Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska- For Pilots and Mechanics and those interested

Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Livin' the dream
Default Alaska- For Pilots and Mechanics and those interested

Howdy,
Wondering if we can start a new thread on flying and maintaining for those involved and interested in aviation in Alaska? The last thread on AK aviating was closed due to a bit of silliness, perhaps we can avoid that for a while. Maybe we can do something lighthearted for those living the dream, and informative for those who might want to be? Hoping we can use this to share important area operational knowledge, aircraft info, pass on "so there I was" stories (incognito) which might help preserve somebody else's bacon, and inform interested people about opportunities up North. Or/and whatever else you can think of. I also would not mind if one of you knows where I might find a 29-39 year old attractive, witty, well read single female who is fond of scruffy looking, underpaid, extremely handsome adventurer types, but that's probably for another web-site. Questions/comments/complaints welcomed and encouraged (probably). All welcome. Including Canadians, eh? Hey Canada! You out there? I'll buy you a beer next time we meet in Whitehorse!
Cheers,

P.S. -For employment seekers-please research any outfits and operational areas you are interested in carefully. Information regarding accidents/violations is readily available from non-partisan sources (NTSB's monthly accident list, mostly). Protect yourself and your possible future passengers by utilizing available information and the hard earned knowledge of the careful, well seasoned, experienced Alaskan Aviators you may meet at some point . Be careful out there. I apologize for the legal-ese, and generally this part sounds like a bummer, just be mindful that it ain't always that much fun up North. It is pretty awesome though

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 12-01-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Alaska FAA Webcams.Weather Cameras Home - Federal Aviation Administration - (Monday, 12/01/08)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Seaplane Jobs Website- SEAPLANE JOBS : Pilot Jobs, Seaplane & Floatplane Jobs & Employment, Seaplane Pilots Association
Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Pilot Career Centre Website.
US, Canadian, and worldwide jobs.http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/PilotJobs.asp
Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

A partial listing of Alaska Air Taxi Operations.Alaska Air Taxis, Bush Pilots and Charter Services
Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Fly Alaska job site. Requires membership for job listings.Alaska flight operations and Alaska Flying
Old 12-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: Enjoying the view

I'm interested in going to Alaska. Actually, I'm exploring any option to be financially able to have an enjoyable flying career after a decade in management! I'm still instructing and I have just over 1050 tt with over 270 ME. I have a family, so I'm trying to avoid being poor for the next ten years.
I have read so much on the Alaska forums, and I have a few friends that used to live and fly in Alaska. One is going back, and another would if his wife liked it. He is wanting to talk his wife into a summer home there though. From what I hear, Alaska has much of what I want: unblemished natural splendor, friendly people, frontier mystique, fun flying, plenty of adventure, and the opportunity to make great money.
The problem is that it is so far away from our families. It also seems like it is hard to break into Alaska flying unless you have the coveted "Alaska time." I should be close to ATP mins by the time spring hiring comes along, but I still don't think I can make enough cash to support my family that first year. Ahhh, this is the problem in every entry level flying job.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to anything (so is my awesome wife)- flying fresh salmon in Alaska, skydivers in Florida, tourists in the Caribbean, boxes or checks anywhere, passengers in a domestic or foreign regional, or airline cadets in Dubai or California. It sounds crazy, but it is difficult to find the best road in this terrible market.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2008

So I recently ran across this website and so far has provided a lot of information. Right now I am going to Western Michigan University and I realized "real" life is coming up very fast and I need to start looking for a job. It seems the trend at Western is to get you licenses, become a CFI then try and get a job at an airline. I don't want to do this. I would love to come to Alaska and fly there doing whatever. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to get my A&P along with all of my licenses. Would it help me get a job with no Alaska time? But on the flip side it's another year and a half of school along with another year and a half of tuition.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

nhm,
Howdy,
Well I'll try to keep it kinda short, I re-read my original post and decided that I tend to type too much sometimes.
I can only offer you advice based on my own experience, so please keep that in mind. If others out there have input on this please help out.

I think being a pilot/mechanic in Alaska can be a good thing depending on what kind of operation you are working for. Good points are that you will have the possibility of learning a great deal about your company's aircraft, and earning a paycheck while doing it. You may look attractive for hiring as you will be able to help out many outfits a great deal. A few things to keep in mind though- The A+P certificate, like any pilot's certificate, is a license to learn. The aircraft I've flown and worked on are not terribly complex, but I had the help of great mechanics when I was new to working on them. I would not want to be a pilot mechanic at a not so great company without that kind of guidance and help. Your responsibility as an A+P is just as great as it is as a pilot. You may lose out on some flying to other pilots when something breaks, needs an inspection, or the company does not have enough (or any) mechanics around to work on it. On the other hand, you may have a job year round if/when operations slow for the winter and fewer pilots are needed. You may also be able to troubleshoot or fix your own aircraft when something goes kaput away from base.
It's kind of a double edged sword, and one that can get you in trouble if you are not careful. As I said, both jobs demand that you do your best. I don't know that I would recommend getting an A+P certificate for the purpose of increasing your chances of getting hired. Only if you are truly interested in being a mechanic too, perhaps for a big part of your time in aviation.
I do not regret that I'm a pilot and A+P. It has been good for me so far. I hope to continue learning and growing as both. If you have any more questions let me know and I'll try to help out. I wish you the best whatever course you decide on.

Cheers,
Sorry, that was pretty long.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 12-03-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Cargo FO

Originally Posted by nhm6408 View Post
So I recently ran across this website and so far has provided a lot of information. Right now I am going to Western Michigan University and I realized "real" life is coming up very fast and I need to start looking for a job. It seems the trend at Western is to get you licenses, become a CFI then try and get a job at an airline. I don't want to do this. I would love to come to Alaska and fly there doing whatever. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to get my A&P along with all of my licenses. Would it help me get a job with no Alaska time? But on the flip side it's another year and a half of school along with another year and a half of tuition.
Yes getting your A and P would help you a lot in Alaska and any where else you would get a job with no Alaska time with a A and P the year and half you spend in school getting it would put you years ahead