Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

The Wyvern Standard

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2009
Default The Wyvern Standard

At the recommendation of a friend I submitted for an SIC position with an air ambulance company and noticed in the posting that the pilot must meet Wyvern standards requirements.

Having not heard of these standards I looked them up and this is what I found:
http://www.charterx.com/mediafiles/s...4179577025.pdf

I have been laid off for 10 months. I meet and exceed all of the requirements except the currency requirements. I feel like I keep running into brick walls. Should my being laid off prevent me from getting this job because of currency. All they need to do is send me to a recurrent class. My internal rec. says no. I on the other hand have my doubts. Is this is another obstacle we as pilots have to hurdle? Any thoughts?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Those are some tough currency requirements. In my community it could very hard to meet the yearly flight time requirements! I wonder if these are guidelines or hard and fast rules. Probably insurance driven wouldn't you agree? Good luck!

USMCFLYR
Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

My thought is that the currency requirement would probably apply to an unknown entity. Since you do have an inside person, this should suffice. As always you never know until you try.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

I wouldn't let it discourage you from applying anywhere. In my experience with WyVern though(my company is WyVern rated), companies are pretty strict with the min's. If they have a lot of clients or insurance companies wanting WyVern crews, then they have to provide them. Most places that I have come across won't bend on it. Good luck though; you never know unless you try.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009

So is type King Air...I assume that is what they have?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2009

Originally Posted by dashtrash300 View Post
So is type King Air...I assume that is what they have?
Nope, LR 35...you don't need a type for the King Air.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550

Originally Posted by laluna1223 View Post
I have been laid off for 10 months. I meet and exceed all of the requirements except the currency requirements. I feel like I keep running into brick walls. Should my being laid off prevent me from getting this job because of currency.

Is this is another obstacle we as pilots have to hurdle? Any thoughts?
I'm fortunate enough to still have a job, but that's my biggest fear about the whole furlough scenario, loosing currency..... I can always get a job at Home Depot or maybe drive a Fedex truck just to pay the bills, but loosing currency scares me..

I understand your frustation, don't really know what to tell you
Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009

Originally Posted by BIRDIE View Post
i wonder how easy it would really be to get a job driving for fedex
I apologize if that was asked rhetorically, but I can tell you that getting a job driving for FedEx Express is pretty darn difficult. I am a Material Handler for FDX and know that those positions are pretty rare and hard to come by!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: LR45

My company is also wyvern and argus. If it's not one, it's the other and my place won't bend at all. It's a pain in the butt sometimes and the upgrade mins are a little high in my opinion. It's just there to make the customers feel good but if you are a 1200 hr guy it takes a while to work your way up ( you def don't fly much in the private world)

Numpty
Old 08-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: 320 F.O.
Thumbs up Wyvern

The Wyvern and Argus standards suck but in exchange it assures a recently flown pilot and in this market that is a hard thing for pilots to maintain. On a better note, iT seems as though things are turning around at least for the 135 world in New York, Los Angeles, Texas and Florida. I have seen quite few job postings for pilots in those markets.