Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Cape Air (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/39132-cape-air.html)

WhiskeyMike 06-24-2013 05:59 PM

Well, I had my interview last week and it went great. The last gouge was very accurate. It started with a group introduction to the company, pay, benefits, base assignments, bid system, etc... Then we were called in individually for the interview with a Captain and HR rep. Most questions were "tell me about a time when..." or "your in this situation, what would you do?" type questions. The only technical questions I was asked was how does a turbo-charger work and what are the memory items for an engine failure in a light twin.

That was pretty much it. They were a great group and the interview made me like the company even more.

They called two days later and offered me an FO class in september! Although, I ended up turning down the offer. My wife got a job the same week I interviewed and we decided it just wasn't the right time yet to move and jump in the airlines. Family first. They did leave the offer open though if anything changes so that was really nice of them.

Overall was a great experience and I would still love to fly with Cape in the future if the timing is right. Great company.

Amanda 06-24-2013 06:05 PM

WhiskeyMike, thanks for the info on the interview! I'm glad to hear they left the offer open to you--it just adds to the other qualities I've heard about them! :)

PotatoChip 06-24-2013 06:05 PM

I've rode the jumpseat (I know there isn't an actual jumpseat, but I was a CASS rider) several times and have always had a great experience. I've considered working there in my current furloughed state, however my talks with recruiters have dissuaded me. Both time I have been told that I can plan on being assigned at least three domiciles in my first 18 months and they strongly advise against commuting. Can anyone speak to this? Is this correct that they fully expect you to move your family three times in 18 months? If so, this job really is just for 23 year old CFIs....

Amanda 06-24-2013 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Baronpilot (Post 1433836)
The mail is kind of hit or miss. Some days it can be very easy with light loads and some days it can be a lot of work (sometimes requiring extra runs to get all the morning mail to ACK). Around the holidays and summer is when the loads are at their peak. I've never held a mail line but I was checked out to fill in on it last year when I was a PIC and I've filled in on it a few times in the last month. I like doing it but I wouldn't want it as my fulltime line. I know right now they are having some of us SVT (backup/reserve) captains fill in because there is only one PIC doing it right now, normally being two or three mail pilots.

Thanks for the info!! If I go there, I'll be going in as FO, so I believe I'd be working that for some amount of time no matter what when I'm between the 1200-1500TT. Either way, in comparison with the non-flying jobs in I've had in the past (and managed to enjoy), I'm sure I'll find some way to enjoy it. I'm an optimist, so the glass is always half-full ;)

Bozo the pilot 06-25-2013 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by PotatoChip (Post 1434123)
I've rode the jumpseat (I know there isn't an actual jumpseat, but I was a CASS rider) several times and have always had a great experience. I've considered working there in my current furloughed state, however my talks with recruiters have dissuaded me. Both time I have been told that I can plan on being assigned at least three domiciles in my first 18 months and they strongly advise against commuting. Can anyone speak to this? Is this correct that they fully expect you to move your family three times in 18 months? If so, this job really is just for 23 year old CFIs....

That used to be more common but theyve fixed a few things. Commuting is not really an option- so yes you will have to move to whatever base you are awarded. The problem occurs during the seasonal changeover. Holding Hya or Bos in the winter for anyone junior can be impossible but an outstation can be held year round. I left there 2 years ago but others who are currently employed there will give you more up to date info. Good luck.

Dokk 06-25-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by PotatoChip (Post 1434123)

I can't speak for all the lines, but some are a 4 on 4 off schedule for the Captains which could make it easier to commute depending on where you live. You'd be in base for 4 days then could spend 4 days at home. The company does also pay relocation bonus' up to $2000 to help with the moves.

Bozo the pilot 06-25-2013 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dokk (Post 1434624)
I can't speak for all the lines, but some are a 4 on 4 off schedule for the Captains which could make it easier to commute depending on where you live. You'd be in base for 4 days then could spend 4 days at home. The company does also pay relocation bonus' up to $2000 to help with the moves.

4 and 4 are rare and prob senior right? 2000 is for moves to and from the carib only. The most I got was 500 minus taxes. Maybe the union got that amount up though.

Dokk 06-26-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bozo the pilot (Post 1434649)
4 and 4 are rare and prob senior right? 2000 is for moves to and from the carib only. The most I got was 500 minus taxes. Maybe the union got that amount up though.

$2000 if the move is greater than 1200 miles I think. If you move to the Midwest it qualifies. Get based in BOS out of training and you'll probably only get $500.

Some of the bases have 4 on 4. 3 on 4 off is senior. 4 on 3 is the most common.

Bozo the pilot 06-26-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dokk (Post 1434958)
$2000 if the move is greater than 1200 miles I think. If you move to the Midwest it qualifies. Get based in BOS out of training and you'll probably only get $500.

Some of the bases have 4 on 4. 3 on 4 off is senior. 4 on 3 is the most common.

Most bases itll be 500 minus taxes. This is not a commutable airline-management wants pilots based in the outstations. Lets be clear its a good place to work, but you may have to move twice the first year and commuting will be very difficult. Be prepared to live in outstations except for the summer- and if you get bos/hya for the summer, youll be moving each september until you're senior enough to hold a hub year round. Might take 3 years or more. Also if you do "commute", youll be riding a 402 back to your base and they hold 9 pax so good luck commuting. If things have changed from 2010 in a major way- please correct the above info. peace

Dokk 06-26-2013 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bozo the pilot (Post 1435038)
Most bases itll be 500 minus taxes. This is not a commutable airline-management wants pilots based in the outstations. Lets be clear its a good place to work, but you may have to move twice the first year and commuting will be very difficult. Be prepared to live in outstations except for the summer- and if you get bos/hya for the summer, youll be moving each september until you're senior enough to hold a hub year round. Might take 3 years or more. Also if you do "commute", youll be riding a 402 back to your base and they hold 9 pax so good luck commuting. If things have changed from 2010 in a major way- please correct the above info. peace

<<<Rides a 402 back to his base and commutes weekly. Plan on spending more time in your out station than at home. Finding another pilot who will shift swap days helps.

Based in BOS or STL helps tons but guys do it in the out stations. Maybe my idea of commuting is wrong, but I've yet to spend a single day off in base.