Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

I want to carry HAZMAT, How?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Default I want to carry HAZMAT, How?

135 on demand operator
We currently have a will not carry policy and we are discussing what it would take for us to establish a will carry policy for HAZMAT.

Have any of you put together a will carry program? or does anyone have experience carrying HAZMAT? I would like to hear your opinions about HAZMAT programs, problems, concearns.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by JETUPANDGO View Post
135 on demand operator
We currently have a will not carry policy and we are discussing what it would take for us to establish a will carry policy for HAZMAT.

Have any of you put together a will carry program? or does anyone have experience carrying HAZMAT? I would like to hear your opinions about HAZMAT programs, problems, concearns.
Our ability to carry hazmat comes from the FAA and in our ops specs. We have a dedicated hazmat program manager.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Our Ops specs state we will not carry HAZMAT. We want to change our Op Specs so that we have the ability to carry it. We are currently required to do the annual HAZMAT training so that we are able to recognize what a Hazmat label looks like when we see it, so we know that we can't carry it.

I was looking for advise to the actual changes we are going to need to make to our Op specs, our facility, our aircraft, our personel, and IDK to what else. We are a small company, so we all wear many hats. I figured I would ask for the Moon, and see what arrives.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: One man wolfpack

My understanding is that you need to develope a training program, and add a section to your op specs, and have both approved by your POI. There are a few commercial computer-based training products available, and it would not be too hard to add the verbage to your op specs. Do a google search for the hazmat training programs, they will point you in the right direction.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Grad school student - again...

I recommend talking to your POI-FAA person and ask them what they would like to see to get that changed. You may also want to review FAR 135 regs to see what else may be there. I know the flying rules are different, but when I was driving 18 wheelers for trucking companies, HAZMAT loads were more pain in the tail than anything else, but paid very, VERY nicely! There's lots of paperwork (often in triplicate or more), lots of operational controls that must be observed, and lots of safety rules (believe me, they ARE there for a friggin reason). Good luck!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 PM
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B777

Originally Posted by aviator4hire View Post
I recommend talking to your POI-FAA person and ask them what they would like to see to get that changed.
Excellent advise there - in fact a POI's job is to help you become. and stay, compliant with the FAR's.

Just to give you a hard time, you need to follow this link

Let me google that for you
Old 04-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Hi!

I would suggest that you personally pay for and attend Hazmat training at a reputable company...my old company was doing that. You could see what manuals/info training requirements were involved, and talk to the instructors to see how they operated. That would give you a good idea if it would be viable for your company.

You DEFINITELY want to do Hazmat right, because the penalties for even doing paperwork wrong can be very high financially, and, of course, doing them wrong in practical terms can result in deaths and crashes.

I would say about 1/3-40% of the Hazmat trips I had did NOT go, because there was some problem with the paperwork/packing/, etc., etc. It is quite complicated (unless you're in Africa) and time consuming.

We had the system down pat, and we used shippers that knew what they were doing (most of the time). If all went well, it usually meant an extra hour on the ground to accomplish the paperwork and appropriate checklists.

cliff
NBO
Old 04-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: On top.

Start here Flight Standards Information System (FSIMS)
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: On top.

I made it even easier for you http://www.opspecs.com/FAAInfo/Polic...%20Program.pdf