Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Old 01-03-2019, 07:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2018
Position: Airline Employee

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post
What type of simulator are they using? How many hours do they train in the simulator?
Unfortunately that sim’s kind of a joke. It’s one of those red bird sims that doesn’t move, has 0 terrain or buildings, and feels super numb. Great for practicing flows and emergency/instrument procedures, but not sure how it’s all that practical for learning the actual airplane. I guess the cargo door gimmick is realistic, anyway...

Originally Posted by MadDogSurvivor View Post
So the consensus seems to be that Boston is senior-ish as a base... What about the other southern N.E. bases like Hyannis, Provincetown and New Bedford? Are there FO positions there? For that matter, is there a comprehensive list of bases where FOs are assigned?
Been out of the 9K game for a bit, but I assume this still holds true: HYA, PVC, and EWB are very senior, except for PIC cargo guys in Hyannis. Junior bases in the NE are places like Rutland and Saranac. Here’s a quick list of bases in the Northeast off the top of my head:

MVY EWB HYA PVC BOS OGS SLK RUT LEB AUG RKD BHB

Where you go as an FO (or a CA, for that matter) is almost entirely based on luck, like much of this industry. While the guy with the September class may only have BIL as an option, the winter guys might have the whole Northeast open to them. It’s just right place, right time, and hoping you catch the wave of upgrades/jetblue flows just right as they vacate more desirable stations.

Last edited by IAFDOF; 01-03-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

You’re a little out of date. It’s a level six frasca built in an actual 402 cockpit. It’s incredibly useful and even usable for portions of checkrides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by IAFDOF View Post
It’s just right place, right time, and hoping you catch the wave of upgrades/jetblue flows just right as they vacate more desirable stations.
Any idea how many pilots “flow” to JB? Website makes it sound like you have to enroll as an aviation student and still interview with JB. Regular line pilots have any options?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by BravoTango View Post
You’re a little out of date. It’s a level six frasca built in an actual 402 cockpit. It’s incredibly useful and even usable for portions of checkrides.

Frasca’s what I meant, not redbird. It’s useful, of course, but I was shocked when they replaced checkride stuff with it. It has absolutely zero feedback and always struck me as basically a glorified procedures trainer.

Originally Posted by TeamSasquatch View Post
Any idea how many pilots “flow” to JB? Website makes it sound like you have to enroll as an aviation student and still interview with JB. Regular line pilots have any options?
You have to sign up for the gateway program in college. Line pilots have no such option. I hear Spirit’s a thing now, though?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by IAFDOF View Post
Frasca’s what I meant, not redbird. It’s useful, of course, but I was shocked when they replaced checkride stuff with it. It has absolutely zero feedback and always struck me as basically a glorified procedures trainer.

You have to sign up for the gateway program in college. Line pilots have no such option. I hear Spirit’s a thing now, though?
Thanks for fast reply. I’ve wondered what the long term staffing plan looks like for Cape Air and even piston feeder cargo. Likely has a lot to do with these types of programs.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for fast reply. I’ve wondered what the long term staffing plan looks like for Cape Air and even piston feeder cargo. Likely has a lot to do with these types of programs.
It absolutely does. Unfortunately the exodus of FO’s prior to 1500 hours really soured 9K on the whole idea of even hiring street SIC’s, I think. I don’t blame the guys for leaving, per se, but they really damaged that opportunity for the people behind them.

University programs that feed people from CFI to right seat to left seat to places like jetBlue will absolutely help sustain 9K, because they simply can’t compete otherwise. 135 piston time basically descreases in value after a point, so unless you have a (more or less) guaranteed move to a major, it doesn’t behoove you to stay more than a year as a CA, unless you’re a townie.

That said, I’d always recommend 9K. You’ll walk away with a PILE of interview stories, you’ll never be a better pilot, and you’ll make lifelong friends. Just do your year and move on! Plus, like I said, I hear Spirit’s an option for regular line guys now, if that’s your bag.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Doesn’t sound like you’re talking about the same sim. This one is only I believe around 2 years old. Built a whole new section of the building for it...

Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by BravoTango View Post
Doesn’t sound like you’re talking about the same sim. This one is only I believe around 2 years old. Built a whole new section of the building for it...

Hmm, well, last I was in there was probably 2016, so it’d have to be newer than that. We had the 402 cockpit section (formerly a Gulfstream airlines airplane, I believe), painted black, with the 3 projectors above it. The graphics were pretty uninpressive

Last edited by IAFDOF; 01-03-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Line Holder

I was told there is a flow for the regular line pilots, its a little more of a commitment though. 2,000hrs PIC time after you upgrade to captain and then you need to go to another 121 carrier (most likely a regional) for another two years.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:02 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

I’m curious as well. How many Cape Air Captains “flow” to Jet Blue per month? Per year? Total?
Thanks, CD9