Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Old 02-25-2018, 01:12 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2017
Default FO base

As a new hire FO where can you expect to be sent? Obviously not the Caribbean, I read above Montana uses them.

How hard would BOS be to get out of training?
Old 02-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

I have to friends, last 2 classes, and both were assigned Decatur. One of them clearly stated that he wanted to stay in Boston for family reasons.
I think transfers are quite doable after a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-25-2018, 04:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by Secludedsand View Post
As a new hire FO where can you expect to be sent? Obviously not the Caribbean, I read above Montana uses them.

How hard would BOS be to get out of training?
I’m finishing training this week as an FO, I wanted BOS but got Augusta. Boston seems to be pretty tough right out of training but after a couple months most people seem to transfer into there.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:33 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Does anyone know how the flying is in the Midwest region? Is it roughly 100 hrs per month as it is in BIL and elsewhere? I'll be going to class as an FO in late May and would prefer to come back to the Midwest unless I wouldn't be able to get flight time. Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by tlove482 View Post
Don't need much to fly between Hyannis and Nantucket all day. It's a 15 minute flight at most. Most of the other regions have 430s. I can see an efb being more of a hassle in an operation like that.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Well... the average leg in the system is quite a bit longer. Longest probably are over 90 mins. FOs tend to go to EAS areas, which means longer legs to build time.

While there is VFR flying, a lot of it is IFR. Longer term a replacement plane is on order with deliveries later in the year (you can google the news stories) but for now, I believe all planes have one or two 430s, autopilot and many have ADS-B.

BT
Old 03-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...nam-transition
Old 03-10-2018, 11:53 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2018

I have one concern about Cape Air - the promisorry note.

I am fully aware the pay at Cape isn’t that great; no regional pays well. However I am concerned with the organization requiring you to sign a promisorry note holding you liable for the $35,000 training costs. The terms of the contract state that that you are liable to repay that should you quit or have your employment terminated with cause prior to completing one year as a captain with Cape Air. Those are pretty high stakes considering the organization has, I think, a 50% wash out rates for new first officers. Fail checkrides or in some other manner disappoint the firm you’re now liable for a lot of money. I also worry about the company delaying your upgrade to captain for asinine reasons so they can keep you tethered there. Do we have any Cape employees who can comment on this?
Old 03-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by SWLogic View Post

I am fully aware the pay at Cape isn’t that great; no regional pays well. However I am concerned with the organization requiring you to sign a promisorry note holding you liable for the $35,000 training costs. The terms of the contract state that that you are liable to repay that should you quit or have your employment terminated with cause prior to completing one year as a captain with Cape Air. Those are pretty high stakes considering the organization has, I think, a 50% wash out rates for new first officers. Fail checkrides or in some other manner disappoint the firm you’re now liable for a lot of money. I also worry about the company delaying your upgrade to captain for asinine reasons so they can keep you tethered there. Do we have any Cape employees who can comment on this?
The typical cocky wet commercial/CFI's without discipline are the ones that fail.

Like I wrote before, they are not there to fail you.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by SWLogic View Post

About the pay at Cape Air, please note that it is by the duty hour and not the flight hour. As a new FO you see $11/hr but most lines are built to 45 hours a week and some upwards of 52 hours a week. Anything over 40 is paid at time and a half. As an FO it is a 4 day on 4 day off schedule giving you a lot more time off than the typical CFI working 6-7 days a week. You are also building 100ish hours a month, alot faster than most CFI's (depending on location) making the upgrade to captain much faster. The average first year captain makes about 80K when overtime and the incentive programs are factored in.

F50Driver summed up the training pretty well, come in with an open mind and study at nights rather than going out partying and drinking and you will do just fine.

Cape Air doesn't need SICs, they hire SICs as a way of guaranteeing a captain in the future, they want you to upgrade ASAP!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:13 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2018

I’m not sure I see how a first year captain with Cape Air can earn that kind of money. Assuming you upgrade to captain in one year, the pay is still $18.67/duty hour. On a 40 hour work week, that’s $38,833 annually. So this means - and I’m assuming here - that captains are working 60 or so duty hours a week plus some sort of incentive pay to make anywhere near 80k/year. Is that correct?