Any suggestions? Part 135 gigs with low times

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Any suggestions? Part 135 gigs with low times

Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Originally Posted by JUG47 View Post
You can make out just fine on Cape Air $$$. Usually plenty of OT available and travel benefits. How much more picky can you be with 75ME?
no kidding
Old 03-22-2009, 06:10 AM
IflyApanes

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Former Air Ambulance, Flt Inst, Check Airman, Current CRJ CA

Originally Posted by JUG47 View Post
You can make out just fine on Cape Air $$$. Usually plenty of OT available and travel benefits. How much more picky can you be with 75ME?

I don't need to fly ME aircraft to make myself happy! I would be just as happy in a 207 or an aircraft of the like.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:12 AM
IflyApanes

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
I pay rent and feed myself just fine at Cape. What kind of expenses do you have?

I don't have any expenses at the moment, I live out of hotel rooms working aerial survey. Didn't mean to upset anyone. Just heard that Cape Air FO's struggle with expenses.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:13 AM
IflyApanes

Originally Posted by bertengineer View Post
Flight Express, they fly C 210's for initial and then upgrade to Baron.

www.austincollins.com

www.flightexpress.com
Yeah, Flight Express has my resume. I think I need to start calling them for them to notice me. I'll looks into "austincollins" Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: A320/321 FO

Originally Posted by jbizon View Post
I don't have any expenses at the moment, I live out of hotel rooms working aerial survey. Didn't mean to upset anyone. Just heard that Cape Air FO's struggle with expenses.
With 1500TT, you would be eligible to apply for a Captain slot at Cape Air. They want ATP mins for their scheduled operations, and 1200TT for their Cargo/Mail operation. I have a buddy that works there and he loves it.

I also understand that you are content with flying singles for the time being, but remember, once the regionals/charter outfits start hiring again, they are going to require a lot more Multi-Engine experience then 75 hours. Plus, they are going to want ME currency. Why spend money on getting ME current when you can be paid to be ME current?! Just a thought...
Old 03-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Default Me & Tt

Laxrox you are 100% correct. Like I always say get paid to get what you need and dont pay for what you need. I have worked with many captains who tell me if they could do it all over again they would go the cheaper route.
I paid everything out of pocket and had little expenses apart from my flight training. As soon as I was able to find gigs to build time you bet I did it. I would say if your ultimate goal is to get into the regionals or the majors don't settle for the singles. I was told some regionals like pinicle might be hiring alot within the next two years due to alot of senior pilots who are ready "to be retired" Dont know how true that is.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: Some Hotel

I don't work at Cape Air, but I find it ironic how everyone wants to go work there now (as it is a good company!), but about a year or two ago, nobody looked at Cape because the regionals were hiring like crazy. Anyway, the problem with Cape Air right now is there are too many furloughed refugees and apparently they are overstaffed. I predict once the regionals start to hire/recall again, there will be some movement, and Cape Air will start hiring actively again. It is only a matter of time.

As for right now, a lot of Pt. 135 tour operators are getting ready for the busy summer season. Now is the time to get your resume in!! At most places it is a seasonal job, but it's a job that will allow you to fly and make some income. Do a Google search! Also, most tour operators fly single-engine, high wing Cessna's into small airfields and dirt strips from sunrise to sunset, so if you want Multi time with a fancy glass cockpit and only fly 3 hours a day, then this might not be for you....
Old 03-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by jbizon View Post
No worries! But yeah, as another poster said, if you have ATP mins you'd go directly into the left seat. Pay is certainly livable as a CA.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
No worries! But yeah, as another poster said, if you have ATP mins you'd go directly into the left seat. Pay is certainly livable as a CA.
NightIP, I have a question for you. I got out of RAH back in 08/07. Interviewed at Cape, and was offered a job back then as a Captain. At that time I was interested in the Indiana runs, as I live near Chicago. They told me then that the Indiana runs were only a "tryout". I did not want to relocate. Glad I didn't take it, because now I'd be out of a job. I was just curious how you like it there and if the money is decent.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by wizepilot View Post
NightIP, I have a question for you. I got out of RAH back in 08/07. Interviewed at Cape, and was offered a job back then as a Captain. At that time I was interested in the Indiana runs, as I live near Chicago. They told me then that the Indiana runs were only a "tryout". I did not want to relocate. Glad I didn't take it, because now I'd be out of a job. I was just curious how you like it there and if the money is decent.
I like it. It's a good job while the economy is down. I've only got 6 months in at the company, but I really don't have a whole lot of complaints. They treat you well and the flying is fun. Great people to work with as well, including the rampers, gate agents, etc. The pay is definitely better than I had it my regional. I don't normally like to spit out numbers like this (though our pay scales are posted on APC so it's no secret!), but my last pay stub has a 2009 YTD of a bit over $10,000. That probably won't continue at that rate over the summer due to our staffing situation and a probable lack of overtime, but with about $4,000 this year in transition bonuses (if I decide to go back to the Caribbean next season), mid-$40,000s shouldn't be hard to do first year. If a pilot decides to stay north for the entire year, that number would probably come down a bit unless he/she was senior enough to hold a higher time line. They really make it worth your while to go south for the winter.