Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   choices (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/4476-choices.html)

SlingAir 06-17-2006 08:36 AM

choices

Should I stay or should I go? Current op is air ambulance, 45min callout, 36K-41K salary with OT. Have the opportunity to move to a larger 135 outfit and pay is 32-36K with a 2hour callout and its single pilot.

So im stuck, take a paycut and fly single pilot or stick it out and sit right seat air ambulance? Same equipment, both fly king air 200 and 90. Thanks in advance, all opinions welcomed!

SkyHigh 06-17-2006 09:32 AM

Pic

Originally Posted by SlingAir
Should I stay or should I go? Current op is air ambulance, 45min callout, 36K-41K salary with OT. Have the opportunity to move to a larger 135 outfit and pay is 32-36K with a 2hour callout and its single pilot.

So im stuck, take a paycut and fly single pilot or stick it out and sit right seat air ambulance? Same equipment, both fly king air 200 and 90. Thanks in advance, all opinions welcomed!

Take the PIC job.

SkyHigh

C175 06-17-2006 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SlingAir

What type of equipment on each? What kind of company(i.e. maintenance etc)? Flying 135(esp single pilot)can be bad for ones health, given the wrong operator.

GauleyPilot 06-17-2006 08:07 PM

Can you upgrade to PIC where you are now? If so, how long?

skualo3 06-20-2006 08:04 AM

Neither!
Try to go onto a jet airambulance and upgrade as captain on a multicrew, ideally heavier then 20000 pounds, it might feel like a step back, but 1000 pic on that enviroment will help more then King Air Time for future opportunities

Good luck!

GauleyPilot 06-21-2006 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by skualo3
Neither!
Try to go onto a jet airambulance and upgrade as captain on a multicrew, ideally heavier then 20000 pounds, it might feel like a step back, but 1000 pic on that enviroment will help more then King Air Time for future opportunities

Good luck!

Skualo:

No disrespect, but where would you find a jet air ambulance heavier than 20K LBS? Im sure there maybe some out there, but most air ambulances are smaller.

Many pilots have built successful careers in King Airs, and not everybody wants to go to the airlines.

He does not have the option of going to a jet air ambulance, just two different King Air jobs, and wanted some other opinions.

Like I said, I mean no offense, but equipment snubbery sometimes rubs me the wrong way.

LAXFO 06-26-2006 06:32 PM

Slingair,

You're wanting an airline job I presume. Go to the charter side. Get out of the right seat and into the left. Build your time, Multi-Engine Turbine, PIC and Total, quicker than Air Am. Take the pay cut. It's now or later, odds are you'll be with a commuter in the next few years. You'll take a pay cut then anyway.

But then you're going to get a thousand different opinions on paths to take. I'm basing mine on being in your shoes 10 years ago, literally. I was right seat in a K/A 90, Air Ambulance, in Kansas. Now flying for a major airline based on the West Coast.

Good Luck with whatever path you take,

LAXFO

propsr4boats 08-07-2006 06:59 PM

Go Go GO

I think you should do whatever you want to do, i.e. if you want to fly for the airlines peace out and go to the regionals. Commuting, prior to contrary belief, is not that bad, nor is fighting the low pay for one or two years. Being on reserve sucks a little but you'll get through it pretty quick. Once you upgrade things start to go uphill pretty fast from there paywise and seniority wise. Do it.