Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Key Lime Air's SIC to PIC program

Old 11-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Thrill Seat

Originally Posted by Plantation Air View Post
Hawk,

Many thanks for the advice. I'm thirty and do have my CFI but have met with dead ends on the search for a job instructing. Seems all flight schools now are looking for II and MEI aswell. The money I would spend on obtaining these, while not quite as much, would not secure an interview. I know most think its some sort of aviation faux pas but, having submitted over three hundred resumes, I have to get something going, and this will, at least, accomplish that. Hope you had a good thanksgiving as well.

Cheers
PLantation the odds if you can hold out of the II and MEI working towards your favor are high. The best instructor I had was 30 when he was instructing me, he had no leads on any jobs and was thinking about going to the regionals although none were hiring at the time. He networked at our flight school and was introduced to some one who got him a job at flight safety. Started off as a CO-pilot sim support in the GV making not much more an hour than when he flight instructed. He eventually moved to an instructor position which landed him a GV job on the field. This all happened over a two year period. My point is he is 35/36 now and has 3 type ratings and flying a G200 for an investment banker with the possibility of getting typed in the Global. Timing and who you know are the key things! He never bought time in an aircraft besides the times required to get his ratings, give it time and you'll be in the same place!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Shortcuts?

Originally Posted by FL450 View Post
Not if I could work my way up to that dream job... there are no shortcuts in aviation and those who think they have found them have become news articles...
There are actually tons of shortcuts that pilots take. Ask the pilot who got onto a regional two years ago at 300 hours. His life will be incredibly easier than a struggling CFI right now. There are no pilots given or glory gained in aviation by intentionally taking the hard road. Find your shortest route to your goal and go for it.

In times like these it might mean buying a job.

Skyhigh
Old 11-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Are you a struggline CFI ?

Originally Posted by FL450 View Post
PLantation the odds if you can hold out of the II and MEI working towards your favor are high. The best instructor I had was 30 when he was instructing me, he had no leads on any jobs and was thinking about going to the regionals although none were hiring at the time. He networked at our flight school and was introduced to some one who got him a job at flight safety. Started off as a CO-pilot sim support in the GV making not much more an hour than when he flight instructed. He eventually moved to an instructor position which landed him a GV job on the field. This all happened over a two year period. My point is he is 35/36 now and has 3 type ratings and flying a G200 for an investment banker with the possibility of getting typed in the Global. Timing and who you know are the key things! He never bought time in an aircraft besides the times required to get his ratings, give it time and you'll be in the same place!

You sound like a guy who is stuck as a CFI. I have noticed that instructors are the ones who seem to be the most alarmed by others buying a job to get ahead. So, Are you?

Another thing, Your instructor might have had a fast transition a few years ago but pilots now will have to struggle for a long time to get anyplace. In hard times often pilots have to make their own luck. $$$

Skyhigh
Old 11-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
You sound like a guy who is stuck as a CFI. I have noticed that instructors are the ones who seem to be the most alarmed by others buying a job to get ahead. So, Are you?

Another thing, Your instructor might have had a fast transition a few years ago but pilots now will have to struggle for a long time to get anyplace. In hard times often pilots have to make their own luck. $$$

Skyhigh
Sky,

You're spot on man. I'd like to inquire as to the number of folks out there right now that are instructing and what their prospects are? As far as I can tell, no one is hiring pilots without 3k plus hours (and a motherload of that needs to be twin time). I could certainly be wrong, but with 1200 tt and 150 me, I have submitted over 300 resumes and recieved *******all.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 135 FO

Originally Posted by jasonashley12 View Post
Hey check out this opperation Central Air Southwest. Give them a call. they are much cheaper than the key lime air!!! Go to this web sit Central Air Southwest - Employment and the program is at the bottom.
Nice... they refer to it as "employment"...

Liked this question on the "application" too:

How many hours do you want to fly with CASW?
Pathetic...
Old 11-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009
Position: 757 right seat

I'll be starting it in January and was hoping someone that has been through it (or a similar program) might share their experience. The folks seem to be great, it's just always nice to hear a first hand account. Many thanks!
I'm going to have to jump on the don't do it bandwagon. Pilots who go this route are labeled as PFT's and it will be become apparent in future interviews with regionals/majors. I'd highly recommend taking the money, buying your II/MEI ratings and applying to 135 operators for PIC positions when you meet their minimums. Also, airnet has a paid SIC program where you get a salary to sit right seat until meeting minimums.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Left

Sky,

You're spot on man. I'd like to inquire as to the number of folks out there right now that are instructing and what their prospects are? As far as I can tell, no one is hiring pilots without 3k plus hours (and a motherload of that needs to be twin time). I could certainly be wrong, but with 1200 tt and 150 me, I have submitted over 300 resumes and recieved *******all.
What happened on the 301st?
Old 11-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by taymor1234 View Post
I am not justifying paying, but this is not 2007 any more. This is worst then 911, if you could remember we recover from 911 after 6 month.
Guys we are in a very very bad situation right now and the marked will change, but takes about 2 more years. Do you think a person who paid $ 50 000 to get his rating cares about paying $5000 more to land a job?
I know paying is bad but what other options do you have? and don't say a word about CFI please. When you have over 500 hrs JET time its not cool to go backwards and fly 172 in a hot summer. And there is no CFI job out there at all.

Do you guys seriously think Pilots like to pay money to get the job?
After reading this post, it's become quite clear to me why you're having a hard time finding another flying job. You have 500 hrs of "JET" time, and are now above flight instructing? You are clearly out of touch with reality. There's nothing magic about turbojet time. In fact, I've found that flying a jet is pretty darn easy. Flying a piston twin around single pilot IFR for a 135 operator is much more challenging.

Nobody is above teaching when times are tough and they need to put food on the table and/or stay current. I'd go back to teaching tomorrow if I lost my job, no question about it. So would most pilots.

Your post marks you as a very young and immature person, and would be a HUGE red flag if I was making hiring decisions. Think about what you post online, there are a lot of potential employers here that read these threads.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Find your shortest route to your goal and go for it.

In times like these it might mean buying a job.

Skyhigh
Pretty soon, you may get the opportunity to cross a picket line if you really want to take a short cut to the top. I'm sure management will be looking for qualified individuals.

-mini
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: BE-20 PIC

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
After reading this post, it's become quite clear to me why you're having a hard time finding another flying job. You have 500 hrs of "JET" time, and are now above flight instructing? You are clearly out of touch with reality. There's nothing magic about turbojet time. In fact, I've found that flying a jet is pretty darn easy. Flying a piston twin around single pilot IFR for a 135 operator is much more challenging.

Nobody is above teaching when times are tough and they need to put food on the table and/or stay current. I'd go back to teaching tomorrow if I lost my job, no question about it. So would most pilots.

Your post marks you as a very young and immature person, and would be a HUGE red flag if I was making hiring decisions. Think about what you post online, there are a lot of potential employers here that read these threads.
So just out of curiosity. How exactly can someone figure out who is posting on an anonymous message board?