Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Turboprop/ANR Headset Question (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/29690-turboprop-anr-headset-question.html)

terpilot 08-07-2008 01:56 PM

Turboprop/ANR Headset Question

Hey this is for you turboprop bubbas out there, I was wondering if any of you guys use double hearing protection with ANR headsets. I got a pair of Lightspeed Zulus, before I would use foamies with my Passive David Clarks, but with the Zulus I choose not too because the sound clarity is much better without them, I was just wondering what you other guys are doing with your ANR headsets? Hopefully there won't be any hearing issues down the road. :eek:

mike734 08-07-2008 02:05 PM

Bose QE2 with the UFlymike. http://uflymike.com/id2.html The mic is now TSO's so your company should not have a problem with it.

usmc-sgt 08-07-2008 03:17 PM

What kind of turboprop?

In the Q400 I use a lightspeed mach 1 non anr in ear headset because I like the lightweight and the feeling of NOT having anything on my head all day. It is more than quiet and just right for the job.

I also own a bose and wore that in the plane for a trip and found it was a bit overkill but still worked out great. I just do not want to wear a headset all day anymore.

freightdog 08-07-2008 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by usmc-sgt (Post 440571)
What kind of turboprop?

In the Q400 I use a lightspeed mach 1 non anr in ear headset because I like the lightweight and the feeling of NOT having anything on my head all day. It is more than quiet and just right for the job.

I also own a bose and wore that in the plane for a trip and found it was a bit overkill but still worked out great. I just do not want to wear a headset all day anymore.

In our freight aircraft so much of the insulation has been removed from its previous life as a passenger bird that ANR's are an absolute must.

jban642 08-07-2008 05:05 PM

I use the Bose in the king air works great. If you have to money to buy one that would be your safest bet. The David Clark X-11 work OK too.

terpilot 08-08-2008 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 440630)
In our freight aircraft so much of the insulation has been removed from its previous life as a passenger bird that ANR's are an absolute must.

Yeah our aircraft doesn't have much in terms of insulation and we have rather large engines, do you wear foamies in addition to ANR's? Or just the ANR's?

Jetcap37 08-08-2008 05:52 PM

Bose. Work great just straight up.

freightdog 08-09-2008 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by terpilot (Post 440906)
Yeah our aircraft doesn't have much in terms of insulation and we have rather large engines, do you wear foamies in addition to ANR's? Or just the ANR's?

In the Beech 99 I sometimes where foamies under my Bose, but the Metro is quiet enough for Bose only.

DanYYZ 08-10-2008 05:46 PM

I agree with you Terpilot, in the king air I use to use a set of reg DCs and put in a set a foam plugs to get that Bose sound, then i bought the Bose and skipped the plugs. On long haul I would put them in just because I like my quiet, make sure to turn up the volumes though! That's just me, I like quiet even in the Falcon I sometime bring the bose because im too cheap to spring for the Airman 850s (esp after dumping that $$$$ into the bose). I know Brasilia pilots for the 121s that swear by their Bose, but i'm pretty sure they dont double dip. No go on the DC x11s...heard a lot of bad stuff unless they fixed 'em. Zulu's only tried on the ground and seemed about as good and comfy as the bose and $200 less with audio input.

the King 08-10-2008 10:12 PM

I'm using ANR Denali's in the Jetstream. With the ANR on, the sound isn't bad, even with the Garretts only 20 feet from your head.