Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:25 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2015

I would think it would be easy if you wanted it. Most people don't want to go out there just because they aren't from there. Also it's pretty expensive unless you get billings, which you could ask for.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by cairful View Post
I would think it would be easy if you wanted it. Most people don't want to go out there just because they aren't from there. Also it's pretty expensive unless you get billings, which you could ask for.
Thanks. Since I'm originally from Wyoming, something about Montana seems to call my name. It would be superb to get that because of proximity and familiarity but I'm excited to fly anywhere.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

I think FOs only get Billings and just TDY to other Montana bases as needed.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:45 AM
New Hire

Originally Posted by robthree View Post
Lines are generally NOT commutable. You're home every night, which is great, but you have to live in base. ALB is the exception, 9 of the 11 lines there are built for commuters, 4 on - 5 off, hotels provided in the outstations. BOS also has a few lines like that, but they go very senior.

Base pay is about 31k. With additional pay for overtime, Caribbean override, season completion bonus, profit sharing... 40k is within easy reach, more if you go for a really high time line - the vacant SLK line pays almost 50 hours a week. 4 on, 3 off - so you know they're all long days, but the overtime adds up quick - if my math is right, about 47k at first year pay.
Hi,
Today is my first day here, dont know much about this forum.
If you could help me answer this question.
I have an FAA Commercial license with Multi engine instrument land.
My current flying experince is about 1900 hours total, out of which
600 on Boeing 737-300
620 on Fokker -27 turbo prop
And rest on Cessna single engine
Where should i apply in US
I am currently outside US and would like to come back and work
Please guide
Regards
Clueless14
Old 05-25-2015, 05:26 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by clueless14 View Post
Hi,
Today is my first day here, dont know much about this forum.
If you could help me answer this question.
I have an FAA Commercial license with Multi engine instrument land.
My current flying experince is about 1900 hours total, out of which
600 on Boeing 737-300
620 on Fokker -27 turbo prop
And rest on Cessna single engine
Where should i apply in US
I am currently outside US and would like to come back and work
Please guide
Regards
Clueless14
You should probably post a thread about this elsewhere in the forum. This is the Cape Air specific thread so you're not going to get much help here.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Am I right to assume that you can get hired directly as a captain at Cape Air? (You don't have to start as an FO). The reason I ask is I see their pay scale starts at $9.00/duty hr. I just don't see how anyone could possibly live at any of their bases making that amount. Their hour requirements seem steep as well. You could almost go to a regional with what their requiring. Just want some clarification, that's all.

Last edited by CaptUnderhill; 05-28-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: made an addition
Old 05-29-2015, 04:32 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by CaptUnderhill View Post
Am I right to assume that you can get hired directly as a captain at Cape Air? (You don't have to start as an FO). The reason I ask is I see their pay scale starts at $9.00/duty hr. I just don't see how anyone could possibly live at any of their bases making that amount. Their hour requirements seem steep as well. You could almost go to a regional with what their requiring. Just want some clarification, that's all.
If you qualify for an ATP (not R-ATP) or already have one, you can get hired as captain. If you have 1200 hours you can get hired as PIC which is in between FO and CA pay.

It's not the easiest flying so I feel it's justified. I just spent a winter here and you have to be on top of your game flying in the winter environment. These hour requirements are also regulations of course (need an ATP to be a pax carrying captain at 135 commuter).

Living on FO pay is tough, not going to lie. I would suggest low time people come here not too early so you don't burn out on the low pay.

Now, a new contract is also being worked on and it sounds as if it must be in place by about July... The reason being, Cape Air just bought a seaplane operation in Florida that they must have on the contract by I think end of June. A few interesting things come from this. The seaplane pilots are supposedly getting $55K salary. In order to bring them aboard, pay for all 402 pilots (FO, PIC, CAs) will have to move up (some have said 4 years) and be close to $55K. Also with the lack of pilots, there are tons of incentive days to pick up and things like retention bonuses, shorter duty days, centralized basing, etc being talked about. It's quite an exciting time at Cape Air actually. None of this is official but it is what is being worked on.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by cairful View Post
If you qualify for an ATP (not R-ATP) or already have one, you can get hired as captain. If you have 1200 hours you can get hired as PIC which is in between FO and CA pay.

It's not the easiest flying so I feel it's justified. I just spent a winter here and you have to be on top of your game flying in the winter environment. These hour requirements are also regulations of course (need an ATP to be a pax carrying captain at 135 commuter).

Living on FO pay is tough, not going to lie. I would suggest low time people come here not too early so you don't burn out on the low pay.

Now, a new contract is also being worked on and it sounds as if it must be in place by about July... The reason being, Cape Air just bought a seaplane operation in Florida that they must have on the contract by I think end of June. A few interesting things come from this. The seaplane pilots are supposedly getting $55K salary. In order to bring them aboard, pay for all 402 pilots (FO, PIC, CAs) will have to move up (some have said 4 years) and be close to $55K. Also with the lack of pilots, there are tons of incentive days to pick up and things like retention bonuses, shorter duty days, centralized basing, etc being talked about. It's quite an exciting time at Cape Air actually. None of this is official but it is what is being worked on.
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: L188

And what company did they buy in FL? Is it Tropical Airways? They are advertising for Sea Plane Capts and FOs in FL now. That op has a lot of potential. No one decent in the biz since Chalks went away.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:38 AM
On Reserve

It's not Tropical. Resorts World Aviation