I didn't take it. However I was really impressed with the company and management, the CEO flies the line every summer. I think that they are worth looking into.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Speed tape and prayers

What does the work schedule look like at Cape Air?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: J-3 Back Seat

Originally Posted by Wildflyin View Post
What does the work schedule look like at Cape Air?
You go to work, fly for a while, then go home. And repeat.

I would say its a good schedule.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

off their web site: 5 on and 2 off and with seniority the possibility of 4 on and 3 off, home everynight.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007

I'll add that Nantucket Shuttle is hiring, both FO's (if you don't have an atp) & Capt's if you do. The DO called me out of the blue yesterday, must have got my resume off of a job website or something. I'd be interested if I were closer to HYA, but it's too far for me up here in NH. Oh, and they also have part-time positions open, and have a similar 5/2 or 4/3 sched for full-time guys.

Stonefly
Old 05-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550

Originally Posted by fjetter View Post
. I had also heard something about a lot of their captains going to JetBlue. Just looking for some insight.

I don't know where you got that from, but it is not true. Jetblue does not like hiring turbo-prop pilots, much less piston, no way, no how.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by UCLAbruins View Post
I don't know where you got that from, but it is not true. Jetblue does not like hiring turbo-prop pilots, much less piston, no way, no how.
Why don't they like prop pilots?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: F/O- G-V/550

Originally Posted by RedGuy View Post
Why don't they like prop pilots?
My first airline job was with allegheny airlines (now Piedmont), Dash 8. I flew with a guy, it was his last trip with the company, he was leaving for JB the following week. Whoever interviewed him said something like, "you might be one of the last prop guys we ever we hire".

I don't know anything about JB, and I'm not sure if they like prop guys or not, but I came to the conclusion they don't, base on that guy's comments. This happened 6 years ago, who knows what they want now, but I doubt piston guys.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by UCLAbruins View Post
My first airline job was with allegheny airlines (now Piedmont), Dash 8. I flew with a guy, it was his last trip with the company, he was leaving for JB the following week. Whoever interviewed him said something like, "you might be one of the last prop guys we ever we hire".

I don't know anything about JB, and I'm not sure if they like prop guys or not, but I came to the conclusion they don't, base on that guy's comments. This happened 6 years ago, who knows what they want now, but I doubt piston guys.
Riddle has a program with Cape Air and Jet Blue- I hear theres some students already at Cape Air enrolled in this program
oComplete a paid internship at Cape Air
oGraduate from a degree program accredited by the Aviation Accreditation Board International
oJetBlue Airways Orientation
oServe as a Flight Instructor for one year at respective University
oFly for Cape Air for approximately 2 ½ years gaining another 2500 hours of experience
oAttend a jet transition refresher program designed by their respective University
oFinal Interview at JetBlue Airways