Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: yes

Originally Posted by outaluckagain View Post
I was out of flying as a full time pilot for a while so I wanted to spend some time as an FO at Cape. This would be a move on my part top get my skills back up to speed before upgrading to Captain. I am not one to think that just having ATP mins is enough to qualify me to start as a Captain. I got all of my experience as a CFI flying the pattern, if you get my drift. The time as an FO would be valuable.

The pay would not be an issue since the time spent as an FO would only be a couple months at most.

Anyway, I don't think I would want to get in a C402 and fly as Captain right off the bat like that.

You seem fairly certain that having ATP mins would cut it to start as a Captain at Cape. Have many pilots done this? Might these actually be people who have previous 135 time at a company like Air Net?
Most pilots that have the time upgrade right away. Given your circumstances of just getting back into things, your concern is valid. It's a tough job when you have recency, and for those who don't, the training outcome is often times bleak. If this is a legitimate concern for you, then you have to talk to the recruiter / training. We are having a tough time getting qualified pilots, so it may be in their best interest to let you fly right seat for a bit rather than turn you away altogether. The ball may just be in your court right now since we are having the same staffing issues as pretty much every other regional out there.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: retired

Outa, valid concerns on your part I wish you luck. If your skills were rusty they won't be after flying around single pilot IFR in a 402.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by 9kBud View Post
Most pilots that have the time upgrade right away. Given your circumstances of just getting back into things, your concern is valid. It's a tough job when you have recency, and for those who don't, the training outcome is often times bleak. If this is a legitimate concern for you, then you have to talk to the recruiter / training. We are having a tough time getting qualified pilots, so it may be in their best interest to let you fly right seat for a bit rather than turn you away altogether. The ball may just be in your court right now since we are having the same staffing issues as pretty much every other regional out there.
That is what I was hoping for. That right seat time is important and I would prefer to fly as an FO before taking passengers by myself.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by outaluckagain View Post
This is very incitefull! I see you must have been thinking the same thing at one point in your career. Maybe it is a natural inclination for a CFI to feel he needs to start as an FO.

So, you are telling me the training is adequate enough to bring a CFI up to speed that fast? You obviously were successful at this. Were you a previous CFI or did you have previous 135 experience?
I was a Cfi new to commercial aviation- i didnt know ****
It was a steep learning curve and it kicked my *** but when theyre through with you and youve done your ioe, You are ready to learn how to fly the plane and system. Good luck- youll do well.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: B737 /FO

How are Cape pilots doing on the job front? There is a great deal of love for turbine time. But generally, Cape Air pilots build a lot of PIC time and work for a decent company. When people ask me about places to apply, I try to get them to consider Cape Air. But I want to make sure they have a decent career path.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Jets and Props

Originally Posted by SebastianDesoto View Post
How are Cape pilots doing on the job front? There is a great deal of love for turbine time. But generally, Cape Air pilots build a lot of PIC time and work for a decent company. When people ask me about places to apply, I try to get them to consider Cape Air. But I want to make sure they have a decent career path.
I went straight from Cape Air to a BeechJet, 1 year later and I'm over to the left seat. Another guy did the same but changed companies and is now flying a Lear 60. If you're not looking for an airline career, Cape Air is a great place to get the stick and customer service skills the corporate and charter companies seek.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006

Does anyone at cape know if we have to wait three months to non rev on jetblue?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: yes

Originally Posted by cubbies4life View Post
I went straight from Cape Air to a BeechJet, 1 year later and I'm over to the left seat. Another guy did the same but changed companies and is now flying a Lear 60. If you're not looking for an airline career, Cape Air is a great place to get the stick and customer service skills the corporate and charter companies seek.
Originally Posted by buffalopilot View Post
There isn't any three month wait time that I'm aware of. Cubbies, from the guy that took your crashpad room, how are things going with your current job? Same goes to you buffalopilot
Old 02-01-2014, 03:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Slightly less broke side of RJ

Originally Posted by buffalopilot View Post
3 month wait for family/non-crew non revs i believe. Crew can list as soon as they pass their 135 ride.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Got my interview date set. Really excited! Any tips for hotels, restaurants etc? Im goin across the country for the interview and doesnt look like it will be possible to make it there and back in one day, especially since I got 3 hours of driving on both ends of trip. The embassy suites is 200$ a night normal rate. Not sure if there is a special rate or not yet. Would consider others nearby for the night.
Also, any idea how long the whole process is? Trying to find a departure from BOS that could help me avoid a hotel fees.