Part 135 Operation question

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 Operation question

Old 03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Smile Part 135 Operation question

Ok....I am seriously looking into starting a part 135. Earlier I questioned the aircraft type for the operation and got alot of useful answers.

I have did alot of research on this but what I really need to know is the different types of certificates. I know there is ondemand as well as scheduled. If you are an ondemand operator can you operate on a schedule? And if you are a scheduled operator is it imperative that you stick to that schedule?

If I get a basic cert I would prefer to hire another pilot to help in the operation. Right now I am in the process of leaving the part 121. For me it seems like a hard transition after operating there so long. Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:37 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

The scheduled 135 would be like Cape-Air where you have an open schedule and offer it more on a ticket basis. If you are just doing the standard hauling business people around, it's all unscheduled. I believe you can design your OpSpecs to allow for mainly unscheduled, but XX amount of hours scheduled(seen this in Michigan). I also understand it will take you at least a year to get this together if you're lucky.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008

1) Scheduled operations include passenger operations in which the departure location and time and the arrival location are offered in advance by the operator. Scheduled operations can also carry cargo. However, an all-cargo operation is defined as nonscheduled.

NOTE: Scheduled operations do not include public charter operations under 14 CFR part 380.

2) Nonscheduled operations include:

a) Passenger carrying operations in which the departure time and the departure and arrival locations are specifically negotiated with the customer or the customer’s representative

b) All-cargo operations

c) Scheduled passenger operations in aircraft (other than turbojet-powered airplanes) that have 9 or fewer passenger seats and 7,500-pound payload or less that operate with a frequency of less than 5 round trips a week on at least one route between two or more points according to a published flight schedule

This information can be found in your Principle Operator Inspector (POI) guidebook the The Flight Standards Information Manual 8900.10 Search it on Faa.gov then click on Air Operators and read it. This is the guideline book they use to certify you and it will answer any question you have.

You would be better off being unscheduled and transitioning to a scheduled operation if you wish after being certified. Don't forget once you are scheduled operator that flight is leaving regardless of how many people are in the seats, which can be costly until you are sure there is a solid market for a certain route.

I think you are going the right route by being a basic operator because depending on how long you've been 121 you should be able to qualify as DO and chief pilot.

Just so you are aware depending on your FSDO this process can take you anywhere between 6month to 18months to complete.

Best of luck to you.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Line Holder

Almost forgot... Don't forget to goto the faa.gov click airline certification - and download the 135 zip file. This will have a sample GOM and training manual all you have to do is change the headers and fill in the blanks. let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Natlaircharters View Post
Almost forgot... Don't forget to goto the faa.gov click airline certification - and download the 135 zip file. This will have a sample GOM and training manual all you have to do is change the headers and fill in the blanks. let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks alot Natlaicharters. I found a wealth of resources in that zip file. I am currently going through it and reviewing the regs in 119 & 135. Seems complicated when you are not used to it but its getting simpler as I continue to read. The process does seem like it will take a while.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Line Holder

Not a problem... It does get a lot easier as you read I recertified our company a couple years a go and and had to go through the same stuff. Be sure to read that 8900.10 too pertaining to certification it will make it go a lot smoother with the feds when you meet with them.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 PM
veut gagner à la loterie

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Light Chop

I recommend reading 8900 as well, look it up on the FAA website and read it and disect volume 2 on certification of an air carrier.

I think Quest Diagnositics handles a lot of the medical diagnostics services and I know they have a fleet of C310s and Barons that run week nights. Not sure if Airnet is in that arena as well or not, I would guess so.

Last edited by forgot to bid; 03-26-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: On top.

Certification

Flight Standards Information System (FSIMS)

Volume2

Enjoy
Old 03-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

There's a lot of information to go through when setting up a 135 certificate. Between FAR 119, 135, 8900, TSA crap, etc, etc, etc... you'd be well served to find someone who is experienced in 135 ops to act as a consultant. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
On Reserve

Default Question

Where are what type of 135 operation are you trying to establish. A lot of places out there already have 135 certs and you could add your airplanes on to current rather than creating your own. Which someone said already takes a long time.
Originally Posted by cpatterson19 View Post
Ok....I am seriously looking into starting a part 135. Earlier I questioned the aircraft type for the operation and got alot of useful answers.

I have did alot of research on this but what I really need to know is the different types of certificates. I know there is ondemand as well as scheduled. If you are an ondemand operator can you operate on a schedule? And if you are a scheduled operator is it imperative that you stick to that schedule?

If I get a basic cert I would prefer to hire another pilot to help in the operation. Right now I am in the process of leaving the part 121. For me it seems like a hard transition after operating there so long. Any input is appreciated.