Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 Insurance Minimums

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Drinkin' coffee...

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: P-p-piiilatusss
Default Part 135 Insurance Minimums

I was talking with a guy today who was looking into getting a Piper Navajo. He was asking me what I thought about putting it on a 135 to keep it flying and maybe defer some of the cost?

I have no experience or much knowledge about 135 insurance. What would an insurance company look for hours as far as total time, multi time and time in type in the Navajo? How much would the policy cost?

I'm just looking for the rough estimate because now this guy has got me curious.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008

I am paying around 14000 for our panther navajo which includes 400k hull insurance 1mill/100,000 liability. I have a pretty good broker if you would like more info on him pm me. A lot of other companies I have talked to are around 15-17k. Time in type is what they really like. I think our open pilot policy is 2000tt 100 in type and I don't remember the multi requirement. The less experience you have the higher the premium and they will probably require some sort of yearly school like flight safety or your 135 training program can suffice if they approve it.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Default Good insurance broker....

If you paid that kind of money to play the game you do not have a good insurance broker. You have a weathy insurance broker who charges you the full allowable fee and gives you no break on his commision. Learn to negotiate or get someone who can.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: FA-20 CA

There are several PA-31 135 operators that can allow pilots to fly at basic 135mins. I'm not sure how things are now but 6 years ago the part 91 insurance mins were higher than 135. Although part 135 was more costly.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Line Holder

I am pretty happy with my rate considering it is lower than any of the folks I have talked to that are operating these airplanes in my area when they are carrying lower hull. What is your experience level/qualification with insurance? What are you basing my lack of negotiation skills when you know nothing about the scope of my company, our pilots, our insurance endorsements etc...
Not sure if you quite understand how it works but there is a little more to your quote than I have a Navajo this how much I should pay.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by Natlaircharters View Post
I am pretty happy with my rate considering it is lower than any of the folks I have talked to that are operating these airplanes in my area when they are carrying lower hull. What is your experience level/qualification with insurance? What are you basing my lack of negotiation skills when you know nothing about the scope of my company, our pilots, our insurance endorsements etc...
Not sure if you quite understand how it works but there is a little more to your quote than I have a Navajo this how much I should pay.
It's the internet, so therefor, by knowing nothing, I know everything!

I thought it was a fairly good open policy IMO, I do know of a Piaggio operator, single-pilot, part 91, pays $18,000/yr for coverage. It started out at $95k until they hired a more qualified pilot
Old 06-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Drinkin' coffee...

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: P-p-piiilatusss

So depending on the situation would Navajo school lower the insurance mins a bit? Or will the mins stay put and the cost will just be a little less? I know two guys that went yearly and I think it was only a week each spring.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by withthatsaid182 View Post
So depending on the situation would Navajo school lower the insurance mins a bit? Or will the mins stay put and the cost will just be a little less? I know two guys that went yearly and I think it was only a week each spring.
Our company has been flying Navajos/Chieftains for so long and so successfully that if we put up a candidate for a checkride with 40 hours of multi time then the insurance company will sign off on it.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by withthatsaid182 View Post
When I first flew in a Navajo I had about 1000hrs TT and I had asked about flying 135 and they wanted the obvious 135 Mins being 1200 TT and an approved school. (FSI, Insurance Approved 135 Training Program etc..) This also gave you the min time in type they required. For 91 I was approved to fly the Navajo with 1000TT School and 10hrs in Type with Instructor.

Schools like FSI can lower both the premium and requirements or depending on your situation may be required to be insured initially. But keep in mind they can cost more than what you will save on the premium, however they are a lot of fun and teach you quite a bit about the airplane. I got FSI to do my initial in 4 days on a condensed schedule recurrent was done in 2 days on a condensed schedule. Although I was not required to do recurrent I chose to do it for myself.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Round Two

Wondering if you folks think I'll have trouble getting insured at just a little over 1500tt and close to 900 multi 300+ of which is in a Saab? Soon to be furloughed and was lining up a navajo maybe a cheyene gig. Would start out as 91 flying the owner around but I'm sure we would like to do some charter work to defer some of the costs.

Also looking at starting pay at 50K, good, bad, fair? I suppose it will depend on how much he has me away from home.