Cape Air Base Transitions

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air Base Transitions

Old 08-09-2008, 11:24 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Default Cape Air Base Transitions

Last week I interviewed at Cape Air and found out the next day that I was hired and took a class date in September. I'm really excited and am looking forward to getting started. I understand that by the time I'm through training, they will be ramping up operations in the Caribbean. I have a few questions for any current Cape Air pilots on here about how exactly that works...

How much stuff do you usually take with you?

Do you keep your mainland drivers license?

Do you buy a car there, rent a car, or ship your mainland car there?

How much time do you have to find a place to live?

If you're going back to New England during the summer, do you keep your NE place year round, or put everything in storage during the winter months?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Not sure the answers to your questions, but would you mind telling us your times? A few of us are waiting on call backs from Cape Air.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:00 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
Not sure the answers to your questions, but would you mind telling us your times? A few of us are waiting on call backs from Cape Air.
Sure, I have 1850 total, 400 multi, currently a freight dog...
Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Floatin' down the river in a old tube smilin'

Are you in the Sept 8th class?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:25 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Way2Broke View Post
Are you in the Sept 8th class?
Nope, I got offered it, but I took the Sept. 22nd class to give me some time to tie up loose ends around here.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Heh, I was thinking about Cape Air as well, but decided to pass because I thought it would be too much of a hassle to move myself every 6 months or whatever from the Caribbean to the mainland. I'm very interested in how this sort of things works out too.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 777, sofa

zepher,

I can answer a couple of your questions, but I only went to the Carib for a split bid, 3 weeks STX, then 3 weeks HYA. Cape Air provided a car and a condo while I was in the islands. (There was another pilot who worked the opposite 3 weeks who I "time shared" the car & condo with.)

How much to bring depends on you. I'd pack light. Even for 5-6 months. You won't need a coat. Or even a sweatshirt. Plus you have to either schelp it all or mail it back and forth.

Keep your stateside DL.

I dunno about a car. Its essential everywhere, except maybe Isla Verde (SJU). I'd guess buy one. Renting has to be cost prohibitive. Shipping even more so. Check craigslist to get an idea what's available.

You get a week off and 40 hours pay for transition. One trick is to pick up as much OT during that week as you can. Pay in the Carib is $18/duty hour for new hires - with OT in PR after 8 in a day, 8 in the last 24, and after 40 in a week. PR has the best work rules, due to local laws.

As far as going north in summer, seasonal rentals are very pricey on the cape. I pay $1500 a month for a 3 bedroom home year round, the house next door rents for $2000 a week in the summer. If you don't have a family or a lot of stuff, you can certainly find a roommate situation for a reasonable amount ($500-$1000/mo depending on location and size).

Keep in mind there are new EAS routes in upstate NY and now Lebanon, NH, and Rockland, ME. I would expect those cities to be available to new hires for year round flying.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 AM
On Reserve

Thanks for all the info robthree... when you transition down to the Caribbean do they buy you a plane ticket, or is that expected to be part of any transition bonus you get?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 777, sofa

Transition to SJU either via repo of an a/c, or more commonly company business space available passes on JetBlue. Either way you're on duty and are paid accordingly.

Also, as I understand it, the transition bonus is $3000, net. In other words, whatever the withholding is on 3 grand they add to your bonus so you keep the entire amount.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
Sure, I have 1850 total, 400 multi, currently a freight dog...
Thanks! They actually called me today and invited me out for a face-to-face. Looking forward to it.