Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

African bush pilot looking to move to alaska

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:43 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2009
Default African bush pilot looking to move to alaska

Hello all,

I have been living in Maun Botswana for the last year flying C206s in the Okavango Delta but I'm now out of a job and contemplating heading to Alaska. Just a few questions...

I'd be happy flying singles initially but really want to find a company where I can progress to twin turbine equipment. Any suggestions?

My experience:
CFI, MEI
2200 PIC
100 Multi, Beech Duchess
500 Tail wheel, Super Cub, Scout and Citabria. Mostly from banner towing
500 African bush time, C206
0 Alaska time

Would my Africa time and tailwheel experience in any way make up for lack of alaska time?

I'm considering going to ATP flight school in march to do my ATP rating, would that give me enough o an advantage applying for work in Alaska to be worth the investment?

I would of course rather contact chief pilots in Alaska and ask these questions directly, but I am still in Botswana so it isn't so easy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:48 AM
On Reserve Forever

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Would you like fries with that gear, sir?
Cool

I tried sending you a PM. What was the company in Africa you were flying for? What kind of time were they looking for and did it pay well?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Various

Just do a google search. Lots of companies pop up. The season usually starts in March or April, that's when a lot of the companies hire. Mostly into 206s, 207s, Caravans, Navajos, etc.. I do know things are getting tougher up there and there aren't as many jobs. If you want one, you're best served to go up in person, with resumes in hand. Most companies will out base you in places like Nome, Bethel, etc... Email a few now and let them know you're coming.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by point432 View Post
I tried sending you a PM. What was the company in Africa you were flying for? What kind of time were they looking for and did it pay well?
Yeah, apparently I need 25 posts until I'm trusted to use the PM feature...
I worked for Sefofane, but I can't recommend them. Terrible company to work for, the worst in the region. There are other companies in Maun but hiring is extremely tight now and there are about a dozen people looking for work in town without much luck. All of the companies here hire fresh CPLs 250 hrs and up, and the pay is about $1200 a month. It is an amazing place to fly if you get on with one of the reputable charter companies but it isn't a good year to find work. The safari business has been hit hard by the recession. The only companies really worth looking into would be Mack Air and Safari Air, but I would wait till things pick up before investing in the journey. Here is a link with all the info you could ever need on flying in Botswana
http://www.pprune.org/african-aviati...10-season.html
Old 12-23-2010, 11:00 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by ragdragger View Post
Hello all,

I have been living in Maun Botswana for the last year flying C206s in the Okavango Delta but I'm now out of a job and contemplating heading to Alaska. Just a few questions...

I'd be happy flying singles initially but really want to find a company where I can progress to twin turbine equipment. Any suggestions?

My experience:
CFI, MEI
2200 PIC
100 Multi, Beech Duchess
500 Tail wheel, Super Cub, Scout and Citabria. Mostly from banner towing
500 African bush time, C206
0 Alaska time

Would my Africa time and tailwheel experience in any way make up for lack of alaska time?

I'm considering going to ATP flight school in march to do my ATP rating, would that give me enough o an advantage applying for work in Alaska to be worth the investment?

I would of course rather contact chief pilots in Alaska and ask these questions directly, but I am still in Botswana so it isn't so easy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Take a look at ww.flyalaska.com
Old 04-12-2022, 05:24 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2022
Wink Small Alaska Regional

Here is a contact for you to follow up:

Tim or Nancy LaPorte

Head Office
Iliamna Air Taxi
Iliamna, AK 99606
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 907 571 1245
Tim's Cell:
907 952 1492

Branch Office:
Anchorage International
907 334 9845

Needed for: Pilatus PC12, Must be outgoing, energetic (passengers and freight) Very Active, Loyal Clients, Busy Season Ahead, Friendly Owners and Staff, Housing Supplied, Families Welcome
Old 04-12-2022, 06:57 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2021

Well I…

filler
Old 04-13-2022, 06:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: single-pilot multi turbine captain

You are a bit late in the year, most new hires get picked up for a seasonal slot and are already in training. Try these guys anyway, they have several Cessnas on wheels: https://www.flyalaskaseaplanes.com/working-with-us/pilot-careers/

Anybody still advertising on climbto350 &c. will be getting desperate at this point.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:00 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Continuingappch View Post
You are a bit late in the year, most new hires get picked up for a seasonal slot and are already in training. Try these guys anyway, they have several Cessnas on wheels: https://www.flyalaskaseaplanes.com/w...pilot-careers/

Anybody still advertising on climbto350 &c. will be getting desperate at this point.
And you are late, by about 13 years.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by dera View Post
And you are late, by about 13 years.
Let's hope Mr. Ragdragger found something by now.

Originally Posted by Continuingappch View Post
You are a bit late in the year, most new hires get picked up for a seasonal slot and are already in training. Try these guys anyway, they have several Cessnas on wheels: https://www.flyalaskaseaplanes.com/w...pilot-careers/

I know from experience that Alaska Seaplanes is a great place tp work. Very well maintained fleet, both wheels and floats. You'll work hard and fly a lot.
I haven't worked there, but I do know someone who has and they had no complaints about Iliama Air Taxi.