Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Listings? Directory?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:46 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Knows just enough to be dangerous
Default Listings? Directory?

I hope I have not overlooked some obvious source for this info, but I am seeking a sort of comprehensive directory or listing of Part 135 operators.

When I am qualified, I would like to throw my hat in the ring of potential employers. I have no preference in location, so I thought that a list of contacts everywhere would help in my search. I add to my list as I run across various links & info, but I am positive there are plenty that I don't see or even think of.

Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

The "World Aviation Directory" use to be a good guide but I think many 135 outfits do not register.

I would call the FSDO's in the areas you are interested in and ask to speak to a Part 135 inspector as they know of all the 135 ops in their area.

You would think there would be an FAA website of that info.

I got into 135 by working at a flight school that had a charter department of Barons, Cheiftians, Lears 23/24/25 and a Hawker 125-700. After 18 months in the flight school I went to the charter department. I got to fly all of the aircraft. Back then they called personal connections, nowadays it's called networking. The charter department had a stack of resumes 8 inches high. Because they saw my face almost every day and I found out later they asked co-workers and supervisors many probing questions about my work habits, attentiion to detail, personality. Also, have a presentable professinal appearence. If a chief pilot invites you out for dinner do not order an alcoholic beverage, unless they order one first and only have one drink. If they are hiring for say an SIC position don't talk about going into management, stay within the job area.

Hope that helps out.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:35 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by AirbusA320 View Post
The "World Aviation Directory" use to be a good guide but I think many 135 outfits do not register.

I would call the FSDO's in the areas you are interested in and ask to speak to a Part 135 inspector as they know of all the 135 ops in their area.

You would think there would be an FAA website of that info.

I got into 135 by working at a flight school that had a charter department of Barons, Cheiftians, Lears 23/24/25 and a Hawker 125-700. After 18 months in the flight school I went to the charter department. I got to fly all of the aircraft. Back then they called personal connections, nowadays it's called networking. The charter department had a stack of resumes 8 inches high. Because they saw my face almost every day and I found out later they asked co-workers and supervisors many probing questions about my work habits, attentiion to detail, personality. Also, have a presentable professional appearence. If a chief pilot invites you out for dinner do not order an alcoholic beverage, unless they order one first and only have one drink. If they are hiring for say an SIC position don't talk about going into management, stay within the job area.

Hope that helps out.
Ah, so I did overlook a source of info, The World Aviation Directory. I will get one. I do see a Part 135 Air Carrier Operations Branch on the FAA site, but not individual listings. I'll contact someone there and look around some more.

With my current employer, I do "loiter" and get some time at the training center in the fixed and motion sims. It's not time I can actually log right now but it's still some good stuff to try (just last week I found myself literally having to remind myself to breathe when getting to practice an approach in a -700 sim. I was beyond nervous and it was just the FTD). Sometimes I stand outside the classrooms and listen before the instructor starts giving me the *** look.

There is one freight dog operator here that I have gone out with for the day, but I don't want to ask them too much. I'll check out others.

Thanks so much for the tips, Airbus!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

The FAA website has a searchable directory of all 121 and 135 air carriers. You can also use the ARG/US website to do a search of carriers: http://www.aviationresearch.com/CHEQ.../op_search.asp
Old 05-24-2009, 07:55 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by FlyerJosh View Post
The FAA website has a searchable directory of all 121 and 135 air carriers. You can also use the ARG/US website to do a search of carriers: http://www.aviationresearch.com/CHEQ.../op_search.asp
Great!

Thanks, Josh.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Check out Air Charter Guide

It is not a complete listing, but something to start with anyway.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
Check out Air Charter Guide

It is not a complete listing, but something to start with anyway.
More good stuff. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008

aircharterguide.com
charterhub.com
charterx.com

That should be your best bet for directories.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

My best advice would be to get on with a freight company when you meet their requirements. This will allow you to use the same FBO's that charter and 91 operators use. The rest is just to network and let yourself be known.