Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 Cargo ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Ameriflight will always be Ameriflight. Back in the 80's early 90's It was all about Banks and flying checks. That was AMF's Cash Crop flying across the country coast to coast. Someone back then said hey wait a min we can do small feeder also. Now that's where there cash crop is. Revenue has totally done a 180 as far as Feeder/banks. By the end of the year you will hardly see any checks as mandated by law. The night routes and freight have deceased substantially. As opposed to DHL/FDX/UPS routes. AMF then ventured in to the Radioactive Material flying (7060 ops)

It seems as soon as AMF loses a route they gain a route Somewhere else.

Airnet's Story was Banks and only banks. They bet the farm on banks. A few years ago they started flying stuff for Nordian (a Radioactive producer) I think they still hold the contract today. The cost to operate a Lear as compared to a metro or a 99 is a no brainier. But Lear's were all Airnet has for long haul trips.

Where AMF succeeds is their reliability. If something breaks they were there with a replacement still making service. I cant say that about the other company's. I have seen other company's charter out there route to AMF because they had no way of recovering.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: autopilot abuser

Thanks for the input everyone!

With 121 ops slashing hours across the board will that help 135 on demand cargo operators since less 121 ops will have cargo in their bellies???
Old 07-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Why is it that people think flying cargo is a bullet proof fall back? "I just got laid off from my job at the regionals so I'm going to go fly cargo" When the industry is hurting typically freight and cargo operators have been hurting long before the airlines. Look at most on demand operators right now, they're hanging on by threads and the business is very week to week..
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by NoBeta View Post
Thanks for the input everyone!

With 121 ops slashing hours across the board will that help 135 on demand cargo operators since less 121 ops will have cargo in their bellies???
Maybe, if they carry USPS in particular.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by JPilot77 View Post
Why is it that people think flying cargo is a bullet proof fall back? "I just got laid off from my job at the regionals so I'm going to go fly cargo" When the industry is hurting typically freight and cargo operators have been hurting long before the airlines. Look at most on demand operators right now, they're hanging on by threads and the business is very week to week..
Hurting long before the airlines? Cargo is always usually the last part of the industry that is affected in a recession. It's almost always 1.) Airlines 2.) Charter 3.) Fractionals 4.) Cargo
No matter if the economy is in a slump or on the rise, in times of peace or war, people will always need to send boxes.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
Hurting long before the airlines? Cargo is always usually the last part of the industry that is affected in a recession. It's almost always 1.) Airlines 2.) Charter 3.) Fractionals 4.) Cargo
No matter if the economy is in a slump or on the rise, in times of peace or war, people will always need to send boxes.
Unless you work for Airborne Express, Astar, Emery, Kittyhawk, Expressone, USAjet....

Don't kid yourself that there aren't a few part 135 operators on the brink of extinction either.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

People always need to send boxes, and it's cheaper on a truck, own nav just touched the tip of the iceberg of freight operators that are struggling, I started flying freight 5 years ago and the industry was in a lot rougher shape than the airlines at that point, all the regionals were hiring like mad, pilots at my old job at that time were flying maybe 25 hours a month, freight hasn't been bounced back since.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: FA-20 CA

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
Unless you work for Airborne Express, Astar, Emery, Kittyhawk, Expressone, USAjet....

Don't kid yourself that there aren't a few part 135 operators on the brink of extinction either.
GrandAire, Alliance, Cherry, Ameristar...
Old 07-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by JPilot77 View Post
People always need to send boxes, and it's cheaper on a truck,
It's not just about boxes and trucks either. Look at how much check hauling business has been lost to electronic imaging. Part 135 companies have taken a big hit with this.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by NoBeta View Post
Hey all... I was curious if anyone could give me some input on how Part 135 cargo ops like Ameriflight actually make there money....I know they fly cargo LOL but I was just wondering how they get paid? I see these guys flying in one after the other in the early evening into KSLC to drop at the UPS feeder network here. I am wondering do they get paid by the pound, by the route??? Any insight would be great. I am just curious how they make there money because I know it costs alot to operate Metros, BE-99's and 1900's.
A lot of it is contract flying that involves repetitive trips over the same route, four or five days a week -- often out from a hub in the morning to deliver cargo to a smaller community that doesn't have enough traffic to support B-757 service, and back to the hub that night. Customers like UPS, FedEx, DHL, various courier companies, some financial institutions, etc., pay the bill.