Cape Air glides into Naples

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air glides into Naples

Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 737FO

Proof that less experienced pilots can be "worth the money" as well. Not just the 30 year veterans.

Not to dwell here, but the USAirways Captain did a great job. The Cape Air pilot also did a good job. I'm assuming if you put their logbooks next to each other you would see a vast difference in experience level.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
*****Although there were 12 gallons of gas in the right tank, Cape Air personnel suspected the gas had transferred from the right tank overnight after the plane landed, Monville said. There were 275 pounds of gas in the left tank, he said.*****

Ok, I'm raising a huge BS flag. Sorry CapeAir, but I just don't buy it.

Originally Posted by F172Driver View Post
Hmm, a stuck valve? I dunno thats kinda odd. I have no idea how the fuel system on a 402 works but something doesn't sound right here. Of course I could be wrong but it'll be interesting to see the final report on this one.From the article, they make it sound like the pilot didn't even try to restart the engines. Im not so sure I believe that unless he was pretty low, but either way big props to the pilot for gliding it in.

I just hope no one in the media finds you two "experts."

First, let me say I have no 402 time, but have a good deal of 414 and 421 time. I believe they share many of the same systems.

My experience with the 400 series fuel selector valves is they leak like sieves. Sitting on a slightly sloped ramp could cause a 50 lb. imbalance in less than an hour. Add a malfunctioning valve, and 12 gallons could move very quickly.

The valves are connected to selectors via bell cranks, which are just as happy flexing as moving the valve if everything isn't well lubricated. On a couple occasions, I had fuel starved engines due to stuck valves. Get the plane on the ground, smear some grease on the linkage, and she's good as new.

Folks, its bad enough that the Jeraldo Riveras of the world are out to linch us pilots for ANY PERCEIVED misstep, but why are our "brethren" bringing the rope?

Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Proof that less experienced pilots can be "worth the money" as well. Not just the 30 year veterans.

Yeah, the Cape pilot ONLY had 25 years in Cessnas (according to the paper).
Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post

First, let me say I have no 402 time, but have a good deal of 414 and 421 time. I believe they share many of the same systems.
First off, this site isn't the Media. I thought on a site with pro's I could merely state that I wasn't in agreement with the statements that the article had made, and something is fishy. Secondly I have not made any specific claims anyways other than I disagree. Maybe you should re-read it. I never put a defined "This is what happened" statement there. F172driver even made a more specific statement than I ever did!!!

I flew 2000hrs in C310's, so I'm familiar with the valves and bell-cranks etc.. I also was trained in a C421(c-model) at my old operator. I had never heard of fuel transfering between tanks on the ramp on any of these models. I will call my sources and see if they've had any experience with that. I also did some right-seat time in the C421B that had the tip tanks. I'm not saying that this isn't possible either, I'm just saying I have never been made aware of that issue before.

Sorry if I'm having a hard time believing that this airplane shoud've dead-sticked into Naples with that much fuel in one of the tanks. In the article it mentioned that they were able to fly the aircraft after the fact, as they were able to replicate the issue on the ground prior to that. So I have a lot of questions about this specific incident and what would allow it to happen, so Shoot Me! I'll save those for another post.

As a side-note, I'm extremely cautious about talking about anything aviation with the Media. I'm sure you've heard about Marcus Shrenker(The Meridian Pilot who bailed out). We serviced that plane, I flew it personally a few times, etc... ABC Nightline sent out a crew, and my coworker and myself talked with them. My coworker was the one they interviewed, and I went through any of the technical aspects they were asking about. We were very adament about preserving the image of GA and that it wasn't really anything to do with the aircraft.

So please, unless you know me, and know where I'm coming from, refrain from any flaming until you know where I'm coming from.

Thank you, and have a good day.

Erik
Old 01-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: C172 Right Side

My experience with the 400 series fuel selector valves is they leak like sieves. Sitting on a slightly sloped ramp could cause a 50 lb. imbalance in less than an hour. Add a malfunctioning valve, and 12 gallons could move very quickly.

The valves are connected to selectors via bell cranks, which are just as happy flexing as moving the valve if everything isn't well lubricated. On a couple occasions, I had fuel starved engines due to stuck valves. Get the plane on the ground, smear some grease on the linkage, and she's good as new.

Folks, its bad enough that the Jeraldo Riveras of the world are out to linch us pilots for ANY PERCEIVED misstep, but why are our "brethren" bringing the rope?

Yeah, the Cape pilot ONLY had 25 years in Cessnas (according to the paper).
First off, I never said that I was any expert. I specifically said that I have no idea how that system works and I most certainly wasn't trying to "bring the rope". Personally, I think theres more to this than meets the eye at this time. Thats why I think the final report is going to be an interesting read when its published.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:54 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2008

I would get to work in the morning after parking on a sloaped ramp and most of the fuel was in the downhill tank. This happens in the 402C. I started to pull the x feed shut off after the last flight of the day and that kept the fuel balanced.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Not to dwell here, but the USAirways Captain did a great job. The Cape Air pilot also did a good job. I'm assuming if you put their logbooks next to each other you would see a vast difference in experience level.
This pilot was an early 1990s hire at Cape Air. Don't think that just because he's flying 402s he's inexperienced. Lots and lots of retired airline guys and furloughees flying the line out here.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Arrogant assumption! If you knew anything which you don't, so let me inform you: Pilots who worked at USAir with higher seniority than "Sully" who retired early are also flying 402's these days.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: MD80

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
This pilot was an early 1990s hire at Cape Air. Don't think that just because he's flying 402s he's inexperienced. Lots and lots of retired airline guys and furloughees flying the line out here.
+1! Great post!

X
Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
First off, this site isn't the Media.

Thank you, and have a good day.

Erik
The media reads these and occasionally they even quote them.

Statements like "I'm raising a huge BS flag. Sorry Cape Air I just don't buy it" are not theorizing or inquiring: they are inflammatory.

By the way according to the report, when it landed, the plane had about 350 lbs (275 lbs plus the 12 gallons) not just 275 lbs.

And thanks, I had a great day
Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: C172 Right Side

The media reads these and occasionally they even quote them.

Statements like "I'm raising a huge BS flag. Sorry Cape Air I just don't buy it" are not theorizing or inquiring: they are inflammatory.

By the way according to the report, when it landed, the plane had about 350 lbs (275 lbs plus the 12 gallons) not just 275 lbs.

And thanks, I had a great day

If the media quoted a forum online I would die from laughing and then change the channel or wipe my rear with the newspaper. Forums can lead them to knowledgeable people maybe but they should by no means be used as a source.