Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cessna 402 drivers question

Old 03-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by Abbey2 View Post
Another 402 question is the "split flaps". Anyone ever had had a malfunction with them. Just looking at the design makes me think how bad that could be. I understand basically they have an electric motor driving push-pull rods to a bell crank in the wing. I never had trouble with other twins but then I never had split flaps.
btw/It took me 2 days to log back on here,not sure why the system wasn't working.
I really like the split flaps, personally. If you're flying the engines properly, you're going to need to keep some power in during the descent to keep them warm (nothing new there). The split flaps are all drag, and really do a good job at keeping the speed in check.

Maintenance issues? Maybe one of the guys who have more experience in the plane can give you a good low-down on that. Worst I've heard is one instance of the flaps "snapping" back to zero from a flaps 15 setting. Not sure what caused that, but I've never had any problems with the flaps in about 200 hours in the plane. Doesn't mean much, but *shrugs*.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008

I have seen several 402 crash's online. Last one was in the NE. Not completely sure but I thought it was a Cape Air pilot that had high time,vast flying experience.I think he took off with VCTS and went down within a few miles after Take-off. Another plane departed just minutes after him and had no problems. Anyway just looking for flight characteristics about the plane before I dive in flying single PIC/IFR/135.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

I have seen several 402 crash's online. Last one was in the NE. Not completely sure but I thought it was a Cape Air pilot that had high time,vast flying experience.I think he took off with VCTS and went down within a few miles after Take-off. Another plane departed just minutes after him and had no problems. Anyway just looking for flight characteristics about the plane before I dive in flying single PIC/IFR/135.
If you're talking about the crash up in MVY last year, the investigation is still ongoing. Nobody's really sure what caused that crash at this point. However, per the NTSB report:

Originally Posted by NTSB
A weather observation taken at MVY at 1953, reported: wind from 110 degrees at 5 knots; visibility 5 statute miles with light rain and mist; overcast ceiling at 400 feet; temperature 19 degrees Celsius (C); dew point 18 degrees C; altimeter 30.17 inches of mercury.
Not exactly VCTS. Once the final comes out we'll have a solid understanding about what happened.

Flight characteristics? As I said it's nicely overpowered when it's empty, and can really keep the speed up well in the terminal area. It's a very stable instrument platform, and feels as solid as a Mack truck but with a nice light control feel. Beyond that, well, an airplane is an airplane is an airplane. But, realize that there's a reason you can't find a C402 these days with less than 15,000 hours. They wouldn't have those kinds of hours on them if they weren't good at what they do.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:56 PM
El Capitan

Joined APC: Feb 2007

I have quite a bit of time in 402C's, Navajo Chieftans and Caravans. Day to day operations the 402 is a nice comfortable airplane. The manual cowl flap are no big deal as long as they're maintained. You want to let any big turbocharged engine idle for at least 3 minutes before shutting it down or you will coke up the turbocharger.

If you are going into a short, slippery, muddy runway or into moderate ice you want to be in the Chieftan! The Caravan is really scary on an icey runway with a crosswind! The 402 and Caravan both have a laminar flow wing. Great for speed and effeciency not so good for ice! If you ice up either keep the speed up!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
If you're talking about the crash up in MVY last year, the investigation is still ongoing. Nobody's really sure what caused that crash at this point. However, per the NTSB report:

Not exactly VCTS. Once the final comes out we'll have a solid understanding about what happened.

Flight characteristics? As I said it's nicely overpowered when it's empty, and can really keep the speed up well in the terminal area. It's a very stable instrument platform, and feels as solid as a Mack truck but with a nice light control feel. Beyond that, well, an airplane is an airplane is an airplane. But, realize that there's a reason you can't find a C402 these days with less than 15,000 hours. They wouldn't have those kinds of hours on them if they weren't good at what they do.
The VCTS was in an article from a local paper. Doesn't surprise me as the NTSB report shows a different story. You've pretty much answered the bulk of my question about the plane. Funny I say the same thing (an airplane is an airplane.etc..)as well. I had a friend flying a C421 in the midwest and the elevator became jammed and stuck forcing the nose down. Both pilots used all their strength to control the plane declaring an emergency and landed safely. I saw him almost 4 hours after and as he explained this event to me and I thought,wow,does this indicate anything about Twin Cessna's? Of course I don't want to blow this out of wack but it did make me think. It could happen to any plane at anytime. I'm sure it's rare but hey,this was a fairly experienced guy and I'll never forget his emotion afterwards. They found a fastener/bolt missing(along with a few other things) and so it was mechanical obviously. The 421 is of course an entirely different plane.And ya I notice many of the 402's have high TT's on them. Good point. I like a plane that sits in the air like a MAC Truck! thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: MD80

