Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: Facing forward, punching buttons

OK...let's see:

"They are not super pilots"

"If I meet the minimums and they like me, I can get the job"

Yep...sounds like a "plan" to me. Everyone please step aside, we have a certified superman in our presence...and he has a PLAN...

Having a plan...good...
Publicly stating "they are not super pilots"...stupid...
"If I meet the minimums and they like me, I can get a job"...dumb...

Maybe in his Ameriflight job...since it appears he's already been hired...he will learn some humility to temper his arrogance...but it seems doubtful based on his posts. Oh wait! Did he say he was hired? Or "will be applying?"

As to FedEx and Brown...my guess is long before he "meets the minimums," he will have mouthed off enough to already be on the radar. IF he gets an interview, they'll have his number well before the interview ends early. IF they happen to be asleep that day and he survives the interview...he'll never survive IOE.

And 30 years from now, he'll still be wondering what went wrong with his "plan"...

By the way, junior...those "not so super" pilots? Wanna bet more than a few can fly circles around you with their eyes closed? From the way you seem so impressed with yourself, the only "brown" you'll be seeing soon will be the racing stripes when you have your first hairy mins ILS.

But just to end on a positive note: I'd suggest you understand what an "outstation" is before you apply. And if you don't know yet what "factors affect an upgrade"...you might check Websters for "arrogance" and "ego."
Old 04-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

To the original poster:

No one knows what the industry is going to look like by the time you are ready to hit the pavement.

Your plan sounds good to me as a starting point. Don't be surprised if you have to change it down the road when you learn a bit more, though. Do your best in whatever you do and don't back yourself into a corner.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by 1515greenlight View Post
Having a plan...good...
1515 -

Is this the attitude of most Purple and Brown pilots?
Do they believe they are "super pilots"?

USMCFLYR
Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Mod note:

42% of the total posts in this thread have been delete for insulting another member (or quoting the original offending thread). Please refrain from further personal attacks.

USMCFLYR
Old 04-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: I only fly multi-winged airplanes.

Are there any ex-Ameriflighters at Brown or Purple that went straight through (that werent dating the general's daughter)?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Question A Little Confused

Originally Posted by slipped View Post
I am going to Ameriflight. I will obstenstibly be applying end of summer@135 mins with higher ME time.
What is upgrade time at right now? What is an outstation? What factors affect upgrade? Am I overly concerned with upgrade?

I am planning on staying~3 years my main goal being to get 1000PIC tubine and get an online college degree on the daily layover, then go to brown or purple.
The floor is open for comments or suggestions,
Thank you gentlemen.

Having "a plan" is a great idea and everyone should have "a road map" they plan to follow. No argument there.

Your plan of getting 1,000 hrs of PIC turbine time and an "online college degree on the layover, then go to brown or purple" is half-baked at best. If those are the qualifications you plan on applying with, be prepared for disappointemnt.

You asked for comments...and mine are to be taken constructively. Plan on getting more than 1,000 hrs. PIC and some "real experience" rather than being so pre-occupied with the upgrade time and the factors that are considered to be upgraded.

Getting selected to be a Captain is a function of flight experience, command ability, the abilty to accept responsibility and crew resource management ability rather than just "how much flight time one has, how long they have been sitting in the right seat and where they are on the seniority list". Without being sarcastic, the sooner you break that code, the better off you'll be. It brings to mind the old saying "some people are so busy learning the tricks of the trade, they never learn the trade".

Just my two cents, devalued to $ .00000187233 on Friday's market close.

G'Luck Mate
Old 04-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Whale FO

I have had a few plans myself and when the rug gets pulled out from under you a couple times you kinda have to roll with the changes. Aviation doesn't really pan out the way you wish it too all the time. You end up with a bunch of gigs that you've had through the years and if your lucky you land a few really good ones.

On the other hand, you can be well on your way to having a job, being hired, making plans for having that job then get furloughed or never start and not get the job back that you just quit for the new better job that never started. Now your down ****s creek with no back up and you have to get a new rating to get another job just to fly to get more time in hopes of getting a better job down the road that you don't even know exists right now.

Your plans will have to be flexible in order to have a career, or many gigs, in aviation.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: PIC

Originally Posted by slipped View Post
I am going to Ameriflight. I will obstenstibly be applying end of summer@135 mins with higher ME time.
What is upgrade time at right now? What is an outstation? What factors affect upgrade? Am I overly concerned with upgrade?

How certain are you that Ameriflight will be hiring this summer?
And if they are, are you positive you will get a call to interview?
And if you do, what are the chances you get the job?
Let's say you do get the job, are you confident you will fly turbine?
I am not sure 135 mins will get you anywhere in this day and age with all the multi-thousand hour guys on the street.
I can go on and on and on.......
I am an optimist by nature, but a pessimist when it comes to aviation!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Originally Posted by 1515greenlight View Post
OK...let's see:

Yep...sounds like a "plan" to me. Everyone please step aside, we have a certified superman in our presence...and he has a PLAN...

I am not asking anyone to "step aside" , this is my life and this is what I want; what wrong with that?

Having a plan...good...

Stupid? Why?

Why?

Maybe in his Ameriflight job...since it appears he's already been hired...he will learn some humility to temper his arrogance...but it seems doubtful based on his posts. Oh wait! Did he say he was hired? Or "will be applying?"

As to FedEx and Brown...my guess is long before he "meets the minimums," he will have mouthed off enough to already be on the radar. IF he gets an interview, they'll have his number well before the interview ends early. IF they happen to be asleep that day and he survives the interview...he'll never survive IOE.

Yeah I am sure the HR people will see me comming, Ill be notorious through out the industry

And 30 years from now, he'll still be wondering what went wrong with his "plan"...

No, I disagree. But dont worry about it.

By the way, junior...those "not so super" pilots? Wanna bet more than a few can fly circles around you with their eyes closed? From the way you seem so impressed with yourself, the only "brown" you'll be seeing soon will be the racing stripes when you have your first hairy mins ILS.

I cant wait for my First ILS. . . what does that stand for again?

But just to end on a positive note: I'd suggest you understand what an "outstation" is before you apply.

I agree thats WHY I asked it in the OP

And if you don't know yet what "factors affect an upgrade"...you might check Websters for "arrogance" and "ego."
Thanks for the your contribution but I was not inviting your or anybody elses negative criticizm.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: goin somewhere....

Ok this thread is going sideways in a hurry...

In my first post I said to be flexible and I meant that as a whole not just with amflight. Having a plan is a good thing but seldom works out exactly how each and every one in this industry has planned it to go. I know I had a plan and I have revised it several times to flow with the industry. Alot of where you go in this industry has to to do with luck and timing and thats it. Qualifications go up and down depending on what is needed by the employer so you may have the right quals one minute and not have them the next. Hold on to your long term plans and try to use every avenue you can to get to them. If ameriflight isn't hiring when you are ready for them then adjust your plan and try anouther approach. your idea about getting your degree while working at ameriflight is a good one but it might take some time because you might not get a run that allows that to happen. Not all of the runs have a long layover. Right now turbine time is hard to come by at ameriflight especially having basic mins. The good news with ameriflight is things change quickly and even if your flying a chieftan, your building some good flight time. If Brown or Purple is where you want to end up then shoot for that, just realize that you may have to shift a little to do it. research all you can on what they look for in a pilot and try to fill those squares as best you can. try and network with employees there, not just pilots. study the gouges for each over and over so you can start preparing yourself if the day comes you get that interview. If the day doesn't come you need to ask yourself what are my back up plans. Good luck with all thats ahead. just keep you head down and work hard at this buisness