Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Freight Runners Info needed. (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/43422-freight-runners-info-needed.html)

johnnysnow 08-29-2009 10:33 AM

Freight Runners Info needed.

Looking for more information about this company, specifically pertaining to their "On-Demand Pilot" position which I assume is their version of reserve.

1) General QOL

2) Approximate number of hours to expect each month and the most common piece of equipment they are flown on.

3) Any lay offs and furloughs in the recent past

4) Quality of maintenance

5) Contract terms and conditions. Pro rated? Amount?

6) Management. Easy to work for vs. make your life miserable?

7) Opportunities for advancement

8) Any other info you feel like offering up.

Please respond honestly and candidly. Any and all information, regardless of its positive or negative nature is greatly appreciated.

Johnnysnow

CaptainTeezy 08-29-2009 03:56 PM

Does anyone know what the interview process is like??? What should I wear if invited to an interview???

HungryPilot 09-01-2009 03:59 PM

Yeah, I would not mind having that info too. I do have a friend who used to work there. I need to hit him up I guess and tell you guys what I find out. My understanding is that on demand guys are on call from 5am to 10 pm M-F with a weekend rotation. Not sure what the call out is though. Where i am now it's 45 minutes and it really blows not having any time off. I think we have more pilots than planes and they still can't find 3 days a month for hard time off. Gets really old. I sure love single pilot cargo though.

i121ADX 09-02-2009 04:32 AM

Aircraft is the Beech 99 and sometime the 1900C.

HungryPilot 09-02-2009 09:44 PM

i would be surprised if i could fly the 1900 as a new hire. That seems like a position for a senior guy to hold on to for dear life.

johnnysnow 09-03-2009 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by HungryPilot (Post 672321)
i would be surprised if i could fly the 1900 as a new hire. That seems like a position for a senior guy to hold on to for dear life.

I think he might be referring to the right seat.

dn_wisconsin 09-03-2009 06:24 AM

There isn't any right seat stuff, except when your in training as ride alongs. Alot of new hires get the 402s but if they have 99 spots open they will hire into those. My buddy is the assistant CP ask away and ill get you the answers. The jobs that are posted sound like MKE based. The monday-friday route sounds like the MKE-RHI and back in the evening. The other is an on call in MKE flying whatever the job or route call for. If i remember correctly the call out is something like 20 minutes and thats wheels up. The interview process used to be pretty simple, go in and meet the cp and if all went well you got the job. i dont know if its changed.

i121ADX 09-03-2009 07:01 AM

For the On Demand stuff it's BE99 and BE1900C. Sometimes I see the C402 but not as much as the other two.

HungryPilot 09-03-2009 06:47 PM

I was told they need one or two on demand pilots and you would fly the King Air 90, BE99, C402, and C207 with some right seat opportunities in the BE200 and maybe a BE350 if they get it. I have returned my questionnaire and Patrick said he would be doing phone interviews up to the 15th or so. Sounds like a tough life. I currently have an on call job that is 6 to 6 M-F but available to be scheduled 24-7. I thought my 45 call out was bad. 20 minutes is ***. Sure wouldn't mind the scheduled runs but the variety of aircraft would be somewhat refreshing. Flew the 207 in western alaska for a while. I'm pretty tired of the single cessnas though between that and the 210's at FLX.

timeless 09-07-2009 05:10 PM

If you've never flown on-demand freight before, give it a try. You'll either love it or hate it. I think I'm in the minority. Auto freight is down now, but it's on the rebound. A few companies are bringing some crews back and putting their crap back in the air. I'm out of that racket now, but I enjoyed it.