The only problem I've had with any of the twin Cessna's with split flaps is the rigging...i.e, the amount of flap deployment on one side was a degree or two out from the other. If you find yourself reaching for the aileron trim after extending the flaps...this is probably why. Aside from that, I've never had a really bad asymmetrical "split" flap condition. Works great, lasts a long time.

X
Old 03-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Originally Posted by X Rated View Post
The only problem I've had with any of the twin Cessna's with split flaps is the rigging...i.e, the amount of flap deployment on one side was a degree or two out from the other. If you find yourself reaching for the aileron trim after extending the flaps...this is probably why. Aside from that, I've never had a really bad asymmetrical "split" flap condition. Works great, lasts a long time.

X
I think in any airplane I fly after the 402, I'll subconsciously reach down and to the right for the aileron trim in the same movement after extending flaps.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

The VCTS was in an article from a local paper. Doesn't surprise me as the NTSB report shows a different story. You've pretty much answered the bulk of my question about the plane. Funny I say the same thing (an airplane is an airplane.etc..)as well. I had a friend flying a C421 in the midwest and the elevator became jammed and stuck forcing the nose down. Both pilots used all their strength to control the plane declaring an emergency and landed safely. I saw him almost 4 hours after and as he explained this event to me and I thought,wow,does this indicate anything about Twin Cessna's? Of course I don't want to blow this out of wack but it did make me think. It could happen to any plane at anytime. I'm sure it's rare but hey,this was a fairly experienced guy and I'll never forget his emotion afterwards. They found a fastener/bolt missing(along with a few other things) and so it was mechanical obviously. The 421 is of course an entirely different plane.And ya I notice many of the 402's have high TT's on them. Good point. I like a plane that sits in the air like a MAC Truck! thanks
Yeah, that's a little freaky. I don't know if the 421 shares the same control rigging setup as the 402 but I don't remember reading any accidents being attributed to that in the 402. So far, the only real big things that have been found have been corrected by ADs. Unfortunately they're, well, not exactly minor.

One of the biggest ADs for the 402/414 is a wing spar strap and progressive inspection program for the wing spar. There was a pretty gnarly accident some years back where a wing separated from the aircraft in the descent. Turns out it was massive amounts of spar corrosion. I don't think there are many 402s in active service these days that don't have it done, though.

Another AD is for the exhaust system. If the exhaust leaks it can melt the wing spar and cause a rather serious fire. That's the one that'll keep you up at night. No, but really, no accidents have been attributed to that post-AD so it's been corrected as it should have been.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550

Originally Posted by crjav8er View Post
Stage cooling in descent will be very beneficial to engine life.
Right about that... I flew for Cape Air (about 9 years ago) don't remember much about the bird but one thing I do remember is that, no abrupt idling on descent..... One of our pilots was executing a visual approach into San Juan's rwy 5, he was on a downwind, ATC told him to "make a short approach and head straigh for the numbers, 757 on 5 mile final". He closed the power levers and initiated a steep prety good dive towards the numbers. His right engine felt apart after landing.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009

I have a fair amount of 421 time. Not much 402 time. Other than pressurization, they are very similar as are all 400 series Cessnas. Got to keep those turbocharged engines warm, no shock cooling, or "Oh ******!". The 421 with 375 hp a side can be underpowered at high altitude with weight. It's all relative. Not an easy job keeping the speed up going into MDW with a 75 on your tail, and trying to keep the engines from shock cooling. Learned the trick from my boss, who at 83, still actively flies, and has about 20,000 hrs in the 421.