Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Charter question

Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by EMC2 View Post
No offense taken! I just deal enough with government crap during my work day that I was just trying to avoid digging into the FAR's. But I will anyhow.

My main objective was to verify information given to me from a charter pilot. Not sure I believe everything I have been told. But that is just the scientist in me.
I'm not sure how you verify what he told you other than by delving into the regs. Your best answers are going to point you to specific regs of other FAA material like for

"Are there minimum flight time requirements for pilots?"
the best answer will send you to Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: and suggest you scroll down to "Subpart E—Flight Crewmember Requirements"

or for "flight numbers" – I can't tell if you just mean the telephone designators where for example, United uses a "United" callsign instead of an N-Number, bu if you do, someone might suggest you go to CONTRACTIONS FAAO JO 7340.2 and scroll down to Section 4.

If that's not what you're getting for your answers, I'm not sure what you are verifying other than that "some guy ion the Internet" either agrees or disagrees with your pilot friend.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2009

You're right. I should have done that to begin with. I wasn't trying to cause any trouble.

I'll delve into the regs. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

You're right. I should have done that to begin with. I wasn't trying to cause any trouble.

I'll delve into the regs. Thanks for the info.
Not causing trouble at all . Just no way for you to answer your questions without it, especially when you're hesitant on posting the specific questions.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Line Holder

Well, my question is probably trivial anyhow. The pilot I know claims to be flying all the time. Everyday, all day long. I mean, no days off or evenings or anything. He says this is acceptable for the charter work he is doing. I just find this hard to believe. No time off. I was just trying to ascertain the probability that he was really flying as much as he says. Dumb, I know. But its not like I get a clear answer from my friend otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

It seems pretty clear this can't be the case that he flies that much or he would be violating some regs. I don't know, though. He could be exaggerating.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

For unscheduled ops, you need 13 days off per quarter. So if he was "off" October 1-13, he could work every day, 14 hours/day until March 18-31.

Possible. Unlikely, but possible. More likely is he just likes to whine...we're pilots.......it's what we do!!!!

-mini
Old 10-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: 320 F.O.

Well, my question is probably trivial anyhow. The pilot I know claims to be flying all the time. Everyday, all day long. I mean, no days off or evenings or anything. He says this is acceptable for the charter work he is doing. I just find this hard to believe. No time off. I was just trying to ascertain the probability that he was really flying as much as he says. Dumb, I know. But its not like I get a clear answer from my friend otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

It seems pretty clear this can't be the case that he flies that much or he would be violating some regs. I don't know, though. He could be exaggerating.
I am the chief pilot for a P135 on demand charter cert. in VNY. I can tell you that there aren't many guys flying everyday in the current market. It would be very hard to juggle alot of the FARS to make this happen. To begin with the 10 hours off in any given 24 hour period rule would be a hard one to accomplish if one was flying "every day". I think your friend may be exaggerating just a little bit or maybe he is just working for the very short list of super busy on-demand charter companies in this down market.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: awkward

For scheduled 135, he needs a 24 hour duty free period every 7 days.

For unscheduled 135, he needs 13 24 hour rest periods per quarter.

Those are just technicalities. Today's reality is that the charter world is VERY slow right now. I can't imagine anyone flying all of the days that they are available for.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Line Holder

Actually he doesn't whine about it. He brags about it. Non stop. Like the whole charter would fall apart if he wasn't flying. But there are like three or four other pilots and they aren't getting all that time. Just seems sketchy...
Old 10-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Line Holder

I guess that is why I am doubting the fact that he is actually flying all those hours. If he's lying, that is pretty sad. If he's telling the truth then something is very wrong with his lack of time off. But I have no way of knowing for sure.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Line Holder

I guess ultimately it doesn't matter a whole lot because its not like we're married or anything like that. Its not like I have to live with it. I just wanted to know what the rules were to see if that jived with what he was telling me.

Thanks to all of you for your input!!