Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: UnemploymentJet
Default Gulfstream charter customer & 500lbs of pot

Anyone here know what company?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5433663.story

13 pieces of luggage? Sucks to be the FO on that flight....

Last edited by nfnsquared; 06-17-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: BE-20 PIC

Dude tell me about it. I can't even count the number of times I've loaded at least 5 bags or more per person into the baggage hold. Sometimes the bags are so damn heavy.

I really think that is a B.S. reason to get caught. If they reported every private aircraft with way too many bags there is no way you could check them all.

That is practically the MO of all the people I fly. Usually its not just bags it random crap like a coffee table or something too.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Former Lear F/O

Yeah we had a women that brought 7 bags, 4 of which over 80lbs a couple weeks ago. Thats unfortunately not uncommon.

Nothing makes my day like pax showing up with one little bag and a computer bag!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

I love the statement where she thought she could be transporting something illegal, but regardless chose not to do anything about it(Or obviously she's in on it)
Old 06-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

According to the news reports, some of the bags required two men to carry. Wonder what the FO was thinking as he loaded the bags before departure?

And yeah, if a "friend" gives me $60K, 13 bags, and a $50K charter Gulfstream, I might be a little suspicious...This was the 4th time for her making a run...

I can't find the flight on flightaware. Supposedly they arrived at 1840 local Monday night. Charter company must have that tail # blocked. Tried to make out the N number on the video, but its too blurry.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Likely she was caught because they were doing this for the fourth time. Not because of all of the bags caught someone's attention. Greed usually brings these people down.

When I used to fly the Cj2 we had people bring an insane amount of baggage. We would fill the gigantic baggage compartment and then start loading into the seats and even the isle. I was the lowly FO so I couldn't say much about the legality of this. I would never permit it now that I am flying the King Air. Still it doesn't stop a couple from filling the baggage compartment of the King Air on a trip to SUN.

Heavy bag? We flew an Oakland A's player, wife and daughter. I swear I couldn't lift one of the gigantic roll on bags. I had to get a line guy to help me push it into the baggage compartment. It felt like it was full of baseballs.

Bottom line is that if I tried to find out what these people were moving likely I would be fired. I hope the crew does not get into trouble. It would set an ugly precedent.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I didn't mean to imply the crew should have known. It's hilarious to me to think what might be in a 70lb+ bag as I was struggling to hoist it into the cargo hold...gold bullion? body parts? shoes? purses? fur coats? dope? No one knows, but I'm sure it gets the speculation going on in one's mind.

Plus, from one of the pictures of the luggage, none of the pieces appear to be very large in volume....
Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by nfnsquared View Post
I didn't mean to imply the crew should have known. It's hilarious to me to think what might be in a 70lb+ bag as I was struggling to hoist it into the cargo hold...gold bullion? body parts? shoes? purses? fur coats? dope? No one knows, but I'm sure it gets the speculation going on in one's mind.

Plus, from one of the pictures of the luggage, none of the pieces appear to be very large in volume....
I didn't think you did imply that the crew was at fault. If the DEA has enough brains to figure that out is a different story.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: PA-31/left, LJ31/right

I watched her get into the airplane right before I left on a charter. But I didn't see the amount of bags. I got to my destination, and my boss asked me via txt "who chartered the Gulfstream that was haulin all the pot?"

I asked him if we should vacuum the carpet to see if there was anything in it. :sarcasim:
Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: E-170 Airbender

wow...........