Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Navajos to Caravans

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by reserveslob View Post
This is true, but the Turbin' Suburban burns Jet-A which I believe is a little cheaper than 100LL. From what I have heard, the operating cost of the Van is close to that of a Baron per mile and quite a few cents cheaper than the Sloppy Jo. Every bird has its niche. I wouldn't think the caravan will replace the chieftain in all routes but I believe it will work nicely for most routes a chieftain would fly.
I was fed that kool aid as well, but when you get one bag with 20# in the back, adding a cycle and all of that jet fuel to get maybe 175 knots doesn't make sense to me.

-mini
Old 10-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: E-170

Originally Posted by minitour View Post
Eh...the van will definitely carry more stuff/people, but the navajo (or chieftain variant even) has the 2nd engine and burns less fuel.

-mini
Chieftain is faster to.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:49 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: BE-58, Pa-31-350, C-208 PIC

Originally Posted by minitour View Post
I was fed that kool aid as well, but when you get one bag with 20# in the back, adding a cycle and all of that jet fuel to get maybe 175 knots doesn't make sense to me.

-mini
God I love koolaid! I like you said, am just drinking training department koolaid, but do you have cost numbers that support the chief over the van? Would it be better/cheaper to have the 20lb bag in the chief? I am just curious cause I would have thought the chief would be a little cheaper...that is except for a weekly maint. grounding by pilots.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Having flown both for many thousands of hours, I would pick the van every time. Yes, one engine, but how many have gone down because of an engine failure? Very few..
I know of two 'ho's personally that have gone down because of a single engine failure. And guess which engine type is more likely to fail?

Oh, and the heat works better....
Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009

The heater works so well that you might hurt yourself if you turn it on full hot.