Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Tbm700/850

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Default Tbm700/850

I was wondering if there are any pilots on this forum that have some experience with the TBMs? Either 700 and/or 850 models. I will be heading down to Simcom in Orlando next month for initial in the TBM for a part 135 gig and I was curious what the folks who fly it think about the aircraft? Training, performance, handling characteristics, etc? I have read up on the airplane in magazines, etc, just wanted to see if I could "get a feel" from some of you that fly it.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Default Great aircraft

I haven't flown the 850, but have a good bit of time in the 700. It's a very easy aircraft to fly, with good handling characteristics, except for a nasty break in the stall. Be prepared with lots of rudder on a go-around for torque roll. It has well-integrated avionics.

Simcom in the TBM is super easy, since it's designed around the low-time owner/operator. I've seen them sign off guys that were completely unsafe in the airplane.

I've never seen anyone operate the TBM under Part 135. Interesting...
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Line Holder

Thanks for the reply TBM. I'm excited to get the opportunity to fly one! I also had never seen a TBM used for 135 operations either. The place I will be flying is actually not 135 certified....yet...but they hope to be soon.

However, check out www.nxaero.com They do operate TBMs part 135. They used to be based in Beverly, MA but are now relocated to Montana i believe.

Thanks again for the reply...happy holidays
Old 12-22-2008, 02:47 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

I absolutely love the TBM's, both 700's and 850's. Pending on the model you're flying, it'll have a different A/c system. The new 850's are obviously the best, but I'm betting you're probably in a 700C2 or 850 w/o the G1000. Anyways, besides being an outright solid airplane, it offers some great performance and capability. My biggest piece of advice is, if you use full-flaps to land, get the speed down to 85kts. If you come in at 90 or above, you'll float and float and float...... If you like faster speeds, and have plenty of runway, just land with approach flaps at 90-95kts. The other quirk I have with flying them is the rudder trim vs. the Yaw-damp. Basically, I set the trim about 1/2-way between neutral and the T/O position for departure. If you go full trim, you'll have to lay on it the second you take off. The other associated issue is that it works best to shut the YD off, re-trim, turn it on, etc... for each time you have a speed change. Not too bad if you get a constant climb, but step climbs suck.

I'd be glad to answer any other questions, and I work for a Socata dealer, and have time in each model(albeit, not a bunch in any given model except maybe the standard 850 and the 700C2)
Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 AM
Line Holder

Ewfflyer-

Thanks so much for that informative reply! I took notes on what you wrote and and I just got a used manual the other day from the company I'll be at and it is a TBM700C2, but looks like they will be getting a TBM850 on property soon as well...although they didnt mention if it was a used one or not...I don't think its a G1000 equipped one either...but maybe someday

Anyways, I will keep what you said in mind also and if something else comes up, I will pass my question to you. Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Works harder not smarter

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: A320 CA

I have 1500 hours in the 700B, cargo config. Training was in MCO Simcom - be aware the sim is very unstable. Don't be discouraged. If able, ask for Carlos Hernandez (I hope I have the name right!). He's a great instructor.

Several things about the airplane:

-Rudder trim is your friend. Get used to your thumb always on the yoke rudder trim. Different speeds require different trim input.
-When using full flaps, expect a full 5-10 degrees nose pitch down. This can be un-nerving and will cause you to pull-up, level off. My best advice is push the nose over when selecting full flaps. Note your VSI and hold that attitude.
-Shooting non-pre approaches, use/config for full flaps. If/when you level off at your MDA, the airplane will fly better at full flaps/low speed. Don't forget rudder trim. (Set it and forget it.)
-Precision approaches, use approach flaps.
-You will love landing this airplane with approach flaps (ie - not full flaps), yet get used to landing full flaps. It takes practice, practice, practice. Yet it will be your best friend on the short fields. The airplane will feel like (with full flap landings) the nose of the airplane is targeted for the ground. Yet once you flare, and you are on-speed (85-90 kts) the nose will come up for you and you'll 'plop' down on the main gear nicely (calm winds).
-Landing technique. In the flare, after pulling power to idle, select and continuously hold electric yoke pitch trim up (thumb pitch trim button pushed down) until touchdown. Your landings will be softer than any 'arm push/pull' landing.
-Crosswind landings - good luck. This airplane is cross-controlled (ie - roll and yaw are mechanically connected within the cable controlls). You will have to 'fight' this cross connection when transitioning from crab to wing-low/rudder cross wind landing. Full flap cross wind landing can be a 'bear', so if runway length is available, suggest using approach flaps.
-Be very cautious on contaminated runways/taxiways!!! Small wheels = bad handling with standing water, slush and snow. Also, only 8" inches of clearance between prop and ground. Best advice is taxi slow!!! And be ready to shut the engine down with condition lever if the airplane does not stop, or weather veins due to high winds. I have had to do this several times in bad weather taxi's (the landing gear is the 'weak link' on this airplane).
-Turbulence - This airplane is stiff as a board. Any bumps en route will be felt. Slow down.

I have several hundred hours in the PC-12. Why anyone would buy a TBM after owning a PC is beyond me. The ONLY thing the TBM 700 does, is fly 20kts faster that a PC. I would fly this airplane in the FL20's and NEVER saw 300kts. On average, 260kts. Everything else, the PC is a better airplane. Ask your MX guys after having worked on both airplanes. The PC is a tank!

One more piece of advice. Any approach (visual, precision), 8 miles out, set power to 20% and the airplane will slow to all landing speeds. You'll typically never have to touch the power again until flare.

Oh! And one more thing. When taxiing, use beta, not the brakes. MX will thank you, the company will thank you. Brakes are 'tinker toy', don't last long, don't work well, and are very expensive to fix.

Have fun!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Flying Farmer

Don't know about the gear being weak or a weak link, by far the most stout gear system of any plane I fly. The "B" models I don't have time in. The one we just bought for inventory is getting a Garmin upgrade(including WAAS). The C2's/850's I have plenty of time in and I get 270-280 in the C2 on 55gph or less, the 850's I get 305 everyday, sometimes 310, on about 57-60gph. Practically speaking, brand new it's $1million less than the PC12, goes faster on less fuel, but if you're hauling tons of weight, then the PC12 is the way to go, no denying that!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Line Holder

Thanks to all for the replies. I was recently told that my training would be in the TBM850 (non-G1000). Class starts next week and I am very excited to learn this airplane and see for myself what it is capable of. Thanks again and I will keep what you have all said in mind.

--PC12Flyer
Old 01-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Flying Farmer

The last I heard, they are "still" just finishing up the G1000 sim there @ SimCom, but some of my sources said it should be up and running no later by the end of this month. I think you'll really enjoy the school there, some pretty professional guys teaching. I had a slightly lack-luster experience, but it was still very informative and got the training done ahead of schedule, as you should also since the course is catered more towards the owner/pilot, not the pro's.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Line Holder

Ewfflyer-

I was curious about the way the TBM class is set up at Simcom. I saw on Simcom's website the syllabus for the 6 day initial course but I read that you had gotten through training ahead of schedule. How does the schedule work day to day? Mix of ground school and sim each day? Quizzes? Also, is there an oral exam or just a written exam at the end? I won't have a TBM down in Orlando for actual flight training, so is the last day that is scheduled in their syllabus as a flight in the actual airplane just done in the simulator? Lastly, I know there is no type rating required for this airplane, but is there some kind of sim "check" before you get signed off from this course? Appreciate your responses.....