Default Pros and acons

cons: Cape Air just went off a runway last week

Originally Posted by b3181981 View Post
RTFF go!

Filler
Old 09-13-2021, 08:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Many people have left as of recently. The industry is good no doubt, but there are a lot of issues with this company. I was excited to get on with Cape Air but many of us left or are leaving because we were bait n switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2021, 09:12 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by dapuckstopper15 View Post
Many people have left as of recently. The industry is good no doubt, but there are a lot of issues with this company. I was excited to get on with Cape Air but many of us left or are leaving because we were bait n switched.

Could you elaborate on the bait and switch?
Old 09-13-2021, 09:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Broccoli Rob View Post
Could you elaborate on the bait and switch?

I won’t elaborate on a public forum. There are great guys there that are there because it works out for their family situation. It’s not the worst opportunity for people with super low time but if you’re at or near 135 capt mins, go elsewhere and thank me later.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:03 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2021

I won’t elaborate on a public forum. There are great guys there that are there because it works out for their family situation. It’s not the worst opportunity for people with super low time but if you’re at or near 135 capt mins, go elsewhere and thank me later.

Don't disagree with anything dapuckstopper is saying. Biggest issues would be basing and time of training IMO. If you are a new hire here training could easily take 3-4 months. A lot of senior guys have left (most to Spirit). However, the basing problem will continue to be Capes biggest issue along with base pay. Every base except Billings you are "home each night" which is great if you live there but for a lot of us that means another rent for a crashpad in that base. An many places there is not a lot or sketchy housing options (kirksville, Manistee ect...) and almost all of these places the only air service is Cape. Again, I don't think a bad company but you 100% need to know what you are getting into. If you have 800 or so hours stick with instructing or look for other 135 outlets. The 4 on 4 off schedule is the nicest thing about Cape but you will only find that in the outstations. 12-13 hour duty days single pilot IFR through tough conditions at times in a 40 year old airplane is a lot. The rep in the industry of Cape is good but that's a lot of time to commit. Grass is always greener. The healthcare is very good here though if that is something important to you.

Hope this is helpful

Last edited by Mandalorian; 09-13-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I will say 3-4 months in training will be for initial. Expect another 2-3 months if you have to go to the Tecnam. During initial training, there is no per diem. You are HYA based until you complete training (which is not cool). The most frustrating part about the training footprint is that you could go almost a week without touching an airplane. None of this is at no fault of the training department because they are being forced to push too many people through training. Cape Air trains you to be very safe and I believe their most recent incidents and accidents are anomalies. I wish Cape Air would have worked out for me but at the end of the day, it costs me more to provide for my family than I made at Cape Air. Management has a lot to work on. They're hurting for pilots pretty badly and the easy way to fix that would be to pay their pilots more. They know that but they won't do it.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:16 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2021
Position: EMB-505 PIC
Default Greeting

Could you possibly give me some information on Cape Air Gray Gull program? Can you be a Union member as a Gray Gull? Is there a good working relationship between part time and full time pilots? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2021, 04:32 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2021
Position: Nunya Business

Sorry if this was recently answered but I didn't see it...What are the junior bases and how would commuting be at cape air? I'm currently instructing and building hours, but approaching the minimums and am exploring my options. However I live down south and would be unable to relocate anytime in the near future. TIA.