Help! 7000 hrs, & not current

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Help! 7000 hrs, & not current

Old 02-19-2009, 02:12 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Default Help! 7000 hrs, & not current

What an awesome forum! What awesome people to go out of their way to help others!

Can anyone help? I have 7000 hours total, 3000 turbine PIC. I flew big jets for ten years. However, illness in my family prevented me from being able to work for the last three years. I seek to find a nich in 135 air ambulance within the Northwest. I need to get 135 current in a beech 99 or King air. Does anyone know of any SIC jobs in these aircraft. I don't need the time or money, just recency of experience in 135 and the aircraft.

Thanks for all of your help!

DKE
Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

You can look into ADI, they fly Between Olympia and Portland in 1900's for Intel. The Air Ambulance route is pretty tight right now as is everything. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Lear 35

dek727 said... "I don't need the time or money..."

Just a heads up on what I'm sure you considered a completely innocent statement there. This is the kind of stuff that will get your seriously flamed around here... especially in the current economy and state of the industry. There are many, many (many, many, many) people on the streets right now due to the downturn. Many operators are cutting back on aircraft crews or just parking airplanes outright to try and ride out the storm. Your "offer" to fly for free could very well put someone else out of work. Now I'm sure that you honestly just want to get back in the game and start flying again... I applaud that. But... just take a minute and think about all the folks that are now on the sidelines watching the game that have families to support and in no way could afford to fly for free. When a prospective operator who is trying to cut expenses looks at you versus someone he is going to have to pay, which one do you think he'll pick... even if it is just for a few hours for you to "get current". A few hours of pay for that other guy might have put food on the table for his kids this week.

We are a very tight knit group of professionals in this industry we call aviation. Don't sell yourself short on your worth as a member of it.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm a man of my word.

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by fr8av8r_66 View Post
dek727 said... "I don't need the time or money..."

Just a heads up on what I'm sure you considered a completely innocent statement there. This is the kind of stuff that will get your seriously flamed around here... especially in the current economy and state of the industry. There are many, many (many, many, many) people on the streets right now due to the downturn. Many operators are cutting back on aircraft crews or just parking airplanes outright to try and ride out the storm. Your "offer" to fly for free could very well put someone else out of work. Now I'm sure that you honestly just want to get back in the game and start flying again... I applaud that. But... just take a minute and think about all the folks that are now on the sidelines watching the game that have families to support and in no way could afford to fly for free. When a prospective operator who is trying to cut expenses looks at you versus someone he is going to have to pay, which one do you think he'll pick... even if it is just for a few hours for you to "get current". A few hours of pay for that other guy might have put food on the table for his kids this week.

We are a very tight knit group of professionals in this industry we call aviation. Don't sell yourself short on your worth as a member of it.

Just my two cents.
Hear hear! I don't think you were offering to fly for free, but if you don't need the time or money, maybe wait a little bit until things start to pick up for everyone before jumping in and taking a job that you may not need. I know a guy who can burn you a copy of Flight Simulator 2004 if that will help soothe your burning desire to fly again

BTW: Hope everything is okay with your family.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

I don't think he was offering free services, he just needs a basic position to try and get recurrent.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 AM
New Hire

Default RE: "I don't need the time or money..."

Thanks to all who replied. regarding the statement that "I don't need the time or money..." No offense intended! I am a working stiff with a family, just like you all. I just wanted to emphasize the need for 135 currency in the air craft over flight time and quality of pay. We all know that you (in most instances) have to have a job, to get a job. I need a job, first and foremost.

I know what it is to eat rice and beans from a paper plate, all the while, living at the airport as a flight instructor. Meanwhile, the "pay to play" people that I had taught to fly were already in the right seat at 121 carriers. I still had to earn 100/500 hours of multi, then 1000 pic turbine, finally, a type certificate to qualify for a jet job. I earned it all the way, and felt myself a better pilot for having done so. I am no silver spoon boy!

Thanks Luv2Rotate for the CONSTRUCTIVE advise and help! And thanks for resisting the temptation to whine like a five year old child when there are obviousely more constructive things to do and say! You are the kind of person I always enjoyed sitting next to on a long over water flight. I hope you make it where you are going!

As for myself, I want to leave the EFIS, ETOP'S, RVSM, and MNPS Behind. I want to wake up next to my wife on saturday morning, and take my little girl skiing or fishing, instead of being the tired stranger who checks in and out of thier lives twice a month. I want to experience the challenge of 135 flying again. I just need the recent experience. Can anyone offer more help!

Thanks,

DKE
Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 AM
New Hire

Thanks again for the reply. Can you tell me how to get in touch with ADI? I Googled them and got nothing.

DKE
Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

This should help
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT - MICHIGAN
Aerodynamics Executive Director of Business Development - Michigan ADI is the largest contract operator of corporate shuttles in the U.S. ADI operates up to thirty-eight daily shuttle flights for Fortune 100 companies in single-aisle executive airliners, regional jets and airliner turboprops. ADI's annual shuttle operations total over eight thousand flights, nearly two hundred thousand passenger enplanements, and over one hundred and fifty million passenger miles annually. As an FAR 121 ...
Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: UPS 757/767 Capt ONT

Eagle Jet International, Inc.

This place offers 135 training and time building. Many will knock it, but you aren't a required crewmember nor paying for a job. Their stated programs might be expensive and overkill for you but maybe they would work you a special deal seeing as how you aren't trying to build time.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Lear 35

Originally Posted by dke727 View Post
Thanks to all who replied. regarding the statement that "I don't need the time or money..." No offense intended! I am a working stiff with a family, just like you all. I just wanted to emphasize the need for 135 currency in the air craft over flight time and quality of pay. We all know that you (in most instances) have to have a job, to get a job. I need a job, first and foremost.

I know what it is to eat rice and beans from a paper plate, all the while, living at the airport as a flight instructor. Meanwhile, the "pay to play" people that I had taught to fly were already in the right seat at 121 carriers. I still had to earn 100/500 hours of multi, then 1000 pic turbine, finally, a type certificate to qualify for a jet job. I earned it all the way, and felt myself a better pilot for having done so. I am no silver spoon boy!

Thanks Luv2Rotate for the CONSTRUCTIVE advise and help! And thanks for resisting the temptation to whine like a five year old child when there are obviousely more constructive things to do and say! You are the kind of person I always enjoyed sitting next to on a long over water flight. I hope you make it where you are going!

As for myself, I want to leave the EFIS, ETOP'S, RVSM, and MNPS Behind. I want to wake up next to my wife on saturday morning, and take my little girl skiing or fishing, instead of being the tired stranger who checks in and out of thier lives twice a month. I want to experience the challenge of 135 flying again. I just need the recent experience. Can anyone offer more help!

Thanks,

DKE
I might infer from reading your reply that you felt I was not offering something constructive to the conversation. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I was trying to offer constructive criticism regarding the way the tone of your post might be perceived by some folks. There was another post on here (see http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/co...operators.html) that the guy really got jumped for. I hate to see that happen, and was just trying to offer up some friendly advice.

Good luck in your search.