Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 08:45 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by LanderHil View Post
I would like to know how the interview goes, I am working on CFI now, and have around 25 multi, and 290TT. Have been giving serious thought about Cape Air after I get another 200+ hours.
Sure, I just got done with my interview so I'll do it while it's fresh. Really was just the standard interview. Asked about my background, walk through my resume, why I want to work for Cape Air. After that, it was a couple HR questions. Name a time you went above and beyond or outside of your work description, and name a time you dealt with an unhappy customer/coworker. Technical was name a time you made a PIC decision in regards to an emergency, memory items for an engine failure after takeoff in a twin and explain how a turbocharger works.

After that it was basically him explaining the training contract (basically a 2-3 year commitment after it's all said and done, with my current total time), asking if I was willing to relocate and then he turned it over to me for questions. Should hear back by end of next week.

If anyone else has interviewed recently and is thinking of accepting, send me a PM
Old 09-05-2019, 06:31 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Default Getting Hired by Cape Air

Does anyone know the trick to getting hired by Cape Air? They constantly advertise that they need pilots and are hiring. I was interviewed for a First Officer role, and the interviewer seemed totally impressed by me in the interview. However, despite exceeding all the minimum requirements (I am almost at 135 IFR PIC minimums), I was not offered the job. Are they only hiring kids in all their different Gateway programs?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by jonflys View Post
Does anyone know the trick to getting hired by Cape Air? They constantly advertise that they need pilots and are hiring. I was interviewed for a First Officer role, and the interviewer seemed totally impressed by me in the interview. However, despite exceeding all the minimum requirements (I am almost at 135 IFR PIC minimums), I was not offered the job. Are they only hiring kids in all their different Gateway programs?
When did you interview?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:17 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017

We indeed need pilots.
I'm curious to know what were the questions and how did you answer them. They do not hire kids from the gateway program, they have a lot new hires off the street FO, PIC or Capt minimum.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:06 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Default Getting Hired at Cape Air

Originally Posted by aznpilot87 View Post
We indeed need pilots. I'm curious to know what were the questions and how did you answer them. They do not hire kids from the gateway program, they have a lot new hires off the street FO, PIC or Capt minimum.
It doesn't seem like it. I was interviewed in August by a person that ISN'T a pilot with Cape Air...they're in HR. The questions I was asked were very basic. The hardest question was how to handle an engine failure which I can recite in my sleep.

Based on the FO qualifications on the Cape Air web site, on the date of my interview:
I exceeded the Total Time by 600 hours!
I exceeded the XC time by 529 hours!
I exceeded the Night time by 34.5 hours!
I exceeded the Instrument time by 87.2 hours!
I exceeded the Multi time by 2.7 hours!

Right now, I am 83.4 hours Total Time and 24.5 hours Night time short of 135 IFR PIC minimums. I also have a SES rating, and Cape Air just bought a seaplane company. But, I am over the age of 40 and don't have a bachelor degree from an AABI school (since AABI wasn't founded until 2002) which is a preferred requirement...I have a bachelor degree, just not AABI accredited...and an aviation graduate degree. So, what's the problem?
Old 09-09-2019, 11:11 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018

thinking off applying to cape. I live in Kirksville and would like to stay here. I have kids in school and wife has great job. What are the odds of getting this base right away? FYI I have over 3000 hours TT, no atp
Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

It doesn't seem like it. I was interviewed in August by a person that ISN'T a pilot with Cape Air...they're in HR. The questions I was asked were very basic. The hardest question was how to handle an engine failure which I can recite in my sleep.

Based on the FO qualifications on the Cape Air web site, on the date of my interview:

I exceeded the Total Time by 600 hours!

I exceeded the XC time by 529 hours!

I exceeded the Night time by 34.5 hours!

I exceeded the Instrument time by 87.2 hours!

I exceeded the Multi time by 2.7 hours!

Right now, I am 83.4 hours Total Time and 24.5 hours Night time short of 135 IFR PIC minimums. I also have a SES rating, and Cape Air just bought a seaplane company. But, I am over the age of 40 and don't have a bachelor degree from an AABI school (since AABI wasn't founded until 2002) which is a preferred requirement...I have a bachelor degree, just not AABI accredited...and an aviation graduate degree. So, what's the problem?
It could be your age. The pilot group was pretty young when I was there. Also, there is a lot of moving around with bids coming every 6 months so having a family could complicate things.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by tlove482 View Post
It could be your age. The pilot group was pretty young when I was there. Also, there is a lot of moving around with bids coming every 6 months so having a family could complicate things.

Nah, this company is very very open minded in its hiring, and age surely isn’t a factor, we have pilots from 20-75 or so. Many middle aged hires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 01:32 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by tlove482 View Post

But at some point is it possible to hold a base, or does it always change?
Old 09-10-2019, 01:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by LanderHil View Post
But at some point is it possible to hold a base, or does it always change?

We have a concept of a primary. If you’re awarded a base as your primary, then generally you can’t be displaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk