Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Has this ever happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 747 Captain (Ret,)
Originally Posted by SecondLife View Post
I don't fly 135 (yet) but have my own airplane and sometimes fly in poor weather to maintain my instrument currency. Last Oct I went up on a day much like you describe - rain, mist, 800 ft ceiling plus a 60 kt wind at 3000 ft. Bumpy ride.

I was up at Frederick, MD shooting the ILS. Inside the OM on glideslope but the loc shows me drifting to the left. I turn to the right. Knowing that the wind is from the right this makes sense. However the loc needle shows me going faster to the left. I turn more to the right. Not long after the needle goes to full deflection and I execute a missed. This made no sense to me. It was almost like the needle had reverse sensing.

I went around and shot the approach again without a problem. When I got home I looked at my course on Flight Aware and it showed me right of the localizer turning right. I still have no idea what happened but it troubles me to this day.
What you are describing sounds like you had the back course dialed into your HSI. This would have given you reverse sensing. If you don't have an HSI, then I don't have a clue.

Joe
Old 05-29-2009, 02:08 AM
alchemist

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by chongololo View Post

It was 4am, raining, mist and ceilings at around 800ft. The conditions weren't great but that's no excuse for my terrible perfomance.
Maybe the problem was the fact it was 4 in the morning, a bit tired maybe?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Captain G1 & EMB120

I call those days Monday.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DA50EX

At least you realized it was a crappy approach. The guys who scare me are the ones who fly like that all the time and think they are doing great cause they found the runway.

We all have our off days/weeks/months; learn from it and try not to let it bug you too much cause its going to happen again at some point.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Never happened to me lol
Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by FlyingChipmunk View Post
At least you realized it was a crappy approach. The guys who scare me are the ones who fly like that all the time and think they are doing great cause they found the runway.

We all have our off days/weeks/months; learn from it and try not to let it bug you too much cause its going to happen again at some point.
^ What he said. Happens to everyone!

It's an experience builder that you'll learn from. I bet next time you go back up there you'll keep this little event in the back of your mind and nip it in the bud before it happens again. Hell, in the past few weeks I've had more than one of those "Huh...I'll do that differently next time" moments as I've been learning a new area of the country.

Just keep learning...
Old 06-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Smile Learning never stops

and neither does the relearning, you will be surprised how many times you to get to learn the same lesson. Relax and try your best next time.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Works harder not smarter

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: A320 CA

You're in good company. Stay sharp and keep practicing. If you're rusty, request the loc, vor, gps, etc for practice. Will only add a couple minutes to your flight.

For some reason, I used to have a verticle speed issue while shooting a non pre approach. I would cross the OM and start down, yet while doing my scan I would come back to the VSI, noticing that I wasn't holding the 1500fpm needed to get me down to MDA. This would happen time and time again until one day it finally 'stuck'.

You talk about salvaging an approach. Flying single pilot, I have had my fair share. I miss flying solo, yet know it now to be safer with a two man crew.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Thanks again folks, all very valid points and well taken.
I feel better about it as time passes and I make an effort to change the way I do things.
Safe flying up there guys.