Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   135 VFR Day Minimums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/32548-135-vfr-day-minimums.html)

jared4271987 10-21-2008 11:09 AM

135 VFR Day Minimums

Hi all. So I recently acquired the hours to be eligible as PIC in VFR under 135 ops. I have roughly 600TT, so I'm guessing there's not a lot of places available to work for at the moment correct? If so, does anybody know of anyone hiring? Also, do I have to do anything special to make it official so that I can do the 135 VFR PIC, or is the simple fact of having those hours in my logbook good enough? When did most of you switch over to a new logbook? I know that I can squeeze about 100-200 hours on the pages I have remaining, but having that logbook out with me every day is a bigger chance of losing it. Thanks :)

fjetter 10-21-2008 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jared4271987 (Post 483091)
Hi all. So I recently acquired the hours to be eligible as PIC in VFR under 135 ops. I have roughly 600TT, so I'm guessing there's not a lot of places available to work for at the moment correct? If so, does anybody know of anyone hiring? Also, do I have to do anything special to make it official so that I can do the 135 VFR PIC, or is the simple fact of having those hours in my logbook good enough? When did most of you switch over to a new logbook? I know that I can squeeze about 100-200 hours on the pages I have remaining, but having that logbook out with me every day is a bigger chance of losing it. Thanks :)

I plan on keeping my logbook until it is completely filled. I keep it in a secure place ALWAYS! Unless if I need it for that day, I often leave it at home and write down my flight times on a piece of scratch paper or little red crew duty log books.

I also use an electronic backup. Remember if you lose a logbook, your last 8710 is always proof of flight time. There is a file here on APC that you can download for free (vs. $80 for logbook pro) that is a pretty nice excel sheet.

b18onboost 10-21-2008 11:49 AM

Pacific Wings is hiring VFR captain. 35k a year plus 1k relocation fee.

Mitragorz 10-21-2008 01:22 PM

You need a 135 checkride.

jared4271987 10-21-2008 03:19 PM

What exactly would a 135 checkride consist of? Would it be more of a company thing due to the fact that the company is a 135 operator (just like a 141 standardization ride), or would it be the usual regulations, cross country plan, and flight type of checkride? Thanks again.

hung05 10-21-2008 03:40 PM

the company whoever you decide to work for should give it to you prior to putting you out there.

Ewfflyer 10-22-2008 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by jared4271987 (Post 483204)
What exactly would a 135 checkride consist of? Would it be more of a company thing due to the fact that the company is a 135 operator (just like a 141 standardization ride), or would it be the usual regulations, cross country plan, and flight type of checkride? Thanks again.

I don't know what the VFR check-ride entails, but it'd just be a slightly easier ride than the 135 IFR ride, which by all accounts is an equivelant ATP style ride. Just think of it as a combined commercial/instrument ride.

You'll get a lot of ground in the companies Ops Specs, basically the specific rules your company has been authorized by the FAA to follow. Each company is different in these regards, although there at obviously a lot of similarities in most. Then of course the standards you'd see on any check-ride with W&B's, performance charts, MEL's, Sectional/Low-enroute navigation, etc... Usually for us it was a 2-3hr ground, and 1.5-2hr flight.

I don't know under VFR if you have to do the 6-month ride, but IFR you do.

mcartier713 10-22-2008 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by b18onboost (Post 483123)
Pacific Wings is hiring VFR captain. 35k a year plus 1k relocation fee.

I just looked at their website and it says they are hiring FOs... what do you know that I don't? :p

b18onboost 10-22-2008 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by mcartier713 (Post 483493)
I just looked at their website and it says they are hiring FOs... what do you know that I don't? :p

they're not updated. My inside source told me that they need at least one VFR captain because one just got fired....from what i heard, the guy took off with a damage airplane and didn't realize it until at the end of day. A fuel truck ran into it and made a dent somewhere. Gotta love Pac Wings.

bertengineer 10-22-2008 12:55 PM

www.flightexpress.com

www.austincollins.com