Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Great Lakes Air (not the 121 airline) (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/30408-great-lakes-air-not-121-airline.html)

shaunster9797 09-02-2008 03:56 PM

I always see these guys on climbto350 but I never get a response when I send in my resume. :confused:

mogley68 09-03-2008 11:26 PM

Great Lakes Air

I worked there for 1 1/2 years and still talk to the owner quite a bit. Any specific questions?

shaunster9797 09-04-2008 09:24 AM

What is the work schedule like, people, and routes? I'm really puzzled why I havent heard from GL. I exceed 135mins and have experience as a Capt for my current company which is 135 operator.

mogley68 09-08-2008 07:12 PM

During the summer time it is mainly charters to mackinac island. The flight within 75 are usually done with the six's or P68, anything further than that is usually done with the baron. Schedule vary's a lot with the flight that you are doing. They also do various surveys for the DNR and Fire Patrol for the state of MI. Winter time is a different story because it is the only time that major construction can be done on any of the islands and one the ice forms the planes are it. You work from 6am to 6pm flying mainly workers and supplies. Sometimes up to 40 trips a day per plane.

Paul the owner is really good to work for and will do anything he can to help when its time to move on. The cost of living is really cheep and there is a lot to do and see in the summer. The winter can get kind of quite but if you like the outdoors it is a great place to live. If you're looking for a big city life look else where.

Aileron 09-08-2008 08:46 PM

I think this sounds like a job for me. I'm originally from Portland so the outdoors is something I definately miss.. Do you happen to have a direct contact or email? I really appreciate the info you've shared.

mogley68 09-09-2008 10:02 AM

Aileron

PM me and I will give you all the info.

Aileron 09-09-2008 07:49 PM

[quote=mogley68;458635]Aileron

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it

skruts 04-25-2018 07:41 AM

Ten years later, anyone have new info on this shop?

ptaero 05-20-2018 08:22 AM

Low timers will do a lot of people, mail, food, and freight to the surrounding island communities. Very busy in the winter when the ice gets thick and the ferry(s) stop. Also scenic flights on occasion.

Good down to earth people, that appreciate a pilot who doesn't think he is the "ace of base."
The flight legs to the islands are short, but there are alot of them during the day.
You have a good chance of starting around $34k and change for a 500TT pilot.
Charter, fire patrol, and charter opportunities as your TT allow.
Finding housing could be a challenge since its a tourist area.
Challenging flying going into the island strips, but very doable. Bring your stick and rudder skills.
Be honest with them and you will get the same.
It's part 135 on demand air taxi. Be prepared to work.
The owner isn't shy about buying dinner after a long day, but he expects you to work.

ptaero 03-27-2019 03:28 PM

Great Lakes was sold by the owner of 40ish years, several months ago. The new owner let some employees go and others left.
GLA was idled last time I checked.
Another operator has filled the void/entered as competition.

A whole new ballgame from and ownership and management standpoint.