Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight Questions

Old 04-04-2006, 01:31 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Default Ameriflight Questions

Just a few questions for any ameriflight pilots out there.

1. How long is the typical upgrade to a twin turbine?

2. About how many hours a year do the pilots fly?

3. Do most of the new hires live in crashpads?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:36 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2005

1. Some direct hire into twin turbine, of course, as always, depending on experience. My personal experience, I got to choose the base, therefor turbine or piston. Which do you suppose I chose? It really depends on the needs of the company at the time of hire. Portland and Pheonix are the big piston twin bases, most everwhere else is turbine, with the 99 as your entry aircraft for low timers.

2. Upgrades, figure at or around 6 months, IF you're willing to relocate. Internal politics, the forces that be, and your buddy the assistant chief pilot will be able to influence this when turbine spots open in other bases. Count on 6 months at your first base as they like to see you in one place for six months before, relocating and/or upgrading. This goes for the 99s into metro and B1900s as well.

3. crash pads; you do the math. Pay is ~$12 ish/hr for piston or 99, garaunteed 40 hours (units) per week, 52 weeks per year. $750 per paycheque after taxes and medical deductions in a B99. So, cali, SEA, OAK, might be expensive, BIL, PDX (??), PHX might be a better deal. Also keep in mind some of these bases you will not be living in that town, but outstationed and fliying into it everyday. Every weekday that is. As for flight time, it's not a quick builder, I figure, at most, 3ish hours per day of flight time, some places less, not too many have more. If it takes longer, they put a bigger faster plane on it. The longest flights Ameriflight systemwide are B1900s out of PR, with 4-6.5hours per day average.

Any more questions? Oh, should also mention, all single pilot, twin turbine PIC, not much in the way of autopilots, or GPS except in the Caribbean. Boxes are cheap to replace, boys.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

I have an interview with Ameriflight on August 1st and I still have a few questions.

What is the typical PA-31 schedule? days a week, night or day, etc.

what about time off?

If anyone could give me some tips as to the interview and sim ride that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by scjfly; 07-21-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: BE-99 Captain

Originally Posted by scjfly
I have an interview with Ameriflight on August 1st and I still have a few questions.

What is the typical PA-31 schedule? days a week, night or day, etc.

what about time off?

If anyone could give me some tips as to the interview and sim ride that would be great.

Thanks in advance
Pa-31 schedule is M-F leave early am return late in the p.m.
weekends off and major holidays 1 week paid vacation 1st year
depends on where you are simming? If in bur IFR deparure, one approach, and hold. Tech no approach charts and enroute charts. basic IFR crap
Old 07-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Line Holder

Thanks for the quick response! I am interviewing with Joni in BUR. The base I am applying for is PDX, as I see you are or were located at. Any suggestions as far as Portland goes?

Do you have a sample schedule so I can get an idea as to what I am possibly getting into?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Line Holder

Also, is the pay truley salary and is the one listed below accurate?

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/a...eriflight.html
Old 07-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: BE-99 Captain

Portland is not a bad base. There are many runs to choose from in the Pa-31 but slow upgrade to 99. The pay is truley salary with the occansional possibilty to earn extra on a special flight or something. A sample run would be call in at 0600 show at PDX @ 0700 fly to some place in the middle of the boonies, hang out all day long then fly back at around 6:00 in the evening. Hope this helps. If you get hired I'm sure you will know what this means.
IT'S GOING GREAT BOB!!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Line Holder

What does the average pilot do with the time in the middle of the day?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Play golf, get a second job, online schooling, or any number of things that can be done within a 8 hr period.
Also to address the salary question, most runs are guarranteed 40hrs a week so it's like salary.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Line Holder

Thanks,

Like I stated earlier, I am applying for a position in PDX, but had requested SLC on my app. When Joni called, she said they could move me to SLC in about 6 months. Is this realistic? If so, how is the temporary housing in Portland?

Thanks for all the info, just trying to get a realistic idea of how the job really is!