Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape air studies replacement for 402's

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: PA-44 Left Seat :P

Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop View Post
The problem with Cessna building twins is the cost. A G1000 equipped Baron runs about 1.2 million new. How much would a new 402 run?
Good point but if Cape Air came up with a good price for a bulk order Cessna could just take the old plans and re construct the plane with the same materials and it does not have to contain G1000 avionics. I think Cape Air just wants new planes as in, new materials holding the plane together, not necessarily new cockpit etc. This has never been done as far as I know, but if cape air where to pay upfront I think Cessna could consider it. After all, they wouldn't have to put anything into engineering since the plane is already engineered. Just take a few factory workers and put some together like the old days. At least that is how I see it.

Now if Douglas (Boeing?) put the DC3 back in production, that would be something. There might even be a couple of PBA guys on property that remember how to fly it.

I miss the sound of radials flying around the Cape! The hell with the cost!
Anyone can dream.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by SVA402 View Post
Cape Air's 402 operation IS 135. Now, many will disagree with me but as a pilot i'd rather fly a 402 than a caravan any day(having flown both). Regardless of what anyone says about PT-6 reliability, there's still one engine there. If something goes wrong, you're probably dead. Honestly the best option I could think of is to talk to Cessna or Piper about building a new replacement aircraft, or maybe even new production 402s. An order for more than 50 should be enough for them to consider it at least. Of course, you might have trouble convincing Cessna to build new ones without fancy avionics and such...
Didn't a Cape pilot recently land a 402 without either engine? Just because there's one engine doesn't mean you're dead if it goes. That's where your glider skills come in to play. I don't know the statistics, but I have rarely heard of a Caravan going engine out with bad results. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390

Im affraid Cessna's piston twin days are over. Flight Safety had a Cessna ad where Jack Pelton said something about "Back in the piston twin days.....".

Understand now, I am a fan of Cessna twins, and the 310R will forever be one of my favorite airplanes.

Originally Posted by F172Driver View Post
The cost of a new airplane is gonna be expensive, im betting somewhere around the 1 million dollar mark. Im guessing by talking to the manufacturers that they are trying to get a new airplane. So if Cessna were to start reproducing the 402, maybe keep it right around a million, then I think Cape Air would bite..
Sorry F172, a new Baron goes for over a million, so a 400 series Cessna twin would have to go for signifigantly more.

Check out these examples from the mid 1980s 414s and 421.---they are over half a mil used. The newest 402s had no listed price, so I didn't put any here.

1985 CESSNA 414A RAM For Sale At Controller.com

1982 CESSNA 414A RAM For Sale At Controller.com

1984 CESSNA 421C RAM For Sale At Controller.com
Old 05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390

Originally Posted by HectorD View Post
Good point but if Cape Air came up with a good price for a bulk order Cessna could just take the old plans and re construct the plane with the same materials and it does not have to contain G1000 avionics.
Cessna would probably have to make required regulatory changes to the design that occured from the original type certificate. Avionics is not the issue. Garmin 1000 equipment is cheaper for Cessna to buy than steam gauge packages now. That is why there is no steam gauge option for the 172
if cape air where to pay upfront I think Cessna could consider it.
If Cessna would consider it, would Cape Air buy enough airplanes to make the unit cost acceptable. What about parts? Would Cessna have to bear the expense of supporting these few aircraft for their life-cycle.

After all, they wouldn't have to put anything into engineering since the plane is already engineered. Just take a few factory workers and put some together like the old days. At least that is how I see it.
Most likely, there have been changes to regulations for production aircraft since the last 402 was built. Cessna would have to, or legally want to, engineer changes to comply. As far as actually making the airplanes, it would take a dedicated production line, not just a few factory workers.

Hector, Im not busting your chops, believe me. Im an ex C310/340/421 driver. I just think Cessna can't wait to get out from under the expense of supporting the piston twins that are already out there. They would be much more content for you to buy a new Mustang. Which, if they would have asked me, would have been called the 310Jet, 310 S, or Jet Eagle, (nod to 421 Golden Eagle).
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

I've heard the F406 rumor more than once (not that that holds any water!). The additional cost may be offset by the fact that it carries 13 passengers vs. 9, and the PT6s would probably cost less in maintenance than the TSIO-520s. Then again, as miller said, 180pph in cruise is tough to beat...
Old 05-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: C402, on the side with the switches!

I was told that Cape Air wants to stay away from turbines. From what I understand, turbine engines are overhauled every so many cycles, as opposed to pistons which are overhauled every so many hours. The short flights would be a killer.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: retired

Go for the Beech 1900D reliable workhorse.

Cut your frequency in half.

Fire half the pilots.

Pay the remaining half 50% less.

Or,

buy one BAE 146 Jet.

fire all but 6 pilots.

tell your customers that you only fly once a day between Worchester, MA and Nantucket, and to "swim or rent a boat if you want to go to those other islands."
Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: -800

Okay Guys here is what i heard.
-NO single engine
-NO turboprops for 135

So what will the replacement be...? Beats me!!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by TurboDVR42 View Post
Okay Guys here is what i heard.
-NO single engine
-NO turboprops for 135

So what will the replacement be...? Beats me!!
What about a Twin Star?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: PA-44 Left Seat :P

Originally Posted by INTERNET PILOT View Post
What about a Twin Star?
uhm, no.

Go for the Beech 1900D reliable workhorse.

Cut your frequency in half.

Fire half the pilots.

Pay the remaining half 50% less.

Or,

buy one BAE 146 Jet.

fire all but 6 pilots.

tell your customers that you only fly once a day between Worchester, MA and Nantucket, and to "swim or rent a boat if you want to go to those other islands."
Only issue with that is most Cape Air flights, at least down here in the Caribbean are almost never full. A flight I went to there where only two people in the plane excluding the pilot. Economically speaking, operating a C402 could handle not being full of paying costumers, a jet or 1900 could not. This would mean making less flights.