Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Airnet bad News

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: hmmmm.....

Will there still be a secondary hub out of Columbus?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Craig is going to be let go even if he doesen't know it yet, along with everyone else all you have to do is look at your current management. When Big Sky went down it was all blue skies right to the bitter end. The shutdown announcement came an hour after an all management chistmas party, which no pilots were invited to. They will do it right at chistmas just like they did to us, everyone will be off their gaurd then. Airnet will go away and the management will move on to their next victims, but not before they spend all winter and next summer selling office furniture and whatever crappy assets remain, they will stay there selling one pencil and staple at a time, all while paying themselves some outlandish liquidation fee. It's not going to happen, it is happening. The management will keep everyone busy chasing the flying moving their familys to the various domiciles as they shutdown. Just as soon as you move, uh oh now we have to close that one too. Next the FAA will show up for distressed carrier monitoring and hand out a bunch of violations to help with your next job search. The management has all ready set a countdown to the end. That is what these people do, unfortunatly they are closers and they will do it well.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: hmmmm.....

Wayne, did you work for Big Sky?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:20 AM
New Hire

Yes I did work for Big Sky and I was a senior capain. I am not trying to scare everyone, it's just unfortunatly this is what is going to happen. The management will blow the same smoke that they did with us and at the end everyone will be on the street. Thank god we live in an age where we can share this information so easily. It is so sad that these people have gotten a hold of Airnet, a great company with a great pilot group. It is not easy watching the years you put into something get destroyed by managements greed. I still write the same amount of checks I always have and they still have to go thru the same channels. So I don't think that less checks getting transported is their reason for furloughing at all. I flew canceled checks for several years before working at Big Sky, but not at Airnet. I want everyone to know how rotton these people are and they need to be held accountable by someone for their actions. Look at the history, the Airnet CFO has ties going all the way back to peoples express, Atlas, Polar, Mesaba and Big Sky. MAIR/Mesaba holdings pitted Big Sky and Mesaba against eachother which ultimatly created the crappy RG pay that is industry wide today. For those of us who were at Big Sky we should have taken the bullet in the beggining instead of prolonging the misery, in the end the results were the same. I truly feel for those at Airnet it is a horrible time to lose your job.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: B767

Originally Posted by wayne View Post
I still write the same amount of checks I always have and they still have to go thru the same channels. So I don't think that less checks getting transported is their reason for furloughing at all.
Unfortunately for Airnet, it's a little more complicated than the amount of checks people write. The "Check 21 Act" that was passed a couple of years ago allows banks to send digital scans of checks to each other rather than require the actual check be delivered to each other or the reserve. Here's more:
Check 21 Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was a big part of Airnet's business, and the check "work" that they fly has been steadily decreasing. Although I don't work there, I know several people that do or did, and I had a lot of respect for the company. At one point last year I was very close to working there as a pilot before some unrelated things caused me to take another flying job. They really took care of their employees and had excellent maintenance. I was really hoping they'd be able to get their business model turned around to handle time critical freight/medical services. Apparently they weren't, and now are owned by that crappy Bayside place.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:52 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Default Looking back at AirNet

The mistruths run rampant at AirNet. When U.S. Check reorganized and went public, the company had a chance, yet they kept the same "good ole boys" in charge, who were pushing the bible on everyone yet out rolling on their free time. If you paid the least bit of attention to things where you were at PDQ or went up to the dispatch office you would see the revolving door of support staff. Even mid level management never seemed to have stable positions. The company went public yet was not ready to, Mercer went south and all of the fools were left in place. CEO after CEO, big promises and big dreams yet nothing ever seemed to change. If they had picked a CEO based upon previous success instead of industry relations things may have changed. If they had paid attention they could have marketed the company to FEDEX at the time and everyone would be in a different position right now. For now, the company will flail until the last asset is sold.

Bayside was not foolish in acquiring the company for the price paid, add up the estimate values of the aircraft on hand and the accounts at the time of acquisition.

I look back at the firestorm with Airnet when it started, sold my stock out at 15 a share and went on my way. I feel compassion for those who stayed, yet honestly, the red flags were everywhere with Airnet, everywhere, you just had to look past the good ole boys.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I don't post too much

Position: ATR Captain

Originally Posted by Learflyer View Post
No doubt. I can't believe he was there all of those years. He interviewed me 14 yrs ago at 3:00 in the morning. Needless to say I wasn't hired. I was to tired to take a written test, and fly the sim at 0300!
Exactly, 12 years ago for me. Yes 3 Am, yes too tired. Not hired.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

I've never flown for AirNet and even I know who Washka is! Maybe I heard his name mumbled by a pilot sleeping in the pilot lounge!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: Uncoveraged...

So what's the scoop with Airnet right now? They were projecting all furloughs to be back pretty soon, and it lists "recalls ongoing" on their APC page. Is everyone back?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by Razorback flyer View Post
So what's the scoop with Airnet right now? They were projecting all furloughs to be back pretty soon, and it lists "recalls ongoing" on their APC page. Is everyone back?
I can't say what the scoop is because i'm still furloughed.

But your second question is answered, at least.