Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Key Lime Air's SIC to PIC program

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Left

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
We all know that it is not right, but that is the way things are.

Beyond flight school pilots continue to pay to work. They buy type ratings, sign training contracts, accept low wages to gain experience, and have to start over at gruesome wages whenever they change employers.

Everyone pays. Some pay in cash and up front.

Skyhigh
And all those rules you pointed out still apply. That means PFT is just more expensive and might not work out... Do ya feel lucky?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:49 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2009

just tagged onto this forum and read some of the notes about the KLime sic program. If you got your info on Key Lime, I hope it points you in the right direction. I worked for them for a few years and can give you the good and the bad.... 1st hand.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Line Holder

Position: 777ER 747

Could you be kind and share you experience with us, BAD and the GOOD

your Help is highly appreciated
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default In it for yourself

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate View Post
But wouldnt that put them further behind the guys who refuse to "pay to play"?
What if the doctor that was assigned to you paid for that position in XYZ hospital and the other 10 or so guys who were plenty qualified refused to pay for that same position......
If someone is considering paying for a job then their natural career progression has stopped. Often the choice is to permit yourself to be sidelined or try and throw some money at their career.

Doctors, lawyers plumbers and garbage men would never pay to go to work. Pilots however do. What does that tell you about the value of our profession?

Skyhigh
Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Dead career

Originally Posted by ZBowFlyz View Post
And all those rules you pointed out still apply. That means PFT is just more expensive and might not work out... Do ya feel lucky?
How expensive is a dead career? Pilots who pay for advancement are trying to breath life into a flat lined career.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Doing nothing however while waiting for the winds of fate to change rarely produces results.

Skyhigh
Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Left

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
How expensive is a dead career? Pilots who pay for advancement are trying to breath life into a flat lined career.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Doing nothing however while waiting for the winds of fate to change rarely produces results.

Skyhigh
Who waits for the "Winds of fate to change?" ... I perfer the "Grab it by the throat and choke it, beat it up, and stomp on it's throat until you get what you want" method.

...It's worked pretty well for me so far
Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by ZBowFlyz View Post
Who waits for the "Winds of fate to change?" ... I perfer the "Grab it by the throat and choke it, beat it up, and stomp on it's throat until you get what you want" method.

...It's worked pretty well for me so far
I prefer to hump it into submission...
Old 12-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Banker....UGH!
Default Denver FSDO

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate View Post
I prefer to hump it into submission...

Check your 6 Call Denver FSDO for a recommendation of Key Lime. It made me change my mind.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things

Originally Posted by FlyingPirate View Post
Because they get paid like professionals, plus I already paid my $60,000 in training costs, so your point holds no value. When a nurse has finished their education and have spent a year or two working for money, do they pay the hospital they want to work at a ton of money so they can eventually get paid by said hospital?

I cant believe this is even being argued.
THANK YOU!!

...and to WRXPilot...

THANK YOU!!

Companies are taking advantage of the economic slow down to add insult to injury as far as pilot compensation goes. Someday when your career is launched, you'll not have to wonder why getting decent pay and QOL is difficult with all kinds of starry eyed folks willingly undercutting a profession.

And this crap happens at all levels of flying, from your light GA jobs up into the turbines gigs. Spread the wisdom. Let's make this a better, safer work environment by promoting professional treatment of our fellow pilots.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things
Angry

I just looked at Freight Runners "intern" SIC program. In between heaves as I restrained myself from vomiting, I noticed the program requires a person to provide proof of health insurance.

I was wondering, is this because an "intern" SIC is technically an employee, and so to skirt paying medical benefits a person must provide this on their own?

Proof of medical insurance is a very unusual item on a work application, at least to me it is.