Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Charter Brokers

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by F-90 Driver View Post
Anyone know where you can find that 2006 FAA Memo regarding brokers? I cannot find it anywhere.
I believe this link will lead you to all the answers you seek....

DOT Policy Statement on the Role of Charter Brokers

Air Charter Brokers | NBAA - National Business Aviation Association
Old 06-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned

Also, a wealth of information here from the FAA website regarding Operational Control.

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviat...control_qa.pdf

To address the original question of this link, charter brokering is 100% legal and not at all frowned upon by the FAA. However, there is a legal framework that is taken very seriously concerning who is authorized to actually act and market themselves as an AIR CARRIER.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/BrokerNoticeFinal.pdf
Old 06-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Just a broker now.

Originally Posted by effsharp View Post

It is important to note hear that there is no INDIRECT AIR CARRIER certificate of any kind. The term simply defines a broker.
I'm looking at my company's Indirect Air Carrier certificate right now.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned

Well I'm here to learn as well.

Who issued this certificate? The TSA, as far as I know, are the only entity who require certain documentation from an Indirect Air Carrier for the purposes of security.

The FAA website has no mention of an INDIRECT AIR CARRIER CERTIFICATE.

Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

It's under FAR 109.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:13 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: KingAir Left Seat

I must send my $.02 worth in. I've been a freight dog for over 9 yrs now and I have no problems with brokers, at all. If anything becomes unsafe, it is the pilot who should be piping up. There has been more than a couple of times that I've called the broker back when the freight arrived and said this won't work. I've not gotten more than a small bit of flack from any of the brokers and the one that I got a small bit of flack from couldn't understand why I needed a fuel stop when the other guy didn't. When I explained it to him, and named a few of the consequences including picking up their parts in a debris field, I got no more slack. So let's give the broker a break, they are my bread and butter. It is the airline/pilot who makes it either safe or not safe.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by i121ADX View Post
It's under FAR 109.
FAR 109 is titled Indirect air carrier security. It is the TSA requirment I mentioned... here is a link...

FAR Part 109: Indirect air carrier security -- FAA FARS, 14 CFR

It is misleading to refer to this requirement as an AIR CARRIER CERTIFICATE. You won't find such a term anywhere in the regulation.

The point is, TSA has a mandatory security program, DOT has a Policy Statement... but little more than a computer and cellphone is required to be a charter broker.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Well, here's my final thought on the topic. I've been a broker for four years now and each of the four years I've been doing it I've been dealing with the FAA. The same individual from the Detroit FSDO in fact. When he tells me that he would like to see my program, I will show it to him. The day he tells me that he no longer requires to see my program, I will not show it to him. Now, Detroit is a hot area for brokerage. Maybe your FSDO doesn't require you to visit but when I have an government agency who tells me I can or can't charter aircraft, I'm more obliged to listen to him and do what he says. Obviously I cannot give out advise on this thread without being proved wrong so if you have any questions about brokerage or becomming an Indirect Air Carrier, please contact your local FSDO.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by i121ADX View Post
Well, here's my final thought on the topic. I've been a broker for four years now and each of the four years I've been doing it I've been dealing with the FAA. The same individual from the Detroit FSDO in fact. When he tells me that he would like to see my program, I will show it to him. The day he tells me that he no longer requires to see my program, I will not show it to him. Now, Detroit is a hot area for brokerage. Maybe your FSDO doesn't require you to visit but when I have an government agency who tells me I can or can't charter aircraft, I'm more obliged to listen to him and do what he says. Obviously I cannot give out advise on this thread without being proved wrong so if you have any questions about brokerage or becomming an Indirect Air Carrier, please contact your local FSDO.
Yes, your 'program' ... as opposed to your AIR CARRIER CERTIFICATE. And you are correct.. without this program, you are not legal to resell air transportation.