Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Old 05-21-2015, 04:25 PM
  #1231  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: May 2015
Posts: 11
Default

I would think it would be easy if you wanted it. Most people don't want to go out there just because they aren't from there. Also it's pretty expensive unless you get billings, which you could ask for.
cairful is offline  
Old 05-21-2015, 05:35 PM
  #1232  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 44
Default

Originally Posted by cairful View Post
I would think it would be easy if you wanted it. Most people don't want to go out there just because they aren't from there. Also it's pretty expensive unless you get billings, which you could ask for.
Thanks. Since I'm originally from Wyoming, something about Montana seems to call my name. It would be superb to get that because of proximity and familiarity but I'm excited to fly anywhere.
ASaintBernard is offline  
Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 PM
  #1233  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job
Posts: 374
Default

I think FOs only get Billings and just TDY to other Montana bases as needed.
tlove482 is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 10:45 AM
  #1234  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: May 2015
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by robthree View Post
Lines are generally NOT commutable. You're home every night, which is great, but you have to live in base. ALB is the exception, 9 of the 11 lines there are built for commuters, 4 on - 5 off, hotels provided in the outstations. BOS also has a few lines like that, but they go very senior.

Base pay is about 31k. With additional pay for overtime, Caribbean override, season completion bonus, profit sharing... 40k is within easy reach, more if you go for a really high time line - the vacant SLK line pays almost 50 hours a week. 4 on, 3 off - so you know they're all long days, but the overtime adds up quick - if my math is right, about 47k at first year pay.
Hi,
Today is my first day here, dont know much about this forum.
If you could help me answer this question.
I have an FAA Commercial license with Multi engine instrument land.
My current flying experince is about 1900 hours total, out of which
600 on Boeing 737-300
620 on Fokker -27 turbo prop
And rest on Cessna single engine
Where should i apply in US
I am currently outside US and would like to come back and work
Please guide
Regards
Clueless14
clueless14 is offline  
Old 05-25-2015, 06:26 PM
  #1235  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: May 2015
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by clueless14 View Post
Hi,
Today is my first day here, dont know much about this forum.
If you could help me answer this question.
I have an FAA Commercial license with Multi engine instrument land.
My current flying experince is about 1900 hours total, out of which
600 on Boeing 737-300
620 on Fokker -27 turbo prop
And rest on Cessna single engine
Where should i apply in US
I am currently outside US and would like to come back and work
Please guide
Regards
Clueless14
You should probably post a thread about this elsewhere in the forum. This is the Cape Air specific thread so you're not going to get much help here.
cairful is offline  
Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 AM
  #1236  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2014
Posts: 50
Default

Am I right to assume that you can get hired directly as a captain at Cape Air? (You don't have to start as an FO). The reason I ask is I see their pay scale starts at $9.00/duty hr. I just don't see how anyone could possibly live at any of their bases making that amount. Their hour requirements seem steep as well. You could almost go to a regional with what their requiring. Just want some clarification, that's all.

Last edited by CaptUnderhill; 05-28-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: made an addition
CaptUnderhill is offline  
Old 05-29-2015, 05:32 AM
  #1237  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: May 2015
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by CaptUnderhill View Post
Am I right to assume that you can get hired directly as a captain at Cape Air? (You don't have to start as an FO). The reason I ask is I see their pay scale starts at $9.00/duty hr. I just don't see how anyone could possibly live at any of their bases making that amount. Their hour requirements seem steep as well. You could almost go to a regional with what their requiring. Just want some clarification, that's all.
If you qualify for an ATP (not R-ATP) or already have one, you can get hired as captain. If you have 1200 hours you can get hired as PIC which is in between FO and CA pay.

It's not the easiest flying so I feel it's justified. I just spent a winter here and you have to be on top of your game flying in the winter environment. These hour requirements are also regulations of course (need an ATP to be a pax carrying captain at 135 commuter).

Living on FO pay is tough, not going to lie. I would suggest low time people come here not too early so you don't burn out on the low pay.

Now, a new contract is also being worked on and it sounds as if it must be in place by about July... The reason being, Cape Air just bought a seaplane operation in Florida that they must have on the contract by I think end of June. A few interesting things come from this. The seaplane pilots are supposedly getting $55K salary. In order to bring them aboard, pay for all 402 pilots (FO, PIC, CAs) will have to move up (some have said 4 years) and be close to $55K. Also with the lack of pilots, there are tons of incentive days to pick up and things like retention bonuses, shorter duty days, centralized basing, etc being talked about. It's quite an exciting time at Cape Air actually. None of this is official but it is what is being worked on.
cairful is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 09:59 AM
  #1238  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2014
Posts: 50
Default

Originally Posted by cairful View Post
If you qualify for an ATP (not R-ATP) or already have one, you can get hired as captain. If you have 1200 hours you can get hired as PIC which is in between FO and CA pay.

It's not the easiest flying so I feel it's justified. I just spent a winter here and you have to be on top of your game flying in the winter environment. These hour requirements are also regulations of course (need an ATP to be a pax carrying captain at 135 commuter).

Living on FO pay is tough, not going to lie. I would suggest low time people come here not too early so you don't burn out on the low pay.

Now, a new contract is also being worked on and it sounds as if it must be in place by about July... The reason being, Cape Air just bought a seaplane operation in Florida that they must have on the contract by I think end of June. A few interesting things come from this. The seaplane pilots are supposedly getting $55K salary. In order to bring them aboard, pay for all 402 pilots (FO, PIC, CAs) will have to move up (some have said 4 years) and be close to $55K. Also with the lack of pilots, there are tons of incentive days to pick up and things like retention bonuses, shorter duty days, centralized basing, etc being talked about. It's quite an exciting time at Cape Air actually. None of this is official but it is what is being worked on.
Thanks for the info!
CaptUnderhill is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 08:21 PM
  #1239  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: L188
Posts: 959
Default

And what company did they buy in FL? Is it Tropical Airways? They are advertising for Sea Plane Capts and FOs in FL now. That op has a lot of potential. No one decent in the biz since Chalks went away.
Braniff DC8 is offline  
Old 06-05-2015, 08:38 AM
  #1240  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: May 2015
Posts: 11
Default

It's not Tropical. Resorts World Aviation
cairful is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
freightdog
Regional
64
12-03-2009 03:17 PM
1515greenlight
Regional
5
04-08-2009 02:37 PM
cencal83406
Regional
17
02-03-2009 08:19 PM
Ozpilot414
Regional
1
01-05-2009 01:37 PM
zephyr
Part 135
68
09-21-2008 01:03 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread