Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
Pacific Wings Fired For Pilots Starting Union??? >

Pacific Wings Fired For Pilots Starting Union???

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Pacific Wings Fired For Pilots Starting Union???

Old 02-01-2009, 09:08 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Default Pacific Wings Fired For Pilots Starting Union???

Is this true? I worked there at one time, and they were a pretty horrible company to be employed at. I can see this happening, and heard a rumor, was curious if anyone else has heard anything about this? I heard that several pilots across all three certificates were fired for attempting to start a union. I didnt know you could be fired for that. Well I've never regret my decision to leave PW, but I hate to see someone lose there position for trying to make a better working environment for themself. Expecially when you know that PW is probably one of there first real gigs, because its really just a time builder or experience builder. So any info on this???
Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: A320 Captain

They legally couldn't fire anyone for starting a union. If this did happen the company most likely made up BS or became very strict with these guys just to find a way to get rid if them.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 AM
New Hire

I worked for PW in New Mexico and Georgia before being fired over a lie. Myself and 3 other pilots were fired for trying to let another pilot from another 121 airline get a jumpseat. We attempted to contact upper management about getting him some sort of jumpseat or discounted rate and were told absolutely NO. So we made the guy pay for a ticket and 2 days later we were fired for "trying to smuggle someone on board" which was completely an exaggeration. In my time with PW I witness about a dozen pilots fired in a 6 month period. Since then I know of 9 more being fired in the last 3 months. This is a complete crap company I beleive they do very shady operations and that they will fire anyone who they are threatened by who are usually the better and safer pilots, and keep the idiots who shouldn't be flying to begin with. And on a further note I wouldn't recommend management to run a lemonade stand.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 PM
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B777

Open the linked PDF

http://files.ali-aba.org/thumbs/data...r_04_thumb.pdf

Search for "laboratory conditions"

If pilots met the requirements under laboratory conditions and were terminated based on a deviation from past practice then they may have a claim.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008

I am as of yesterday one of 9 Captains and first officers whose employment was terminated without cause on 1/31/09.

I cannot go into details of how or why directly, as this may constitute slander/liable.

But all pilots who were fired within hours of each other were rumored to have been involved with forming a union.

All people who were rumored not to be involved with union formation in Hawaii ARE STILL EMPLOYED and flying today.

What happened in the last 72 hours by TOP management and fellow employees was shameful and completely unprofessional.

Last edited by name10135; 02-01-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by name10135 View Post
I am as of yesterday one of 9 Captains and first officers whose employment was terminated without cause on 1/31/09.

I cannot go into details of how or why directly, as this may constitute slander.

But all pilots who were fired within hours of each other were rumored to have been involved with forming a union.

All people who were rumored not to be involved with union formation in Hawaii ARE STILL EMPLOYED and flying today.

What happened in the last 72 hours by TOP management and fellow employees was shameful and completely unprofessional.
That's the word on the street from a buddy of mine out there. Go get 'em guys.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 PM
On Reserve

Like mentioned before I never regret my decision to leave, but it deeply saddens me that a group of pilots had to pay the price for severely poor management. I hope these guys band together and go after them, because after seeing this industry from about all angles, I dont think I can stand to see pilots get pushed around much more. It's becoming an industry that requires much of you, and the benefits are not so much outweighing the sacrafice these days. If anyone hears any more on this please post it up.

Last edited by FastEasy; 02-01-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Cessna 152 Captain

After Reading HSLDs post I say Go GET em..

In Unity...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I cannot go into details of how or why directly, as this may constitute slander/liable.

I am also one out of the TEN Captains that were terminated without cause on 01/31/09.

Sad state of affairs....and extremely unprofessional.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550

This brings up an issue... What do we think of the people who were rumored not to be involved with the union and still have a job???

This is where this people get screwed, because they did nothing wrong but show up to work. Then their names start floating around, people start deniying these guys jumpseats, and all that stuff.

I guess I feel bad for the guys who got fired and I feel bad for these guys (noon-union) for what's coming to them. I hope they don't experience any bad treatment anywhere.

opinions??