Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Medical for t prop 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/45909-medical-t-prop-135-a.html)

igbyjet 11-19-2009 01:05 PM

Medical for t prop 135

What class medical is required for 135 charter on demand if you are flying aturbo prop, auto pilot in lieu of SIC, that carries 8 pax?
First or second? Long debate at my work.

bullmechum 11-19-2009 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by igbyjet (Post 714427)
What class medical is required for 135 charter on demand if you are flying aturbo prop, auto pilot in lieu of SIC, that carries 8 pax?

As a general rule , if it requires an ATP you need a first class. From the info you gave your mission might only need a commercial. So, my guess, second class.

johnnysnow 11-19-2009 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by bullmechum (Post 714443)
As a general rule , if it requires an ATP you need a first class. From the info you gave your mission might only need a commercial. So, my guess, second class.

I concur........

ppilot 11-19-2009 07:34 PM

I can't for the life of me think what the debate would be. The fact that you're debating makes me wonder if I'm wrong in thinking that you just need a second class. Unless you're a commuter operation?

FlyJSH 11-19-2009 09:21 PM

Straight from the FARs:

§ 135.243 Pilot in command qualifications.

(a) No certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command in passenger-carrying operations—

(1) Of a turbojet airplane, of an airplane having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multiengine airplane in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter, unless that person holds an airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that airplane.

§ 119.3 Definitions.

Commuter operation means any scheduled operation conducted by any person operating one of the following types of aircraft with a frequency of operations of at least five round trips per week on at least one route between two or more points according to the published flight schedules:

(1) Airplanes, other than turbojet powered airplanes, having a maximum passenger-seat configuration of 9 seats or less, excluding each crewmember seat, and a maximum payload capacity of 7,500 pounds or less; or

§ 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.

(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, a person—

(1) Must hold a first-class medical certificate:

(i) When exercising the privileges of an airline transport pilot certificate; or

(ii) If that person has reached his or her 60th birthday and serves as a pilot in 14 CFR part 121 operations. Notwithstanding the provisions of §61.23(d)(1)(iii), that person's first-class medical certificate expires, for 14 CFR part 121 operations, at the end of the last day of the 6th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.

(2) Must hold at least a second-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate; or

GauleyPilot 11-20-2009 04:07 AM

You said 8 pax seats, excluding pilot seats, so a Commercial and a second class.

ppilot 11-20-2009 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by FlyJSH (Post 714642)
Straight from the FARs:

§ 135.243 Pilot in command qualifications.

(a) No certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command in passenger-carrying operations—

(1) Of a turbojet airplane, of an airplane having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multiengine airplane in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter, unless that person holds an airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that airplane.

§ 119.3 Definitions.

Commuter operation means any scheduled operation conducted by any person operating one of the following types of aircraft with a frequency of operations of at least five round trips per week on at least one route between two or more points according to the published flight schedules:

(1) Airplanes, other than turbojet powered airplanes, having a maximum passenger-seat configuration of 9 seats or less, excluding each crewmember seat, and a maximum payload capacity of 7,500 pounds or less; or

§ 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.

(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, a person—

(1) Must hold a first-class medical certificate:

(i) When exercising the privileges of an airline transport pilot certificate; or

(ii) If that person has reached his or her 60th birthday and serves as a pilot in 14 CFR part 121 operations. Notwithstanding the provisions of §61.23(d)(1)(iii), that person's first-class medical certificate expires, for 14 CFR part 121 operations, at the end of the last day of the 6th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.

(2) Must hold at least a second-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate; or

Straight from the FAR's, I read that as needing a second class. The way you have that bolded makes me think you disagree?

Oldog 01-17-2010 08:52 AM

Been doin' it in 9-pax-seat King Airs for years, an' the FAA knows. Second class.

jergar999 01-17-2010 07:49 PM

The only thing that could require you to have a first class in the case you illustrated would be if you were conducting eligible on-demand operations, but you would also need a second pilot.

the King 01-18-2010 02:55 PM

It might also depend on your OpSpecs. Ours require an ATP and 1st class for all PIC flights.