Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 Pilots: Fatigue Survey

Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: LJ55 PIC
Default Part 135 Pilots: Fatigue Survey

Fellow Part 135 Aviators:

This survey is for all Part 135 pilots who have, at one time or another, flown under Part 135.

My request to you is for you to take a Part 135 Pilot Fatigue Survey. This survey is being conducted by a trusted friend of mine of 7 years, John Robbins, who is a graduate student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. He is conducting this survey for his graduate research project. There is an identical paper survey concurrently in circulation, however, the Internet allows many more Part 135 pilots to easily take this survey.

The survey will take about 2-5 minutes. The survey is ANONYMOUS, however, it is recommended that you use a public computer, such as one found in a FBO pilot lounge, hotel lobby or library for complete anonymity.

Background info on how your survey responses will be handled:

Your responses are NOT stored on my server. I CANNOT see your responses. Your responses are immediately emailed to John Robbins by my server, with no record of your responses remaining on my server. While my server does keep a record of the IP address of the computer that submitted on the survey, the IP information is NOT and will NOT be passed to John Robbins. This is the reason for my recommendation to use a FBO pilot lounge computer, or any public use computer (absolute anonymity). Make sure to close the browser window after the survey is completed so that nobody may use the "back" button to view your responses.

The link to the survey is:

http://mahoney.aero/survey.htm

If your popup blocker prevents this link from opening, please copy and paste the above link into your browser address bar.

If you would like to take this survey at another time, it is easiest to remember the "mahoney.aero" website. There is a link to this survey on the main page of mahoney.aero. Just punch mahoney.aero into a browser address bar and click on the survey link at the top of the page.

I encourage everyone to forward this link onto as many Part 135 pilot friends as you know!

The survey opening date is October 16, 2008. The survey length will be determined by the amount of surveys received, or late November, whichever occurs first.

The results of this survey will be available at the same survey link (http://mahoney.aero/survey.htm). Bookmark it and revisit the survey link after December 1, 2008 for the results.

Thank you. Your participation is very much appreciated.

Thomas Mahoney Jr. for:

John M. Robbins
[email protected]
Graduate Student
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Last edited by tmahoney; 10-17-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: modify url's for survey
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Nice survey. While I agree that some things need changed, I feel that most changes would probably be worse for the pilots in the end.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: CFII. MEI - C150 seatlocked.
Default 121

how about a 121 fatigue survey...
and a railway fatigue survery....o wait they dont have fatigue.. they have 12 hour duty days.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Line Holder

Position: C-17

I would take a 16 hour duty day any time. Beats 24.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:49 PM
New Hire

To all who have participated in this survey: Thank you very much! At the moment of this writing, 100 surveys have been received. Reliable statistics have been formed from your survey responses.

This Fatigue Survey is still in progress. If you or a Part 135 pilot friend you know have not yet filled one out, when you have an opportunity to do so, please click on the survey link in the first posting (or here: http://mahoney.aero/survey.htm).

Sometime this month, the survey will end. The results and a research paper write-up will be available at the same survey link sometime after December 1, 2008.

Thomas Mahoney Jr.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006

The survey seemed to be designed to suggest that the current regulations are not sufficient.

Do many part 135 pilots want the more restrictions on duty time, part 91 legs or rolling rest? I don't. I don't mind taking the responsibility to park the plane when fatigue is an issue. I just don't want to be limited when fatigue isn't an issue.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:45 PM
New Hire

Default Survey Complete

Thanks to all who have participated. The fatigue survey is now closed.

Keep checking the survey page at http://mahoney.aero/survey.htm for the results (should be up within 3-4 weeks).
Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Really cool survey. A 121 survey would be very telling, too.