Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska flying jobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: Full Nelson

I was thinking of starting a new thread about "Summer" flying jobs in Alaska, but I suppose it would be kind of pointless. I have about 1100 hours of Pac NW time in Caravans, Chieftains, etc... I am heading back to school in the fall and don't want to stay in AK past September, how realistic is it to expect that I could be hired up there for a period of 4 months or so? Also, does a float license seem to help a bit, or can you get by without one?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:27 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Here is another one i found on craigslist... No sure if its what you have in mind.. most lodges have their pilots that return every year and like seeing high alaska time.. but hey, its a shot!

Need a pilot/guide for the 2010 season. Must have DHC-2 float time and have some flyfishing knowledge. The job runs June-September and is very busy, I need a stable, hard working person that can put on a smile after 16 weeks and still talk with their co-workers. If you don't have the time or experience or a good attitude please don't waste our time. Pay is great and living accommodations are very comfortable.
Send email or resume to [email protected]
Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: CE510 CA

Originally Posted by VanDriver208 View Post
I was thinking of starting a new thread about "Summer" flying jobs in Alaska, but I suppose it would be kind of pointless. I have about 1100 hours of Pac NW time in Caravans, Chieftains, etc... I am heading back to school in the fall and don't want to stay in AK past September, how realistic is it to expect that I could be hired up there for a period of 4 months or so? Also, does a float license seem to help a bit, or can you get by without one?
Float does help but you need float experience to really be considered. There are two companies Wings of Alaska and Air Excursions that hire non float pilots. Expect to fly single engine pistion(the multi's require ATP and caravans are too senior). The expectation is that you will stay through the cruise ship season(end of august/begining of september). I would start calling around now since they tend to hire in april so they can be ready for the season in may. Also plan to pay for your ticket there and back home. Its a great experience if you can afford to do it(don't expect to make a ton of money).
Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Alaska A&P

Originally Posted by Wildflyin View Post
hmm, I'm interested in the same type of flying, this is a good thread! I'm thinking of taking a couple of years and getting my A&P to throw into the mix. Maybe it would be a better idea to find a school up there and start shaking hands...
I would not get an A&P if your goal is to fly in Alaska. Mechanics are harder to come by in the bush than pilots. A company might hire you as a pilot but you most likely will end up spending your summer in the shop.

If you do get an A&P then don't tell anyone. A better plan in my opinion is to buy a plane and fly around up there till you get 500 hours of AK time while making contacts along the way.

Skyhigh
Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Right on !!

Originally Posted by AKFLIGHT View Post
Here is one in SE Alaska

Air Excursions (Juneau) is hiring experienced Alaska aviators for the 2010 summer season.
Year round employment beyond the summer is possible for selected candidates.

Mins are:
* 1,500 Total Time
* 500 SE Alaska
* 25 C206 or PA32

Please send cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
I have got that time !! Lets go !

Skyhigh
Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
I have got that time !! Lets go !

Skyhigh
I thought you hated aviation as a job? Is there still a spark?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Cessna 205

Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
Era, Frontier, Arctic Circle Air and Hagelands Aviation Services have merged into one big company. They're still in the throes of figuring it all out, but there may be some hiring with them coming up in the not too distant future.

Alaska flight operations and Alaska Flying has a directory of Alaska flight ops. And the membership section posts job offers and links to about 250 Alaska flight ops websites.
Companies usually reduced their workforce when they merge with competitors due to the combining of routes and eliminating duplicated positions.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: 737 Left
Default Sky still wants it!

SkyHigh still wants to be in the game. Aviation is kind of like a terminal disease. Once it bites you, you are in it for the long haul. He's just trying to convince himself that he's over it!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Lefty

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Showing up in person is the best way to stand out from the pile.

Skyhigh
That's the way to get a flying job in Alaska. Most companies go in and out of Anchorage at some time. The best advice is to go to Merrill Field (MRI) (or LHD if you have float time) and talk to people. Most single pilot 135 operators are looking for Alaska time (insurance req's: it really is different up there) but I have heard of guys counting mountainous time towards that (Colorado rockies area).
Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Talking

Instructing in ANC is the best way to get Alaska Time, at least to get your foot in the door and log that AK time.

Thinking of selling my AK time... and bids???