Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Pm'd.........
Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Retired

Do know how much Simcom charges for a class of two pilots for the 850? Also, I heard that Simcom has a facility in PHX, we are in So Cal, so that would be easier for us? Thx.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: Left Seat

about 8k for initial and about 5k for annual training. They will give discounts for multiple pilots.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Flying Farmer

I would just call them honestly. They have all sorts of training combinations and pricing structures.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:15 AM
patience

Joined APC: Mar 2011

I believe Orlando is the only place where you can do sim training but I could be wrong. In order to get signed off, you have to fly with a simcom instructor in your own/company plane after you are done with the sim training. If you live in socal, you would in all likely hood have to fly your plane to Orlando or pay for a simcom instructor to come to you. All the training could be conducted in the actual airplane but some insurance companies want to see some sim time.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Flying Farmer

Originally Posted by Systemized View Post
I believe Orlando is the only place where you can do sim training but I could be wrong. In order to get signed off, you have to fly with a simcom instructor in your own/company plane after you are done with the sim training. If you live in socal, you would in all likely hood have to fly your plane to Orlando or pay for a simcom instructor to come to you. All the training could be conducted in the actual airplane but some insurance companies want to see some sim time.
I did not do any flying in the actual airplane to get signed off. I believe this is an option in most cases. This was in 2007.

With that said, they highly prefer it that way, but last I knew its really up to your insurance company. Most new owners need XX hrs, and the trip to MCO really helps eat away at that requirement, so most do fly there. Corporate depts will probably not send the plane because they can get IOE from current staff if time in type is needed.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005

kinda off topic, but is fuel balance in the TBM 850 done automatically or does the pilot have to switch tanks every XXX minutes. I saw a cockpit picture of one and it look like manual switching aka Piper Lance.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Flying Farmer

Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
kinda off topic, but is fuel balance in the TBM 850 done automatically or does the pilot have to switch tanks every XXX minutes. I saw a cockpit picture of one and it look like manual switching aka Piper Lance.
It's both!

There is the manual valve that you see pictured. There is a system that will move it automatically. Depending on the squat switch, the times are different. Every 1:15(I think, been awhile) on the ground, 10 min in the air.

Not an exact science, but it works well and is simple. The 700's can have 25 gal imbalance, the 850's only 15 gal.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005

thanks Ewfflyer